Christmas Gift Exchange

I opened my gift as the weight got me too curious and now that my family expansion project has arrived, we're pretty much hunkering down for the rest of winter.

My secret Santa nailed it with the big firebox stove. I never realized how big these are as I always read up on the nano thinking backpacking and that's the size that usually comes up. The full-sizer is a beast and looking at what all it can do, I'm really excited to start burning up all the sticks that came down this fall around my house and the local woods. I've got a few good pieces of oak and cherry I drug out of the woods that are probably a bit wet still but I may burn a little anyway. I have a lot of rotty ash if I just want to smell like smoke but still get some good heat.
F8FUysHl.jpg

ESIhHDil.jpg

ftzvj0Pl.jpg

Last edited:
Me and the boy figuring it all out. It's probably outside above his recommended age range for toys, like many of the things he plays with. Working on that dexterity and spatial recognition skill.

2yZXjdVl.jpg

p0bgFq3l.jpg

that is such an awesome gift - the firebox I mean, not just time well spent with your kid ;)

legos are pretty cool too, but I must admit... Firebox > Legos

I think the firebox may have been just as much a gift for the kiddo as it was for me. I heard the weirdest sound from the playroom this morning as if someone was sawing some metal... it was my boy using the fire sticks in the slots of the firebox.

Nothing real special here, I just love watching my son figure things out. He's doing quite well for not being 2 yet. Probably already a better outdoorsman than I was as a young man.

After watching him play with the fire box, I figured getting the rest of the camp cooking gear out would be a fun idea. It turned into quite the noisy fun time.
kbDelhgl.jpg

Lion Steel's F&F is amazing - but this is a Viper and it's still very nice. the steel is M390.
opening is around a 7 -- stiff enough SWMBO's nails can't take it. very positive 1/2 stop and solid snap shut.
one nice touch is that the back spring is rounded to match the spine and slightly proud - so it matches up almost seamlessly when open.
sounds bad, but it's visually and tactile-ly appealing.

I find viper's to have very similar F&F to lionsteel with a lot of the same material and finish ques like crowned/radiused spines and springs and a lot of M390 steel.

Back