Cast Iron Beckerheads, Sound Off!

De-boned stuffed trussed ready for the oven. A Gallatine turkey

view

Last edited:
1DFC3E74-C1DE-46E7-98EC-F431C8658860.jpeg 8E2ED99E-D132-4171-958A-73534F35BB00.jpeg

The gravy made in the frying pan I cooked the turkey in. I love cast iron.
I made the Roux in a cast iron pan yesterday, for Mac and cheese last night gravy today, and still have some left for the real turkey day.

It was good, the only bones were in the drumsticks. Cut them off, then slice it like a meat loaf.

Never thought of the chicken liver dish but I’ll bet it was pretty dang good!

Did you use butter for the chicken livers, and start them first to make them crispy?

Just wondering as I’m going to try that dish myself, now!

Onions go in first. Always start with the onions. The chicken livers cook pretty quick, and yes to butter.

Chicken livers come in a big tub. The secret is to split them into single serving size in zip lock baggies then freeze them. They freeze really well when raw and no need to thaw them to cook them. They never get crispy.

Last edited:
I picked up a Gris #9 dutch oven, then a lid. Turned out the lid was for a #8.... It does fit my #8 pan(s).

But I've recently taken delivery of a Stargazer 12". Haven't actually tried it yet as the handles are annoyingly long, but everything else about it looks awesome. Hope to put it to work on Thursday.

Griswold no. 9 Dutch oven my wife found. Whopping $3.99 Cdn. Looking forward to cleaning this up and getting some use out of it.
Dang, hell of a good deal. :thumbsup:

Thanks GeofS GeofS It’s really not hard to do. Chickens are much easier. If you do a chicken, you even debone and stuff the drum sticks.

This is the turkey after de boning

view

salt pepper then a layer of spinach then the stuffing roll it and truss it. Easy peasy

Last edited:
The Stargazer 12", 2nd or 3rd use now. I approve.
The interior is ground smooth, not left pebbly oversize and thick. The sidewalls are straight - it's an actual conic section, so you can scrape the walls with a straight-edged spatula pretty easily. Pour-over lip all the way around. The handles are.... long. Kinda inconvenient. I can't keep it on the stove w/ the vintage Griswold stuff, and it would take up a lot of room in the oven. But if you're doing something heavy in it, you can easily and safely heft it with two hands w/o touching the hottest part.
Given what vintage Griswold stuff costs now, I'd say the Stargazer stuff is priced right for its performance. The 12" is pretty big. Usually I use a Gris #6 or #8 (stack in the corner is #3,6,8), but am having fun playing with the new toy. It is similar in body dimensions/capacity (maybe a tiny bit deeper?) than a Griswold #9, which I have out at the cabin. But they're hard to come by.

IMG_20201129_195046-small.jpg

E7C8ABB1-007A-441E-BEF1-B7A0FF2C275F.jpeg Making sausage hash. Cooking the peppers separate so the don’t get steamed. I like them fried blackish.

B75A4041-9148-4484-A2E3-64F02A6E059C.jpeg Sausage peppers and onions are done. Cooking potatoes separate so they get crispy. They are about 1/2 done.

Back