Carrying a Swiss army knife for EDC

After much reading in multi tool forum here, I decided to try something new https://imgur.com/a/iOQ5RCw

Ok tried posting a photo. Don’t know how good it worked. I found a Vic classic, sharpened it and added it to my keys.

LatY7Vm.jpg

iOQ5RCw

Last edited:
I do have a nice Huntsman (?) my wife and daughter got me for Christmas before the other kids were born. I haven't carried it in 10 years because it was a gift and I don't want to lose it but I plan to one day.

JC, that is exactly why that knife should be carried; it was a gift given with love from your family. It would honor them to see you carrying it and using it. The Best legacy is not a mint condition item that looks like has never been used, but one well used with respect and not abused. It will have a lot of memories built into it with every scratch and ding spent in your service. Long after you are gone, your kids may look at it and say, "Boy, dad sure must have loved that huntsman. It looks like he used the heck out of it."

If you're really worried about loosing it, just use a lanyard, or as we called it in the army, a dummy cord. Keep it attached to you. But use it.

JC, that is exactly why that knife should be carried;

I've never thought of it like that. A couple years ago I lost a knife I really liked and I'm still a little gun shy. I hadn't lost a knife since I was a small child.

No I absolutely do not.
I love 'em but have too many other knives to be able to carry a Vic every single day.

For a while I had one of 3 Vic classics on me every day for the toothpick and tweezers mostly, but with my perma-pick in my pocket I don't need them as much.
The scissors are unsurpassed though, so there's still that.

I carried my beloved recruit last week.

It's one of the best models they make in my opinion.

The Leatherman Ps4 Squirt replaced any inclination I have for a Classic. I have one each car key rings, so I almost always have one in my pocket. I seldom use the blade on it, but it's there should I need it.

But, I carry a Vic SAK everyday in addition to the Squirt.

I carried my SAK alox Electrician as my EDC for a couple months, and moved across the country with it bouncing along in my pocket. It remains my favorite SAK model -- big enough for a full grip, the most useful tool mix for me, no keyring digging into my palm (or needing to be filed off), and a pleasing balance of weight and durability with the alox scales.

Yes, I EDC a SAK. I've had a Vic Classic on my key-chain for many years, probably always will. The Classic is a proven asset to have on hand for everyday life. Removing a splinter, trimming a broken finger nail or an errant nose hair, freeing an annoying food particle from the teeth (not to mention the blade's uses) are a few "classic" reasons why it's best not to leave home without one. :)
UuXCA2v.jpg

While the Classic is a capable companion, to feel completely prepare for the day I often put one of it's cousins in my pocket at the same time. I carried a Farmer almost daily for quite sometime
4sNjsWo.jpg

but I rarely needed a saw. I wanted something smaller and lighter and began totin' a Sportsman.
xWyYkis.jpg

I decided I would get more use from a phillips screwdriver than a corkscrew and swapped the Sportsman for an Evogrip 11.
9cXOXZl.jpg

I missed the quality punch and solidness of alox and picked up a Wenger Soldier.
X1u1MTg.jpg

Realizing I have never used a Vic can opener I tried an Electrician. It has a fantastic sheepfoot blade and is more useful than the Soldier's can opener.
bC5Jgh5.jpg

Since finding the Electrician I have been alternating my daily carry between it and a Tinker that I truly enjoy all the while keeping the Classic on my key-chain...
8YZyLtA.jpg

...and so goes the journey. Yes, I EDC a SAK, just not the same SAK everyday.:)

I really like the Electrician as well. Just have been carrying my Small Tinker which also has two blades. I like having the tweezers and tooth pick available should a need arise for either. I've never used a SAK saw except in the woods and if I think about it, I'll slip the One Handed Trekker into whatever bag I am carrying in the woods.

I like the Spartan, but have never had a need for a corkscrew. I don't own a Farmer, just the two versions of the Trekker.

Last edited:
I like the Spartan, but have never had a need for a corkscrew. I don't own a Farmer, just the two versions of the Trekker.

The screwdriver on the can opener can be used for ph head screws, but the corkscrew has other functions. You can pick apart a tight knot with it. Of course, the ph driver on the Tinker can double as a fist load in self defense situations, so multiple functions can be found for any of the tools.

The screwdriver on the can opener can be used for ph head screws, but the corkscrew has other functions. You can pick apart a tight knot with it. Of course, the ph driver on the Tinker can double as a fist load in self defense situations, so multiple functions can be found for any of the tools.
If I'm fishing, I'll keep a big needle with me for knots in monofilament. Yes, a corkscrew could be used for that purpose. Never really considered a SAK as a fist load.... something to think about.

If I'm fishing, I'll keep a big needle with me for knots in monofilament. Yes, a corkscrew could be used for that purpose. Never really considered a SAK as a fist load.... something to think about.

You open up the back mounted Phillips driver and have it sticking out between the index and middle fingers like a push dagger. A punch to the face or throat of an assailant will be very effective as a behavior modifier.

You open up the back mounted Phillips driver and have it sticking out between the index and middle fingers like a push dagger. A punch to the face or throat of an assailant will be very effective as a behavior modifier.
I'm sure the corkscrew would be as effective in this role?

Possibly, but the ph driver would be less likely to poke a hole in an adversary or injure your hand. In any case, a solid shank screwdriver would be more comfortable in its closed position, and unless you have a reason to carry one, more practical than a corkscrew.

I'm not sure the texture and nature of the cork screw would be good for fingers in an impact situation. At least with the Philips driver, I have a tool that Ihav a use for. I'm not really a wine person, and in fact I don't even like the stuff. Pretty much a beer and whiskey drinker, although I did some brain cell damage back in my misguided youth stage. We put away a good amount of Boone's Farm in those days. :rolleyes:

That could have a bit to do with the fact that I won't touch wine now at all. :confused:

I'm not sure the texture and nature of the cork screw would be good for fingers in an impact situation. At least with the Philips driver, I have a tool that Ihav a use for. I'm not really a wine person, and in fact I don't even like the stuff. Pretty much a beer and whiskey drinker, although I did some brain cell damage back in my misguided youth stage. We put away a good amount of Boone's Farm in those days. :rolleyes:

That could have a bit to do with the fact that I won't touch wine now at all. :confused:

IIRC from my misguided youth, Boone's Farm does not require a corkscrew. Like most fine wines it has a screw-off metal cap. Much better for retaining the carbonation of a good wine. :p

I like the corkscrew for undoing knots actually, I'm disabled and have limited finger strength and mobility so it's a real help sometimes.

I like the corkscrew for undoing knots actually, I'm disabled and have limited finger strength and mobility so it's a real help sometimes.

I can identify with that!

Age and arthritis have done a bit of disabling on my fingers, and I very often have to resort to the SD tip of the classic that was always on my keyring, and now the little spear shaped tip of the executive that I now carry in place of the 58mm. I find wiggling the nail file tip under the knot can work even a very tight knot to loosen up.

Back