Cast Iron Beckerheads, Sound Off!

51994818314_39b32b89e9_c.jpg

Bacon, hash browns, hamburger, and chedder cheese....... all the important food groups covered...
Good Lord!
That’s gold medal material my friend!

I’ve used these two for years.
I don’t believe in the old wives tales when it comes to cast iron. “No scotch-brite, no soap…that’s a bunch of BS and scares people away from cast iron.
My only “trick” is that when I’m done cooking and the pans are clean, I’ll put some olive oil in the pan and turn it on high. Once the oil is good and hot I’ll wipe all the oil off with a paper towel.
I can usually wipe off any of my cooking with a paper towel and then run it under hot water with or without dawn soap and an easy scottch-brite pad. Both these pans are are like glass and have been for a while.
Cast iron just wants to be cooked in. And the more it is the better it gets. No tricks. No special cleaning. Just put some hot oil in it when you’re done cooking. I’ll swear by it.

wfCwJ44.jpg

lfIQK3O.jpg

I found out, that my cast iron oven, with three legs, and with a lid that has a tall lip running all around, is not a Dutch Oven. :oops:
It's a camp oven.

A Dutch Oven has no legs, and no lip around the lid. A Dutch Oven is meant for use in the kitchen.
(All this time, I called my poor, little camp oven~ a Dutch Oven.) :rolleyes:
(I really need to TRY my camp oven!) :eek:🤪

I found out, that my cast iron oven, with three legs, and with a lid that has a tall lip running all around, is not a Dutch Oven. :oops:
It's a camp oven.

A Dutch Oven has no legs, and no lip around the lid. A Dutch Oven is meant for use in the kitchen.

A difference in carbon content from carbon steel to cast iron of what, 1.2% or so??
I got my first carbon steel skillet recently, not exactly the same...

It's a camp oven.

The SMEs on cast iron disagree with you:

the divided griddle on the lodge website is on sale - perfect for doing 1 pan meals.

It's a camp oven.

No legs... no lip around the lid?
Your post puzzled me.... what's your source for that info?
Have I been wrong all my life about what a dutch oven looks like???
... as a dutchman that would be shamefull ;)

coockie-monster-panic.gif

I do think a dutch oven comes with legs and lip aroud the top so you can put some coals on top.... so I did some digging....
according to wikipedia a dutch oven can have have legs and a lip for sure...

*whew* I can look at myself in the mirror again. :D

image from wiki from an American Dutch oven, 1896:

Gauntlets have dropped ... WHUMP!!
(Oh yea, er, mumble, mumble.... where was that?)
>>>Please Standby. Editing in progress.<<<
(Imagine intermission music. :) )

Last edited:
Back