"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Stuart, glad to see you’re back. Hopefully you enjoyed yourself immensely, harvest or not!!!

Thanks, pal. Luckily, all was not lost. As you now, any day outdoors is a blessing. I did harvest a bunch of buffleheads last week, and am starting on getting them ready below:

ApVSz0q.jpg

Marinated in orange juice, soy sauce and brown sugar, then grilled quickly, they were great.

- Stuart

Thanks, pal. Luckily, all was not lost. As you now, any day outdoors is a blessing. I did harvest a bunch of buffleheads last week, and am starting on getting them ready below:

ApVSz0q.jpg

Marinated in orange juice, soy sauce and brown sugar, then grilled quickly, they were great.

- Stuart
Okay, fond feasting memories right there Stuart, glad you enjoyed the time away and glad to have you back posting:thumbsup::)

Neither dead nor diseased, but derelict, my friends. Deer hunting melded into duck hunting and, now, into rabbit hunting, but my haphazard hiatus is over. I am to the Porch returned. Thanks for keeping the light on and for your concerns.

- Stuart
Helloooo. I figured I’d see you wandering the sands of some well known island beach with a smile on your face. Oh well, glad to hear you were enjoying yourself with other pursuits.

Hi to all. I posted this to the Golden Age thread also.....
I’m looking for information on both a London and Sheffield maker with the same name.
A George Palmer is known to have been a cutler to his majesty in 1817 working on St James St. London, but I’ve found little information or examples of his work beyond that, including early history, working dates etc.
I’ve have second hand information about a George Palmer working in Sheffield 1830-1837 as Palmer, and then onward to 1870 as Palmer & Son, ending when tragedy hit and both father and son were killed in a fire. This info was in a collectors entry to his personal notes but can’t point to where the info. came from originally.
I have two examples of simply marked "Palmer" knives. A fleam and a large folder. I’ve never posted photos here and would with some prodding and info on the best way to post pics on this site. The fleam is a brass cased type, two blades, steel rivets, horn well type guard, early production. The stag folder is a monster at 7 1/2" closed, 7" blade, early 1800’s production in original slip case and mint shape for age.
If anyone can point to info. for a George Palmer working in either Sheffield or London I would be in your debt. I’d love to post pics if anyone can describe the best way to.(I’m used to simple point and post techniques!)
Thanks!
Thomas

Hi to all. I posted this to the Golden Age thread also.....
I’m looking for information on both a London and Sheffield maker with the same name.
A George Palmer is known to have been a cutler to his majesty in 1817 working on St James St. London, but I’ve found little information or examples of his work beyond that, including early history, working dates etc.
I’ve have second hand information about a George Palmer working in Sheffield 1830-1837 as Palmer, and then onward to 1870 as Palmer & Son, ending when tragedy hit and both father and son were killed in a fire. This info was in a collectors entry to his personal notes but can’t point to where the info. came from originally.
I have two examples of simply marked "Palmer" knives. A fleam and a large folder. I’ve never posted photos here and would with some prodding and info on the best way to post pics on this site. The fleam is a brass cased type, two blades, steel rivets, horn well type guard, early production. The stag folder is a monster at 7 1/2" closed, 7" blade, early 1800’s production in original slip case and mint shape for age.
If anyone can point to info. for a George Palmer working in either Sheffield or London I would be in your debt. I’d love to post pics if anyone can describe the best way to.(I’m used to simple point and post techniques!)
Thanks!
Thomas
Maybe @Jack Black can help you out...

Winter here in Finland is extremely long, always dark for two months (it's getting better now) and usually very cold c -35c up to. This winter is astonishing, hardly any snow, goes after a day, rain and gales, the other NIGHT was 7c :eek: Usually this is the coldest period, Jan-Feb and we would have in this area around 30cm of snow since late Nov.

So, we're getting it easy? Well, the grass is always greener;) Posting this picture to remember summer lost, this is in the town centre, garden of the block. Returned to the bench with another cup of morning coffee, knife content was in the pocket, but this Hare stayed here didn't mind me, practically could stroke it:D looking forward to the green leaves again.

1tx0DTf.jpg

Winter here in Finland is extremely long, always dark for two months (it's getting better now) and usually very cold c -35c up to. This winter is astonishing, hardly any snow, goes after a day, rain and gales, the other NIGHT was 7c :eek: Usually this is the coldest period, Jan-Feb and we would have in this area around 30cm of snow since late Nov.

So, we're getting it easy? Well, the grass is always greener;) Posting this picture to remember summer lost, this is in the town centre, garden of the block. Returned to the bench with another cup of morning coffee, knife content was in the pocket, but this Hare stayed here didn't mind me, practically could stroke it:D looking forward to the green leaves again.

1tx0DTf.jpg

That’s interesting, Will. This is only our third winter living in Minnesota, but it has by far been the mildest we’ve experienced. We’ve had a few sub-zero days (0°F, that is) but no extremely cold temps, and there have been a couple stretches where it got up above freezing several days in a row, which I don’t remember from last year or the year before.

So far in metropolitan Portland, Oregon, we have had one mildly snowy day with road problems only above the 1,000 foot level. Lots of Portland dew but, on the whole, a mild winter.

20200119-172716.jpg

The Emus on Dalmeny beach. These two didnt bat an eyelid as I walked past....Emus are not native here...there is a small population that escaped from some rich dudes island by swimming across the Tuross River and into the National Park.

What say you all?
Is it ethical to sell a knife you received as a Gift or Porch GAW prize?
Or would you simply pass it on to somebody else that may enjoy it?

Last edited:
More a personal choice than an ethical one. Ethically, I'd say it is yours to do with as you please. Personally I would pass it along if I didn't have a use for it, but if there were a need, I could see someone selling it. Everyone's circumstances are different.

Technically you may sell it. It belongs to you. Be aware though that Gentlemany standards still exist and by doing so you go over the bridge to Flipperville ..a grimy , commercially depressed town where shysters and con men loiter in the doorways waiting to run their rip off scams on the innocent folk of Porchenberg.
It has long been the desire of the Porchenbergers to have the whole of Flipperville and all its scuttling inhabitants nuked from space in the name of Truth ,Justice and the Porchenberg Way !
Of course gifting or doing another giveaway is infinitely better, nobler, more magnanamous, generouser and generally more porchificent.
Long May It Stand ! HURRAH.
:):thumbsup:

Aqua Bunny!
xgoWMIW.jpg

Here is Coco getting his quarterly (or thereabouts) spa treatment. Being a long haired and somewhat elderly rabbit, he suffers from what is officially known in rabbit circles as (I kid you not) “poopy-butt”. A good soaking loosens up the matted material enough that we can remove it. This last time, while I was holding a wet and unhappy rabbit swaddled in an old towel, my daughter couldn’t find the dedicated quarterly-rabbit-rear-end-matted-fur-and-poop-trimming scissors, so I reluctantly let her use my beard-trimming scissors.:eek: Oh well, nothing a good scrubbing with bleach won’t fix, though it makes me wonder if some of the men in that Swiss beard-and-bacteria study weren’t rabbit owners...

( Will Power Will Power ‘s hare picture above reminded me of this)

Back