Camillus and Schrade of Old Given Short Shrift Now-A-Days

Some Schrade Yellers...
ZmAh2bC.jpg

MMM, those are some pretties! Makes me think (wrongly) of lemon meringue pie (I have been Jonesin' for some). Meanwhile, you may not know that the 835Y with shadow bolsters came two ways. The first version in celluloid is infamous for gassing. Some of the Delrin versions have 'fake' pins; the real pins are Swinden and hidden. You can tell by opening and shutting the knife where the 'real' pin should be.
I've seen those celluloid 835Y knives. The 208, 896Y and 708Y pictured above are also celluloid... I keep them stored away from the others.

Didn't know about the hidden Swinden key and the fake pins on some of the Delrin 835Y knives. Interesting stuff. I'll have to check that out on the one above and a couple of users I have. Thanks, Cal. :thumbsup:

I keep my eyes peeled for decent deals on Camillus knives.
Here are a few I picked up during the past few months...

The USMC Raider Stiletto commemorative was had at the last gun show held in my area.
The money clip knife and pocket knife were picked up during a couple different excursions to the local flea market.
And the 1980's vintage electrician's knife picked up at a local cutlery shop. It was still in it's original, (yellowing), plastic clamshell package when I found it :)

Last edited:
This just in today, I got it for a steal. Camillus 16 heavy jack, same frame as my beloved 70 pattern cattle knives. The comfortable handling, smooth and snappy action with rock solid blades and hefty equal end frame would make this an excellent jack knife to use. It has factory edges and appears unused though, so I will not be using or sharpening it. I like it pretty well.

IMG_4071.JPG

Last edited:
I just bought a nice lightly used Schrade USA 12OT from ebay.
I'm guessing it would be a pretty late one but not super late since it's 1095, I don't know exactly when the switch from SCHRADE NY to SCHRADE USA occurred though.

Back