1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Busses and Whisky

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Currawong, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
    Like a caramel / honey version of Laphroaig.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

unwisefool likes this.
  2. JohnTheTexican

JohnTheTexican Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2006
    It really is "wonderfully peated." Very nice.

[​IMG]

I was really liking Ledaig a few years ago when I could get it for around $35 a bottle, but now it's more than Laphroaig 10YO, which is even more wonderfully peated. So now I only have old pics.

Currawong likes this.
  3. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    I read some reviews and notes on that Compass box~ damn if that doesn't sound tasty as hell! Might have to look for that one.
    Kind of funny, yesterday I get an email from the wife, a link to some "top ten" list of single malts~ the best part is at the bottom they put these stupid low prices. The one I liked the best was a picture of Macallan25 and this was at the bottom "Shop The Macallan From $10, drizly.com" I laughed thinking, oh, I get it she thinks I'm only spending 10 to 15 bucks on these bottles o_O:D:D:thumbsup:

Currawong likes this.
  4. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    If you like peated scotches, compass box "no name" is a must try

5. Leonardo63

May 24, 2017
    Well I have to be honest about the peated smoky- Having now collected 5 different smokes, having fell absolutely head over heals with this Aberlour A'bunadh, I'm kind of moving on to my new thrill of Oloroso Sherry casks~ And just this evening picked up a new thrill and will have a new picture for you shortly.

Cobalt likes this.
  6. Leonardo63

May 24, 2017
    GLen18.jpg

Currawong and Cobalt like this.
  7. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    Good one.
    Since you or on the sweet kick. Glenmorangie Signet should be next. One of the tastiest bottles I have ever had.

unwisefool likes this.
  8. Leonardo63

May 24, 2017
    Dude, I was back and forth with Glenmorangie D'Or ~ thoughts? I seriously had 3 or 4 different ones in my hands but come on, 18 years in Orloroso sherry casks? how can you not try that right? but getting real for a moment- man, I am getting some new flavors here that are really cool. I can't nail it down, it's not right at first and I'm not picking it up on the nose, but midway through the palate, I'm getting something really different and tasty - It doesn't finish sweet like the A'bundh at all but sweet right up front. I almost feel like I'm starting to get this sht a little bit! ~ Yeah, I hope I don't fall nuts over head for this because it's not cheap but I just had to try it once or it would drive me crazy not knowing.

Cobalt likes this.
  9. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    If you ever make it up to Colorado, we'll have a drink at my place.

unwisefool, Currawong and Leonardo63 like this.
  10. Leonardo63

May 24, 2017
    Well, here's another secret of my edumacation, I've been vegging out on Whiskey Vault/Tribe with Daniel and Rex for weeks now and those guys make this a lot of fun for a student pilot. Those cats are living their dreams that's for sure. I've learned so much from them. Here's my thing though, Bourbon, can't do it- sht makes me gag and that's just a fact so this is much more enjoyable and way more interesting than Tequila, there's just not the same kind of variety and I've been zeroed in on my agave preferences for years so this has been fun and having guys like you to mentor have made it all that much more enjoyable. I never in my mind imagined liking whisky straight up like this.

11. Currawong

May 19, 2012
    Hope everyone's having a good day.

[​IMG]

12. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    Thats a great shot. I am going to plagiarize it.

Currawong likes this.
  13. Garth Reckner

Garth Reckner Moderator Moderator

Dec 13, 2004
    Great pic. Looks like you found your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Garth

Currawong likes this.
  14. Currawong

May 19, 2012
    This grass is delicious
    [​IMG]

Something is in my way
    [​IMG]

Hmmmm
    [​IMG]

It smells alright
    [​IMG]

Better do a headbutt test
    [​IMG]

There is liquid inside
    [​IMG]

Do I drink from this end?
    [​IMG]

Never mind back to eating grass
    [​IMG]

Cobalt and unwisefool like this.
  15. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    @Currawong Is that your pet or just a new drinking buddy?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Cobalt likes this.
  16. unwisefool

Jan 22, 2007
    Also just tried the smokehead sherrybomb, I had bought it for a friend, and we both really liked it. Very flavorful, I don't feel like the sherry was actually as overpowering as the description makes it out to be and the pear complemented the sweetness really well.

Cobalt likes this.
  17. Currawong

May 19, 2012
    He didn't like it. You can't account for taste.

unwisefool and Cobalt like this.
  18. Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    Never had it and it is not available anywhere near me. Have yu had uighedail o lore and how does it compare to that if you have had it.

19. Leonardo63

May 24, 2017
    HAHA! What's funny is, I bought a bottle of that recently and I'm yet to open it- forgot all about it till I saw those pics- which are cute as hell.... Got a feeling you've acquired a new friend man, and what a cutey that little feller is.

Currawong likes this.
  20. unwisefool

Jan 22, 2007
    I've had both of those. We actually had some lore at the same time as the smokehead. The smoke head was similar to the lore but with an initial sweetness from the sherry, slightly less "salty" but still with a nice peaty flavor and lingering light sherry finish overtop the traditional Islay taste. I'm not great at describing flavors, sorry. But we definitely liked it and I'm going to try and find another bottle.

Currawong likes this.