Busses and Whisky

I have not yet, hopefully next week

You will get Bacon and BBQ. I like it but it isn't my favorite. I actually prefer bitter harsh ashy peat. I have an open bottle of Kelpie and a CR unopened bottle, which I will likely not open. The DRUM on the other hand has grown on me even more. Can't wait for the regular release to come out as well.

You will get Bacon and BBQ. I like it but it isn't my favorite. I actually prefer bitter harsh ashy peat. I have an open bottle of Kelpie and a CR unopened bottle, which I will likely not open. The DRUM on the other hand has grown on me even more. Can't wait for the regular release to come out as well.

That could be the difference right there; I haven't tried the standard version of Kelpie, only the CR. If I were closer to you, I'd snag that CR from you and add to my drinking pile. :D

That could be the difference right there; I haven't tried the standard version of Kelpie, only the CR. If I were closer to you, I'd snag that CR from you and add to my drinking pile. :D

Yeah, my open bottle is the std version. It could be that the CR is way better. They usually are

I like the bottle ;).

My wife likes it and I don't think it's bad for the price. There are definitely whiskies I've had that are more expensive that I've enjoyed less.
Had the chance to try some Monkey Shoulder today - Hands down, a bottle is going in the cabinet for sure- very smooth, very light, easy drinker. Reminded me a lot of the Glenlivet. If I'm to compare it to the Balvenie which has rich, bold flavors, the Monkey seemed quite subtle in comparison, dare I say almost watered down? I've started to develop my spectrum and there's quite a spread between them thus far, the search continues :)

I would only ever recommend monkey shoulder to a novice. There is so much better in that price range, like HP12, Jura 10, pretty much every single malt I can think of. Now if it sold for 15 bucks it would be worth it as a cheap scotch. I can get HP12 and laphroaig 10 for 33 bucks each. Glengoyne 12, Glendronach 12 and Macallan 12 are all at 50 bucks and they are so much better. no comparison.

It's all in what you like though. I have a few friends that love stuff like monkey shoulder and they are perfectly happy with that. And I don't know where you are, but those single malt prices are easily 20% lower than around me.

It's all in what you like though. I have a few friends that love stuff like monkey shoulder and they are perfectly happy with that. And I don't know where you are, but those single malt prices are easily 20% lower than around me.

I may be lucky on that. Monkey shoulder is 30 here and HP12 is 35. When Laphroaig 10 goes on sale it is 29.99. normal price is 35.

Monkey shoulder here is $26 and all the rest are at least $50. Pretty good prices on bourbon though

I would only ever recommend monkey shoulder to a novice. There is so much better in that price range, like HP12, Jura 10, pretty much every single malt I can think of. Now if it sold for 15 bucks it would be worth it as a cheap scotch. I can get HP12 and laphroaig 10 for 33 bucks each. Glengoyne 12, Glendronach 12 and Macallan 12 are all at 50 bucks and they are so much better. no comparison.
See, this right here is the basic stuff I'm looking for - I will take this under advisement and I'm absolutely open to a wide range of experimenting. I'm only at the beginning phase pf finding what it is that I like. I'm not opposed to the spending part to find what exactly that is. I see it a lot like my Busse education I only wanted 1 maybe 2, a few hundred bucks or so and call it good - well, you all know how that works out, LOL! For the time being I'll stick to the less than $100 type stuff until I get onto something and then, who knows, it'll probably be like grabbing all the custom shop and crabshack stuff I can get my hands on :D ~ I have been wanting to try a Macallan because I had some one time I really liked but no clue what it's pedigree was and there are so many it's like throwing darts in the dark for me -

See, this right here is the basic stuff I'm looking for - I will take this under advisement and I'm absolutely open to a wide range of experimenting. I'm only at the beginning phase pf finding what it is that I like. I'm not opposed to the spending part to find what exactly that is. I see it a lot like my Busse education I only wanted 1 maybe 2, a few hundred bucks or so and call it good - well, you all know how that works out, LOL! For the time being I'll stick to the less than $100 type stuff until I get onto something and then, who knows, it'll probably be like grabbing all the custom shop and crabshack stuff I can get my hands on :D ~ I have been wanting to try a Macallan because I had some one time I really liked but no clue what it's pedigree was and there are so many it's like throwing darts in the dark for me -

Not whisky but still pretty good. Local Australian micro-distillery Gin.

Billy-Goats-Gin.jpg

OK Currawong, you made me have to do it. I read a bunch of reviews and spews on this one and decided, it's completely on a different point of scale to the Doublewood - So, I'm looking forward to discovering all this "smokiness of peat" If I'm being honest, the remainder of the Balvenie will probably stay corked from here on out, it was growing on me I have to admit. I also picked up a "mini" JWblack to give it a whirl ~ I did a quickly taste on it, certainly a new assault on the senses but no thoughts as of yet. It didn't make me jump up and down going "WOW" but I'm still acquiring my senses in this endeavor. Sort of like how I came to enjoy Tequila. Twas' a time I thought it was disgusting but once acquiring the taste, I really like the taste and frown at the thought of mixing anything with a good squeeze of the Agave ;) . I never would have imagined saying that at one time. So that's what I'm building towards here. I tried some bourbon at a friends and I'm sorry but nope, aint happening - the smell alone makes me shudder HAHA!

OK Currawong, you made me have to do it. I read a bunch of reviews and spews on this one and decided, it's completely on a different point of scale to the Doublewood - So, I'm looking forward to discovering all this "smokiness of peat" If I'm being honest, the remainder of the Balvenie will probably stay corked from here on out, it was growing on me I have to admit. I also picked up a "mini" JWblack to give it a whirl ~ I did a quickly taste on it, certainly a new assault on the senses but no thoughts as of yet. It didn't make me jump up and down going "WOW" but I'm still acquiring my senses in this endeavor. Sort of like how I came to enjoy Tequila. Twas' a time I thought it was disgusting but once acquiring the taste, I really like the taste and frown at the thought of mixing anything with a good squeeze of the Agave ;) . I never would have imagined saying that at one time. So that's what I'm building towards here. I tried some bourbon at a friends and I'm sorry but nope, aint happening - the smell alone makes me shudder HAHA!

Peat is where it's at!! That's a great one to start with!! :thumbsup: Not too overwhelming but still an excellent full flavor. After that, try Ardbeg 10, and then Laphroaig 10. I'm sure Cobalt could give better advice but that's what I'd do.

With whisky I find the second (and third etc.) tasting better than the first, because the air gets in the bottle after the first time you open it. It mellows a bit of the fire but draws out some of the other tastes. The first tasting is sometimes a bit rough (at least if you down it right away. They say leave it to air for 1min for every year of age, but it can be hard to wait that long). So try the JWB a second time and see if it's any better.:)

Back