Cast Iron Beckerheads, Sound Off!

Not cast iron, but Ethan's old steel skillet that's been everywhere and cooked everything. Now lives in Barlow and still cranking out good grub.

Trade,

Carbon Steel Pans probably deserve their own thread.
They work so well.

I call them "NQCI" (Not Quite Cast Iron)
But they are very close.

Anything that starts out with peppers and onions is on the path to greatness.

I didn't have any suasage, so I sliced some leftover steak thin, added at the last minute just to warm through,

Some Havarti Cheese with caraway,

Sort of a Michigan version of a Philly Steak & Cheese,

The celebration of St. Padraig is always an event here.
This year I decided to do the cooking outdoors,

Cooking coned beef properly requires certain procedures,

One Guinness in the pot, one in the cook,

Cooking with wood, requires, well wood,

I like smaller pieces, it's easier to regulate the temperature,

Once you get it to a simmer, it really doesn't take a lot of fuel,
Wood, unlike a lot of other cooking fuels, doesn't care if it's cold out.

Added some onions,

To avoid alcohol poisoning during the cooking process.
I tossed a few dogs into the simmering pot to cook at the halfway mark.

Hard to see, but they're in there,

Warm the rolls,

Crisis avoided,

Doneness testing,

I bought a less than quality piece of beef, but life goes on,

Wrap it and let it rest a bit while cleansing the pallet in preparation for the meal,

Slice,

Add some quality Swiss Cheese, and good Rye Bread, and it just doesn't get much better,

While I was rinsing and repeating, I added some potatoes, and carrots for a future meal.

Fun day!

Last edited:
51994818314_39b32b89e9_c.jpg

Bacon, hash browns, hamburger, and chedder cheese....... all the important food groups covered...

We all have our crosses to bear, I can't eat Mayo.
Can't tell you how many sandwiches I tossed or gave away because deli folks can't process not putting mayo on everything.
A lot of places cook the meat for Philly steak sandwiches with the peppers and onions in it so most of the time if I want a Philly steak sandwich I have to make it myself

Started the beans for lunch060503D2-223D-4CD2-9E27-DC4650377B66.jpeg5A06550D-28BE-4B09-860A-ACDBCA91908F.jpeg
The recipe calls for 10 min cook time. I prefer low and slow for a couple hours. Of course the recipe didn’t call for onions tomatoes and chiles. I guess I’m not actually using the recipe after all.

Last edited:
The stores have had beautiful tomato lately, so we’ve been on a bacon sandwich kick these last few weeks. Been sitting outside more. The weather has turned. 60F and sunny now, most days. I usually transfer the bacon grease to a smaller roasting pan and use it for vegetables. Sitting down to lunch now…

r4bNehX.jpg

oz668HA.jpg

Back