Carrying a Swiss army knife for EDC

I don't drink wine but the corkscrew is a dynamite container for my little eyeglass screw driver. This is the main reason why I gave up the centurian for the huntsman. I love both knives but am carrying the huntsman daily now. I had edc'd the centurian for about 10 or 12 years before the change.

Can't say I ever drank Boone's Farm or Thunderbird for that matter. I don' like apple wine or cider. Strawberry? Forget it. I always remembered it as about $1 a bottle. I went through the wine stage of life. Will occasionally drink some wine but certainly not Boone's Farm. I'd rather drink a Coke.

Can't say I ever drank Boone's Farm or Thunderbird for that matter. I don' like apple wine or cider. Strawberry? Forget it. I always remembered it as about $1 a bottle. I went through the wine stage of life. Will occasionally drink some wine but certainly not Boone's Farm. I'd rather drink a Coke.

Snob. Prolly hold your pinkie up when you drink too. :D

I do carry a SAK everyday.
I've changed the model I carry many many times over the years...Soldier, Farmer, Electrician, Tinker, Super Tinker, Hiker, One-hand Trekker, Locksmith, Explorer...and more that I can't recall right now.
I was carrying a Vic Fieldmaster for a while, but I hardly ever used the saw...but I would frequently find myself in need of some small pliers.
So now I carry a Vic Deluxe Tinker; which I think is perfect for my everyday needs.

Besides that, I have a Vic Classic on my keyring.

But I also carry a Spyderco Delica 4 most of the time for those moments when I need to cut something RIGHT NOW!!!

Corkscrew?? And all this time i thought that was a small screwdriver holder!
AllenC i think we are on the same page. I love switching up my carry options of which i have several and have a need for many more.
So many SAK’s still to collect. :)

Do you carry a Swiss army knife as your every day carry knife? And what model of Swiss Army knife do you carry?

No, I don't.

I grew up with Ulster BSA knives and deep affection for the general pattern regardless of who makes them.

But I've found that pocket sized knives of this sort just don't work for me. I have big, XL hands and vastly prefer a full sized folder like a Buck 110 or Opinel 9. These get carried in my right rear pocket and get used a lot. I've tried more knives in the general SAK size range than I can count and have learned by trial and error that I simply am happier with a bigger knife.

For tools, I find butterfly style knives like the Leatherman more useful. I EDC a Micra in my right front pocket and that more handles the things I would get from just about any SAK.

Lastly, I carry an EDC bag most places and carry a small Juice there. I rarely need pliers or a saw and such like that but if I do, I'd rather have a proper Leatherman than a camper pattern variant.

I'm not busting on SAKs. Loads of folks love them and if that fits their day/day life, that's great. I just prefer a bigger knife and cover the utility with a Micra and Juice back up.

I don't drink wine and have never used the corkscrew for opening a wine bottle. But I've found the corkscrew very useful for loosening overly-tight knots.

Jim

The Classic on a keychain is "gasp" all I carry everyday. Thinking mans knife in that a small sharp tool is better than a big dull tool. I downsized from a ZT350 to a Manix 2, to Paramilitary 2 to Spartan to Pioneer to Classic only. Waistband carry is for guns only.

The Classic on a keychain is "gasp" all I carry everyday. Thinking mans knife in that a small sharp tool is better than a big dull tool. I downsized from a ZT350 to a Manix 2, to Paramilitary 2 to Spartan to Pioneer to Classic only. Waistband carry is for guns only.

Well, you're not alone. Apparently the classic is the worlds most produced and sold pocket knife. It also had the dubious honnorof being the front cover photo of one of the knife magazines, as the most confiscated knife at airports. TSA collects a huge number of them a year from people ranging from school teachers to priests to business types in suits that cost more than the regular working guy makes in a week.

I downsized pocket knife to fit in coin pocket of jeans because my right hand pocket is for the EDC pocket pistol.

I've had more than a few confiscated at the airport and the only way that I came to terms with it was that you can buy a TSA confiscated lot on Ebay for quite cheap. There may be some turds mixed in there but often you get a bunch that are hardly used at all. Love me some Classics.
Well, you're not alone. Apparently the classic is the worlds most produced and sold pocket knife. It also had the dubious honnorof being the front cover photo of one of the knife magazines, as the most confiscated knife at airports. TSA collects a huge number of them a year from people ranging from school teachers to priests to business types in suits that cost more than the regular working guy makes in a week.

I downsized pocket knife to fit in coin pocket of jeans because my right hand pocket is for the EDC pocket pistol.

I've had more than a few confiscated at the airport and the only way that I came to terms with it was that you can buy a TSA confiscated lot on Ebay for quite cheap. There may be some turds mixed in there but often you get a bunch that are hardly used at all. Love me some Classics.

That's where I've bought all the classics I've had since 9-11. I try to always have a classic on me to gift off to people I find needing a knife and don't have one. I see the classic as the gateway drug to SAK's. Sort of a pocket knife version of the Giddeons Bible. A hopefully addicting freebe.

There was a lady that showed up at the gun shows back in Maryland with TSA confiscations. Big boxes of mostly SAK's, and mostly the 58mm's. Mostly classics. She charge 5 dollars for one, and of you bought 5 of them, then it was 3 dollars each. I always bought a handful off her to give away. Most were in need of a clean up, b ut with blade edges that were still the original edge. Carried a lot, and used very little.

I think the Vic classic is the worlds most under estimated pocket knife.

Yessir I agree with you. Classic was my very first knife and I have already given one to my son as his first knife. My mother in law has given me a few as its on Christmas because she knows how much I love them, and on those Christmas mornings they immediately earned their keep cutting open packages, unscrewing covers to add batteries to kids toys etc. Whenever I catch myself getting too knife obsessed I will put my folders away and roll with a Classic only. Always fun to downsize, remember where it all started, and practice a little "Maximum Minimalism". :cool:
That's where I've bought all the classics I've had since 9-11. I try to always have a classic on me to gift off to people I find needing a knife and don't have one. I see the classic as the gateway drug to SAK's. Sort of a pocket knife version of the Giddeons Bible. A hopefully addicting freebe.

There was a lady that showed up at the gun shows back in Maryland with TSA confiscations. Big boxes of mostly SAK's, and mostly the 58mm's. Mostly classics. She charge 5 dollars for one, and of you bought 5 of them, then it was 3 dollars each. I always bought a handful off her to give away. Most were in need of a clean up, b ut with blade edges that were still the original edge. Carried a lot, and used very little.

I think the Vic classic is the worlds most under estimated pocket knife.

Yessir I agree with you. Classic was my very first knife and I have already given one to my son as his first knife. My mother in law has given me a few as its on Christmas because she knows how much I love them, and on those Christmas mornings they immediately earned their keep cutting open packages, unscrewing covers to add batteries to kids toys etc. Whenever I catch myself getting too knife obsessed I will put my folders away and roll with a Classic only. Always fun to downsize, remember where it all started, and practice a little "Maximum Minimalism". :cool:

Good Lord, I thought I was the on;uy downsized knife nut that did that.

I goto not the Vic executive last July, and it's become a favorite EDC carry by itself. It has a blade long enough to cut a sandwich in half, and I like having two blades on hand.

But...I still find myself deliberately putting it in the drawer and putting the little classic in it's leather pouch sheath back on my keyring, as an exercise in the old maximum minimalism. Like a drunk thats been sober for a long while, taking a little swig of the demon rum just for a taste of the days of yore. Maybe I spent soooo many years using a classic and giving them away like Giddeons Bibles I'm like an addict that can never fully shake the little classic. After more than 20 years, something becomes a hard to shake habit. Like my love of minimalist tools like Fenix E01 flashlight, Victorinox classic, Leatherman Squirt, small monoculars, and North American Arms .22 mini revolvers.

Small, but capable of getting the job done.

Like my love of minimalist tools like Fenix E01 flashlight, Victorinox classic, Leatherman Squirt, small monoculars, and North American Arms .22 mini revolvers.

Small, but capable of getting the job done.

The humble p38 can opener is a great example in my opinion. That and a BSA Hotspark. Both have spent time on my keys. I see both as critical pieces of my edc

Back