Busses and Whisky

One of my scouts sniffed this one out locally for me. This comes from out in the boondocks in Virginia. They bring Malt whisky in from Scotland and marry it with their own Virginia malt and finish in port casks. Very unique! The closest I can compare it too is Balcones Texas malt

Virginia Batac.jpg

A'bunadh, to me is very similar to the old Macallan cask strength I use to get 20 years ago. The other one you will like is Tamdhu cask strength. Excellent stuff.

I got a bottle of Tamdhu cask strength last year, but only got around to opening it last week. "Excellent stuff" it right. It might be my new current favorite Scotch. Still trying to decide whether the bottle's half full or half empty.

Yes John, Tamdhu is awesome! funny thing is, I found this new store where I got this Va malt and they carry a good lineup of Tamdhu so I will be going back looking for this. I've had their Sherry finish and for me, it's a true "Sherry bomb" and probably at the top of the list for me in sherry finished Scotch.

GIqodC2.jpg

Eagle Rare and the trough raider.

One of my scouts sniffed this one out locally for me. This comes from out in the boondocks in Virginia. They bring Malt whisky in from Scotland and marry it with their own Virginia malt and finish in port casks. Very unique! The closest I can compare it too is Balcones Texas malt

View attachment 1450970
I've got a bottle of that! My friend just bought me a bottle of their Islay edition one as well

I decided to try a mixed drink tonight. It's something Cobalt recommended a year or so ago, but I only just got around to trying it. One part Lagavulin 16 to one part Lagavulin 12. I don't normally like to mix anything with my whisky, but this is delightful.

I bought a bottle of Lagavulin 16 a couple of days ago because every store within 50km of me was out of Laphroaig10. They talk about the shortage of toilet paper but they don't discuss the shortage of Laphroaig. This is why priorities are important.

I bought a bottle of Lagavulin 16 a couple of days ago because every store within 50km of me was out of Laphroaig10. They talk about the shortage of toilet paper but they don't discuss the shortage of Laphroaig. This is why priorities are important.
Oh man, there were a ton of Laphroaig 10 bottles at Costco last week. $40 I believe

7TO7NwC.jpg

In the glass is a mix of BSB 103(brown sugar bourbon) and wild turkey 101. The BSB on its own is almost unbearably sweet. Reminds me of a cinnamon roll. With the WT101 it's a little less sweet. I think i might try the BSB in some coffee soon. No sugar needed.

The sky is clear and beautiful tonight but my phone can't do it justice.

Merry Christmas eve to you all.

In the glass is New Southern Revival rye whiskey. A gift from a friend and very delicious. TR enjoying the fire it help build.
UXHl2UD.jpg

I finished off the Tamdhu last week, but when I went to get another bottle, they were out. I went to another store, and they were out too. But they did have a bottle of Talisker Storm on the shelf. I tried Talisker 10 or 20 years ago and didn't much like it, but tastes change (at least mine do), and I've been meaning to give it another try. It's a nice change. Who says you can't drink seawater? When I go back for the Tamdhu, I'll have to pick up another bottle.

I finished off the Tamdhu last week, but when I went to get another bottle, they were out. I went to another store, and they were out too. But they did have a bottle of Talisker Storm on the shelf. I tried Talisker 10 or 20 years ago and didn't much like it, but tastes change (at least mine do), and I've been meaning to give it another try. It's a nice change. Who says you can't drink seawater? When I go back for the Tamdhu, I'll have to pick up another bottle.
Yeah it does resemble smoky saltwater but it's pretty good. I really enjoy talisker. I've had the storm, the distiller's edition, and the GOT house greyjoy. I liked them all but the distiller's edition was my favorite. I've had 3 bottles of the got because it was on sale. I still have 1 left unopened. For $40 it was a good deal to me.

Places around here don't seem to stock Talisker much. Of the three stores I check (two with really good Scotch collections), the one bottle of Storm was all I found, and when I saw the distiller's edition in the past, it cost twice as much. It's probably worth trying, but I'm trying to narrow down the hundred dollar (more or less) bottles to maybe just two or three. Lagavulin 16 is holding its own, but Tamdhu Batch Strength has knocked Aberlour A'Bunadh off it's perch, and took the Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or with it. Maybe Redbreast 21 will sneak in there for the last high-dollar whiskey. Maybe not.

I figure I'll narrow it down to maybe five mid-priced Scotches. Laphroaig 10 makes the cut, and the Talisker Storm. I guess I'll be holding auditions for the other three.

But no matter how many times I try Ardbeg (Corryvreckan and Uigeadail), I just can't seem to like it.

Bourbon and Rye are down to Bulleit Rye and Sazerac Rye. And maybe Buffalo Trace and Evan Williams Single Barrell.

Tequila's coming on strong too. I don't think I need any that doesn't say Don Julio on the label, and preferably "Lagavulin" or "1942" too. But they're all good. Don Julio silver for the mixer, or Patron in a pinch.

Cointreau and Grand Marnier do the job of Triple Sec, except when color is required, in which case Blue Curacao has it covered. My Margaritas are always above top shelf.

For Vodka, Luksusowa makes a fine mixer, as does Titos, but straight up it's got to be Chopin (the potato variety). Don't need anything else.

Gin is Monkey 47 for the house martini, Bombay Sapphire for the well. Hendricks or Boodles will do in a pinch.

I haven't worked out rum yet. Captain Morgan Black definitely makes the cut, as does Myers Dark (which also pulls cooking duty). I've got a bunch of others I've acquired over the years that I'll have to go through and pick one or two other keepers. Pyrat's in the running. I probably need to settle on a basic white rum for Long Island teas and Zombies.

Remy Martin VSOP covers all brandy needs, IMO.

Dry Vermouth, of course, for Martinis, although I prefer a Gibson (or Gibson-like drink) made with Cardamaro, Monkey 47 gin, and three coattail onions.

And Tempus Fugit Creme de Menthe and Creme de Cacao for Grasshoppers.

What am I missing that I really need, and where am I going wrong (keeping in mind that I'm trying to downsize the booze accumulation without foregoing anything essential)? I prefer my booze straight up, and don't particularly care for mixed drinks (other than Long Island Teas, Margaritas, Blood Marys, and Martinis) or sweet drinks (other than Grasshoppers), but do like to be a good host.

Last edited:
I like the Storm and all of their bottles that i can get- heavy on the "can get" locally. Now Uigeadail, there is my fav Ardbeg, and I've come around on the CorryV, this, is NOT a beginners Scotch in any way shape or form and I happened to pick this up very early in my journey- I still call it telephone pole creosote licking mixed with burnt hydraulic oil, asphalt shingles and urine tanned leather so make no mistake, it is an acquired taste. You want to completely turn someone off who's never had Scotch? give them this, they will never invade your Scotch stash, ever. But once you get past all that, there are a lot of things going on in it that are pretty nice. Like most of the Islay's that first punch in the face, once you get over that, there's a lot to discover.

but got to tell ya, lately, I've been really digging that VHW, Virginia Highland Whisky from Virginia Distillery. I had their Courage and Conviction but man, this VHW for me is hands down their best bottle. I see that Balcones just came out with a Tequila barrel finished Texas Malt~ Gotta find that one just to say I did her too!

Last edited:
Back