"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Shifting gears slightly here, but still in the classy, refined tone set by the “Frogs” movie trailer, here are a few of my attempts at the popular “fancy hanky EDC” shot:
kEGHMhJ.jpg

65CRY1S.jpg

M42IVoF.jpg

SUPER BOWL SPOILER:

Guaranteed that the score will be:
49'ers: 0
Chief's: 0

(At the coin toss, and the first kickoff.)

:)

Happy palindrome day, Gary!
5K Qs 5K Qs

That’s funny, I thought about GT, too, when I saw a headline about today’s date. :D

It also got me wondering if there had ever been a GEC knife released with a palindromic pattern/model number. I don’t think there has been, as there are only a limited number of patterns that could be a possibility, and the main blade and number of blades would have to be just right.

TANG-NUMBER-CHART.jpg

You could have a #21 built in 2012, a #61 built in ‘16, a #71 built in ‘17, or an #81 built in ‘18. I think that’s it for patterns; GEC doesn’t have a #60, #70, #80, #90, #01, #11, #31, #41, #51, #91 or #02.

As for main blade and number-of-blades combinations, you could have a regular clip main with one blade (xx11xx), a regular spear main with two blades(xx22xx), a sheepsfoot main with three blades (xx33xx) or a spey main with four (xx44xx).

As far as I know, the #21 and #71 patterns have only ever been made with single drop point blades, so while there were #71’s made in 2017, the middle numbers don’t work (715117). #21’s weren’t first produced until 2014, and there were no #61’s made in 2016 nor #81’s in 2018.

Maybe we’ll see some single-blade regular-clip #12’s in 2021, or a new #02 pattern this year? :confused:

(Sorry, I think I spent way to much time wondering about this…) :D

Thanks, Mark! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)
We've been looking forward to 02/02/2020 for quite a while, since my wife's birthday is Groundhog Day! :D:cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Happy birthday to your wife, GT! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

3DB5LgD.jpg

Did you get her a palindromic gift? A kayak, maybe? Radar detector? A Honda Civic? :D

That’s funny, I thought about GT, too, when I saw a headline about today’s date. :D

It also got me wondering if there had ever been a GEC knife released with a palindromic pattern/model number. I don’t think there has been, as there are only a limited number of patterns that could be a possibility, and the main blade and number of blades would have to be just right.

TANG-NUMBER-CHART.jpg

You could have a #21 built in 2012, a #61 built in ‘16, a #71 built in ‘17, or an #81 built in ‘18. I think that’s it for patterns; GEC doesn’t have a #60, #70, #80, #90, #01, #11, #31, #41, #51, #91 or #02.

As for main blade and number-of-blades combinations, you could have a regular clip main with one blade (xx11xx), a regular spear main with two blades(xx22xx), a sheepsfoot main with three blades (xx33xx) or a spey main with four (xx44xx).

As far as I know, the #21 and #71 patterns have only ever been made with single drop point blades, so while there were #71’s made in 2017, the middle numbers don’t work (715117). #21’s weren’t first produced until 2014, and there were no #61’s made in 2016 nor #81’s in 2018.

Maybe we’ll see some single-blade regular-clip #12’s in 2021, or a new #02 pattern this year? :confused:

3DB5LgD.jpg

Did you get her a palindromic gift? A kayak, maybe? Radar detector? A Honda Civic? :D
In 2022, I hope they make a two bladed, spear main, Small Gunstock: 222222 :D

Excellent! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Someone should pitch this whole palindrome idea to GEC. It’d be a great year to start, since there’s no #02 pattern. Gives them the freedom to do something really unique. I’m thinking 029920. :D

Happy birthday to the Mrs.
This palindrome works in the US and in Europe! :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks, Rachel. :)

TANG-NUMBER-CHART.jpg

3DB5LgD.jpg

Barrett, my wife enjoyed your Happy Birthday pic. As for palindromic gifts, I didn't think to do that this year, but maybe I'm more clairvoyant than I realize. She's had a sea kayak for over 20 years (maybe 22 ;)), and she got a new Civic in 2005 that she's been driving like a racecar (she's from Indianapolis) ever since. She also has more than one level among her tools. :p

I enjoyed your analysis of GEC palindromic tang stag possibilities. :cool::thumbsup:;) I've done the same sort of thing myself, and I also think about tang stamps that include dates or street addresses that are meaningful to me, or what tang stamps might be powerful hands in tang stamp poker. :rolleyes:

Six deuces will be tough to beat in tang stamp poker! :eek::D
While we're waiting on Rachel's request, I'll reiterate a request I've posted elsewhere. Next year, I'd welcome a boy's knife with a single cotton sampler blade; 159121, read backwards, is a meaningful date for me. :rolleyes:

- GT

Back