1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I read somewhere that fawns close their eyes when alarmed, so predators won't see their bright eyes. It was an anthropomorphized animal book, maybe Old Granny Fox. Definitely not Billy Whiskers. (He was a goat.)

Peregrin likes this.
  2. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Funny to me because last spring my wife and I were out on the trail and a fawn stepped out in front of us - not more than 8 feet. I whispered to my wife - don't look it right in the eyes - squint so that it we won't startle it with eye contact. We had our eyes mostly closed but it never stopped watching us with full eyes open. :) All three of us were curious - none afraid. After 2 or 3 minutes it just wandered back into the woods away from the trail. It was a pretty nice close encounter.

KNIFE CONTENT - at the time, I had my puukko on my hip and a Shiro clipped to my pocket. :thumbsup:

Ray

3. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    I got tired of people at work saying "It is what it is" so I came up with the response... "Well it can't be what it's not." o_O

4. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    It's funny you mention this Gary because my wife and I were just watching a show about the Rocky Mountains on PBS and they showed an elk calf that had just been born and it is too weak to support it's own weight for a day or so after being born. So the mother licks the calf clean virtually leaving it "scentless" and left it alone for the entire night. In the morning a grizzly bear showed up which has a sense of smell 2,000 times better than a human and it walked right by the elk calf that was tucked amidst some sagebrush. Mother Nature's symphony :)

5. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
  6. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    One that grinds my gears is..."you're not wrong!"....

Cambertree and veitsi_poika like this.
  7. meako

Sep 4, 2006
    STATE OF ORIGIN
    NSW V QUEENSLAND.
    GO THE BLUES!
    its state against state.
    mate against mate...
    Sorry guys its rugby league thing...best of three tests....the cockroach v the cane toad.
    Tonight.
    If you only watch one game of rugby league this year...as do I....this is the one....you will be amazed at the skill,the brutality and the really lame entertainment.

8. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I'm sure it will be a big game but imho, two boys missing. ;):D

9. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    More seriously, I have a soft spot for this Veteran who 75 years after jumped again over Carentan. Hats off Mr Rice!

10. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    How about people that say "Well to be honest with you" or "to tell you the truth"? So are you generally dishonest / lying? :rolleyes: And the infamous "trust me"... if you're asking me to trust you that typically means I do not :D

Side note... I did use the bread box example today and got a blank stare from my co-worker. I call that success :thumbsup:

11. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    I'd agree with you but then we would both be wrong. ;)

12. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    My brother's favorite: "I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong and it turned out I was right."

13. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Great post! (Also, I love that your local Minor League team plays at Whataburger Field; doesn’t get much more Texas than that! ;) :D)

Prester John likes this.
  14. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Or: "I'm not complaining, but...."

15. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    Capture.JPG

16. meako

Sep 4, 2006
    Dare I say it?...

17. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I thought I was wrong once
    Turns out I was mistaken :D

18. meako

Sep 4, 2006
    Yeah...I used to be indecisive...now I'm not so sure..

19. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I've have a mind... well yeah, I guess I do.

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  20. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I like the way you phrased it, John. ;):thumbsup:
    It's like the self-contradictory and self-referential Liar's Paradox: "This is a lie" or "This statement is false".

- GT