"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Thanks for the transportation advice. :thumbsup::)
I'm sure I won't get a motorcycle. That would involve purchase, insurance, registration, license, and equipment complications that I'm unwilling to take on for part-year transportation. (Plus, I'd probably crash repeatedly, assuming I repeatedly survived crashes. :()

I do have a bus pass, and it even has about a month's worth of rides paid for on my account, but I haven't ridden the bus since March 11, I think, due to COVID-19 concerns. I may not get back to the bus until I've been vaccinated.

I've enjoyed (mostly) walking many of the places I've gone since March 11. There have only been 3 days when I didn't walk at least 6 miles. But at my current pace, walking seems rather time-consuming. I'm considering getting one of those 2-wheel or 3-wheel scooters with the post with handle bars sticking up in the front that you stand on with one foot and propel with the other leg. Most of my traveling is urban, with sidewalks and curb cuts, so I'll bet I could go from walking 16-minute miles to scootering 8-10 minute miles! :thumbsup::cool::) (Again, not year-round transportation, but relatively low initial investment.)

- GT
Make sure to alternate propelling feet, so you don't get crooked hips.

Thanks, guys.
And good luck with yours, too, Jack.

Thanks Jer, I think I'll be OK, it must have been something else that bit me. I should have been more careful. Before I went out on my hike this week, I sprayed my socks, and the bottoms of my trousers with DEET. I could still smell it the next day! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Thanks Jer, I think I'll be OK, it must have been something else that bit me. I should have been more careful. Before I went out on my hike this week, I sprayed my socks, and the bottoms of my trousers with DEET. I could still smell it the next day! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:
Yeah, it's too bad it's necessary to wear that stink. Picaridin smells different, but it still smells. I'll soon find out what permethrin smells like. Menard's has it. I have some deep foliage yard work to do, so I want the repellent that kills.

Yeah, it's too bad it's necessary to wear that stink. Picaridin smells different, but it still smells. I'll soon find out what permethrin smells like. Menard's has it. I have some deep foliage yard work to do, so I want the repellent that kills.

Yeah DEET certainly works, but I hate the smell. I've got some more skin-friendly repellants too. It's not too bad here thankfully :thumbsup:

I hear alligator grease works well.
The gators haven't gotten this far north yet.
That's when they get you, of course. I'll look out for them.

Yeah DEET certainly works, but I hate the smell. I've got some more skin-friendly repellants too. It's not too bad here thankfully :thumbsup:
I probably already told you about the botanical oils one that almost killed me.
I got a big bottle of permethrin. They say it's odorless.

Wonderful onezies on wooden Wednesday:
N1ENETu.jpg

One week since my deer tick bite. No fever yet, no halo rash (unless I tilt my wrist just right in the right light and use my imagination), and just the usual joint and muscle pain. From 2000-2018 we had 101 confirmed Lyme's case in the county, which Tick-watch says probably reflects 1010 actual cases, which still isn't bad over 18 years. On the other hand, 2018 had 38 of the 101 total cases, and 2019 and 2020 are probably exponentially worse. (I'm an optimist.)
But so far, so good, and if I did get it, I'll be diagnosed and treated quickly.
One of the main reasons I carry an SAK I use the tweezers to pull those dang things off. Generally if you pluck them off within a couple hours you greatly reduce you chances of Lymes. Here's a tip for you google Permethrin you can buy it premixed from Sawyers or mix up gallons on your own. You soak your clothes, then hang dry. Provides good tick protection for like 6 washings.
Sorry I now see it's already been suggested.
Good stuff, stinks at first, but not once dry.
Be careful if you have a cat, deadly for cats but safe for dogs and humans.

One of the main reasons I carry an SAK I use the tweezers to pull those dang things off. Generally if you pluck them off within a couple hours you greatly reduce you chances of Lymes. Here's a tip for you google Permethrin you can buy it premixed from Sawyers or mix up gallons on your own. You soak your clothes, then hang dry. Provides good tick protection for like 6 washings.
Thanks anyway; I might not have bothered to read the directions and tried to use too little. It might go with the depression-era parents territory. I have some windshield de-fogger that's probably decades old, because we didn't want to use it up and be out of it.

I probably already told you about the botanical oils one that almost killed me.
I got a big bottle of permethrin. They say it's odorless.

Crikey! :eek: I remember reading about some essential oils that are used in natural insect repellants being carcinogenic, that was back in the late 80's. The list also included Oil of Bergamot, which explains what happened to Earl Grey! :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

Good info Scott :thumbsup: I have a couple of shirts, which were already treated with Permethrin when I bought them :thumbsup:

Thanks anyway; I might not have bothered to read the directions and tried to use too little. It might go with the depression-era parents territory. I have some windshield de-fogger that's probably decades old, because we didn't want to use it up and be out of it.

I can relate to that Jer! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Crikey! :eek: I remember reading about some essential oils that are used in natural insect repellants being carcinogenic, that was back in the late 80's. The list also included Oil of Bergamot, which explains what happened to Earl Grey! :eek: ;)
I kept the can that almost did for me, with a death's head magic-markered on it, so I wouldn't buy it again. It might still be in the garage somewhere. Meanwhile I'll err on the side of caution.
I can relate to that Jer! :rolleyes: :D
I can get more mieage out of that permethrin: I'll douse my lighter-weight coveralls, and not launder them until the downwind neighbors start choking and fainting.

Last edited:
I kept the can that almost did for me, with a death's head magic-markered on it, so I wouldn't buy it again. It might still be in the garage somewhere. Meanwhile I'll err on the side of caution.

Good idea mate :eek: :thumbsup:

I can get more mieage out of that permethrin: I'll douse my lighter-weight coveralls, and not launder them until the downwind neighbors start choking and fainting.

:D :thumbsup:

It's insect season up here too. Horseflies in plague proportions, mosquitoes, smaller flies then come the Elkflies in the autumn that drop out of branches onto your neck if they can. Horseflies give a very nasty bite that often swell up and some leave scars.:poop:

The Cat got a phat tick on her throat two years ago, got it off with tweezers but she has otherwise stayed free of them, the throat cannot be reached with the paws so easily perhaps? Whenever I go mowing in the long grass either with scythe Grim Reaper style or with machine, I always wear rubber boots- there's quite a few snakes here too, not very venomous but I loathe the things :eek: so boots seem right, ticks and other horrors. Don't like these insect repellents much, not only do they smell-usually-but I don't think it's wise to get that kind of stuff on your skin for long....

20191023-165837.jpg

This was last year...Im not pulling a face...felt like Id been smacked in the eye and the whole side of my face swelled up worse over 3 days...went to the Doc....who basically had no idea and naturally prescribed antibiotics:cool: and eye drops....2 days later I was driving the bus and felt itchy on my shoulder just under the shirt collar...scratched off a minute grass tick...I placed him gently on the dash ....in the blazing sun and toasted the little b#$%@rd...

Got a new toy, - er, I mean, um, - tool I absolutely needed for proper lawn and garden care...
n2nfEy4.jpg

It has been many years since I actually needed one of these for work, so I got a short one (13” blade). Seems to have a little more heft, and cut better, than those long flimsy things I used to use.

As a rule of thumb in Australia (home of the Funnelweb Spider Atrax robustus) we say a spuder that spins a big web in the garden ...Orb Weavers etc can't hurt you.

Accidently wondered into here but then saw this.
Have you ever tried this stuff?

https://www.smidgeup.com/

I've found it appears good against horseflies (which we have in profusion in the fields round here) and I've never found a tick on me yet after I applied this stuff. (I did find a tick on my arm a few weeks ago but I don't apply this to my arms). And it appears to work work against all other wizz wams/midges/biters ect.

Accidently wondered into here but then saw this.
Have you ever tried this stuff?

https://www.smidgeup.com/

I've found it appears good against horseflies (which we have in profusion in the fields round here) and I've never found a tick on me yet after I applied this stuff. (I did find a tick on my arm a few weeks ago but I don't apply this to my arms). And it appears to work work against all other wizz wams/midges/biters ect.

No, never seen it David, I'll look out for some though :thumbsup:

Back