Busses and Whisky

It's a blended whisky but I like it

IMG-6431.jpg

Vertical tasting!! The best way to do it. That 30yo looks amazing!

Yeah, a pretty cool way to taste them. But it can be VERY dangerous too! :eek: I still dream about that 30... :D I'd ask for another wee bit, but he's almost completely out, and I know it's his favorite.

Interesting as the age goes up, and the alcohol content goes up, the packaging get nicer by steps. Cardboard, to painted wood, to carved(?) wood.

Yeah, and the bottles get a bit nicer too. Should have taken pics of them while they were all still out. I think the wood is likely laser-cut on the 30.

Well HP30 can be had for 9 bills where I order a bit from so yeah, should come dressed to the 9's :D It's in stock too
9 isn't too bad, actually. It's well over $1k out here in CA where he lives, and he can't order booze online.

Little Book chapter 4 just arrived.

It hasn’t hit the stores in Oregon yet, but I was able to source a bottle from the other coast.

AD43EC6D-845E-45D2-A445-7141798935E1.jpeg

This version is a blend of young bourbon, rye and a brown rice “bourbon”. The brown rice definitely influences the taste a bit - adding a fairly sweet mid flavor.

Screen-Shot-2020-09-03-at-3-42-37-pm.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the Jura, it's a bit like high ABV fruit juice. But it's drinkable enough.

I like the other two, though for non-peat whisky I'll still go with Japanese by preference.

The Glenfiddich has a pleasant aftertaste but it only lasts for about a second.

Another MO for some un-findables. Scored another Campbeltown, first go at the Isle of Arran and finally a Deanston12 and a second shot of one I really dig, The Classic Laddie YUM! The Trash2 handled the foil trimming with ease :D

Trashnjuice.jpg

So a little followup to this current batch. Of the group if I were to make a rec, man, you have got to try the Glen Scotia if given a chance. The Deanston and Arran were unimpressive but that Double Cask was certainly worth the wait. What a scrumptious pour!

Have I got a tasty dram for you! This is not your typical Islay, heavy peat. I have to say this is one that hit me right off the first sip to ask myself "Well well, what have we got here?"
I think gut instinct is something to give credit for. I was at my local store on a lunch break stop and had picked up a couple boxes and then I got to looking at this Bunna, couldn't read anything, forgot my glasses so I decided to put 1 back I've had a couple times and since it was on sale decided to roll the dice. I think I just found a new love! This is some kind of different in a pleasant way. 2 thumbs up!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

BunnaScapel12.jpg

I need to start hanging out on Leonardo's patio. It appears to be better stocked than any of the bars around here.

Garth

I need to start hanging out on Leonardo's patio. It appears to be better stocked than any of the bars around here.

Garth
LOL! ... As far as Scotch goes? yes, you are right. I probably don't even have what is on their Scotch rack because we're that far apart :D ~ Anytime buddy, you know that ;)

Such a special Busse custom shop piece deserves to be paired with an outstanding Whisky so today on lunch break I knew what had to be done so I went to the only place I know of who stocks this magnificent and amazing bottle of single malt.
And I must add, this thing is more beautiful than photo's could possibly reveal, simply stunning!!!

YabbaDabbaSignet.jpg

Took a little road trip to visit family and see my grandma who turned 99 this week. Still lives at home by herself, quite amazing really.
So I planed a trip to a place called Purceville Va to visit my first distillery, Catoctin Creek. They brew up a offering of rye's, new make and infused brandy. Their "Roundstone Rye" has won some prestigious awards so I kind of had to visit. Their tasting room has a wall of glass looking into their distilling operation which is ran by a husband and wife and team. I grew up 20 miles to the east of here. It's a very old town in the Shenendoah Valley on the Virginia side. It would have been considered then, and now, out in the boonies LOL!

RRye1.jpg RRye2.jpg RRye3.jpg

My gratuitous photo of my Grand Ma and I. She's actually telling me about the time her and my grand dad made "Home Brew" some time back in the 30's down in a WVa coal mine camp. It was hilarious. She's still sharp as a tack. She was a Rosie during the war, built B24 bombers at Willow Run. She retired from the Pentagon, Dept of Army with a top secret clearance. She was kind of a big deal BITD.
menGM.jpg

Last edited:
Try to get those stories from her written down or on video. Priceless!!!
Oh we have. My aunts have done so much to document her life. She has scrap books mostly from her time in the Pentagon. Once a few years ago we were going through it and I was blown away by all the brass. There are photos of her with 3 different presidents in the background whom she didn't think much of, called them a bunch of fluff. As a woman who raised 5 children through the war and the depression, she's a "pull your bootstraps tight and quit whining" kind of person. She did it all including carrying a pistol beside my grand dad with a shotgun on during the coal mine strike wars. The most patriotic person on the planet and tough as steel with a heart of gold..... sorry, but I can kind of gush on her, she's been my role model my whole life whom I could never come close to compare...... Her stories are amazing, she's seen it all.

Back