"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

Friends- Randy and Paul and Ron have had the more contact - but Lan said that Bobs only just holding on. They have a terrible decision upcoming.

I just uploaded all my images to Imgur, and am running this as a test. Just a few faves to see if I got it right.

1zGNhGI.jpg

DaKqRqD.jpg

acjpJAY.jpg

DuG5rAD.jpg

You got it Jeff. The photo of your namesake gives me the chills. I've heard it said that an elephant can kill you. A lion can kill you. But, a Black Mamba WILL kill you.

You got it Jeff. The photo of your namesake gives me the chills. I've heard it said that an elephant can kill you. A lion can kill you. But, a Black Mamba WILL kill you.

- indeed. I am from East Africa. We call the mamba the 'write a letter snake' because it'll be your last one.

They are fearsome creatures and can still chase and maim (read, kill) you even when they're severely injured!

A 3m long mamba can rear 2/3 up on it's body length.........we keep a very clear distance in the safari vehicles if we see one for obvious reasons.

The last one I saw...

blackmamba.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Jack Black Jack Black :)

Over on Edge Matters we've just had a post from a member who is most pleased with his latest purchase of Sheffield slippies and a particular note that he thinks the QC is better of late - this is great news.

However, given current UK government Consultation Paper on knife carry/knife type ownership, and, impending and possible severe restrictions to online purchases, I wonder if the few remaining Sheffield makers have got their act togther because if they don't watch it, they're going to get a boot in the goolies.....to put it bluntly I'm afraid.

Do you know if they have made any moves to have their voice heard, I certainly hope so..?

Sheffield, as we all know, was the birthplace of much knife-making the world over and made a start/great influence to much of the knife making across the pond.

We don't want to see what little there is left of Sheffield makers killed off by government legislation, which, though I thoroughly and utterly agree with the desire to reduce knife crime in UK, imho firmly believe they're going the wrong way about it.

There are already laws in UK to restrict selling knives to under 18's, yet the government has not made any apparent steps whatsoever to bring the fist of the law down upon them - and they know who they are - so instead, they will potentially make all the law-abiding folk who use these lovely slippies properly as tools, suffer.

If you, knarfeng knarfeng Peregrin Peregrin think this is an inappropriate post, or should be elsewhere, please delete or move as necessary.

Hello Jack Black Jack Black :)

Over on Edge Matters we've just had a post from a member who is most pleased with his latest purchase of Sheffield slippies and a particular note that he thinks the QC is better of late - this is great news.

However, given current UK government Consultation Paper on knife carry/knife type ownership, and, impending and possible severe restrictions to online purchases, I wonder if the few remaining Sheffield makers have got their act togther because if they don't watch it, they're going to get a boot in the goolies.....to put it bluntly I'm afraid.

Do you know if they have made any moves to have their voice heard, I certainly hope so..?

Sheffield, as we all know, was the birthplace of much knife-making the world over and made a start/great influence to much of the knife making across the pond.

We don't want to see what little there is left of Sheffield makers killed off by government legislation, which, though I thoroughly and utterly agree with the desire to reduce knife crime in UK, imho firmly believe they're going the wrong way about it.

There are already laws in UK to restrict selling knives to under 18's, yet the government has not made any apparent steps whatsoever to bring the fist of the law down upon them - and they know who they are - so instead, they will potentially make all the law-abiding folk who use these lovely slippies properly as tools, suffer.

If you, knarfeng knarfeng Peregrin Peregrin think this is an inappropriate post, or should be elsewhere, please delete or move as necessary.

Hey Paul,

That's good news about the improved QC. I've only had Sheffield knives from A.Wright & Son and one from the Eggington Group, a Barlow with the Joseph Rodgers tang-stamp, over the past year. I was unimpressed by the Barlow, but I think Wright's quality has been much better for the past few years, and continues to improve. I don't think the improvement has anything to do with this pernicious proposed legislation though, since it pre-dates the proposals. They certainly weren't aware of it the last time I was over at Wright's. When there were more of them, and they were bigger employers, the Sheffield cutlers made submissions to Parliament in respect of proposed legislation. For example, they argued that a lock on a folding knife was a safety feature, and didn't make it inherently more dangerous. Parliament took account of their views in terms of drafting legislation, but the law on lock-knives was then re-interpreted, as you know. This time, I doubt they'll be given much consideration either. If you look back a few pages (from the link I gave you - https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...tales-vignettes.754492/page-863#post-17533589), you'll read plenty of opinions on the matter :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Our friend Bob Bendel (BigBiscuit) passed away this morning please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Amen Randy, heartache here and continued prayers for Bob's family. I'm only glad Bob suffers no more as he fought so hard for so long.

Oh my God.
This heartbreaking - I’m glad only that the pain has gone for our mate.

Bob your new Journey has begun my friend- I hope that it is all that is promised.

Bob - BigBiscuit, Rest in peace my friend! No more pain and suffering! Prayers for Bob's family.

:( While I'm incredibly sad that Bob is no longer with us, I am glad to know that he's no longer suffering. I hope his family can find solace knowing that Bob is at peace now and no longer in pain.

Randy, Paul, et al., thank you guys for keeping us up to date over this last week or so. It means a lot.

There's one thing of which I'm fairly certain: BigBiscuit won't soon be forgotten here on the Porch!

Back