"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Jul 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. donn

donn Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 14, 2002
    Aye I went looking for a non-DEET repellent two or three years ago but was aware of that so thought I'd give it a try. If I was going to Alaska or the Aussie outback then maybe I'd choose something with a bit more oomphf, but for rural England it's fine. Saying that it's meant handle the Scottish midge so it should be good anywhere really. :thumbsup: I get mine from Go Outdoors.

2. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks again David :) I usually go to Home Bargains! :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

donn likes this.
  3. Just Tom.

Just Tom.

Apr 24, 2019
    I love Orb-weavers, but last year around this time we had almost an infestation of them. I spent a couple of weeks gingerly tip-toeing around their webs, some of which spanned some pretty amazing distances, like between my downspout and my neighbor’s fence - roughly 11 feet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Just Tom.

Just Tom.

Apr 24, 2019
    Cut some vines with my new machete, then touched up the edge and did this, because, you know, Really Useful Implements That Are Tools And Definitely Not Toys need to be properly maintained.
    [​IMG]

5. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Ive stumbled upon massive cities of them in the bush...like a hundred...all in one huge webby trap...like out of lotr....when I mountain biked whoever took the lead first thing in the morning took on the webs lol.

6. Student762

Student762

Mar 7, 2014
    I grew up in rural wa, with a massive three hundred odd acre block of bushland behind the house. I used to go running through it every morning and the orb weavers were always out in force, their webs dew laden and shimmering in magical little rainbows in the morning sun. Pretty fantastic stuff.

7. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Ick.

Cutfinger, redsparrow and meako like this.
  8. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I agree.

In the Springtime, I keep a stick leaning by the front door to wave in front of me, so I don't walk into any spider webs. :eek:

9. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    :thumbsup:
    My main use for my hiking stick.

10. Student762

Student762

Mar 7, 2014
    “Like delicate lace,
    So the threads intertwine,
    Oh, gossamer web
    Of wond'rous design!
    Such beauty and grace
    Wild nature produces...
    Ughh, look at the spider
    Suck out that bug's juices!”

― Bill Watterson, Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat

11. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Iago "With as little a web as this shall I ensnare as great a fly as Cassio"

Shakespeare, Othello Act II sc.1

12. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    This could’ve been bad. Thank god for thumbnails. Also, I’m an idiot. o_O

[​IMG]

13. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Been there....

btb01 likes this.
  14. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Oops... Glad you didn't do any serious damage.

15. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I had to say the same prayer a few weeks back, except mine went, “thank God for bones”. :eek::D

16. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Knife cuts can be unpleasant but kind of occupational hazard here ;):D That and peculiar looking bald patches on the arms, even elsewhere....;):eek:

Truly horrible cuts can come from glass though....when I was young, decided to clean the windows in my student room. Window stuck by damp, hand slipped off handle arm straight out the window by some good fortune I grabbed the side with left hand-just as my neck was heading to a large shard! Tendon severed completely so right hand useless, huge spouts of blood coming from wrist and ring fingertip almost severed, held on by the glass splinter that had pierced through the finger nail:eek::poop: Still got a deep ragged scar on the wrist and the finger tip is still unpleasant to touch stuff with to this day.

Ever since then, I refuse to clean windows :D;)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Haegar, babykujo, meako and 1 other person like this.
  17. meako

Sep 4, 2006
    The greatest talent Yorkshire nay England ever produced..!....mind you I think Billy Ray Cyrus had a good hairdo too.

18. meako

Sep 4, 2006
    [​IMG]
    Be vewwy vewwy quiet!

19. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    My dad had a scar on his arm from going through a glass door. He used to tell us it was a lion bite.
    I don't see the wabbit.

redsparrow, meako, Jack Black and 3 others like this.
  20. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    My tree root irrigator arrived today. We've had a couple of good rains, but my big Norway Maple is stressing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JB in SC, Haegar, Jolipapa and 3 others like this.