Coffee

My kids (teenagers) left some of nasty flavored beans in my grinder (about 1/2 cup). I ground some of this fine Mississippi MUD and couldn’t figure out why it taste like a turd. French vanilla beans don’t mix well with Sumatra.

Love WE products!
StktGBL.jpg

Waste not, want not...right?:confused:

So today I finally reached the bottom of my coffee bean storage container.
Holds about 2 pounds of beans.
Usually I dump odds and ends of bags that don't measure up to my taste and I use this "blend" for mostly utility drinking when I'm not taking the time for a quality cup, also economizes a bit as well.
Well, long story short is that I don't believe I've ever reached the bottom...till today.
Not good.
I'll make an effort to finish beans before they reach this putrid state.:poop:

How do you all store quantities of beans?
My container is correct, my method is not.:rolleyes:

Another excuse to ride more???? I’d go with that!! :D
Mountain bikes are all being spiffed up for the season as we speak.:cool:
Probably another month of caffeine energized gym work before the trails are clear though.

Waste not, want not...right?:confused:

So today I finally reached the bottom of my coffee bean storage container.
Holds about 2 pounds of beans.
Usually I dump odds and ends of bags that don't measure up to my taste and I use this "blend" for mostly utility drinking when I'm not taking the time for a quality cup, also economizes a bit as well.
Well, long story short is that I don't believe I've ever reached the bottom...till today.
Not good.
I'll make an effort to finish beans before they reach this putrid state.:poop:

How do you all store quantities of beans?
My container is correct, my method is not.:rolleyes:

I generally don't keep more than a pound of roasted beans in the house at any one time, in part for that very reason. We generally don't use beans that are more than 14 days past their roast date, but we do keep a rotating ~1/3# bag of beans in the freezer from the local roaster in case we run out and I can't get something roasted in time.

I generally roast enough for a week or so at a time, so it's not really a problem for me. When I do get more as a gift or trade, I use them up before roasting or buying any more. It's probably a good idea to clean the old oils out of the container every once in a while when you empty it out also.

I generally roast enough for a week or so at a time, so it's not really a problem for me. When I do get more as a gift or trade, I use them up before roasting or buying any more. It's probably a good idea to clean the old oils out of the container every once in a while when you empty it out also.

Definitely! I use plastic valve bags for most of my stuff at home, and we wash them out after every use. Eventually they still get tossed after they start retaining too much odor.

Couple pics I just took of an oldie, that was both my first Titanium and my first ceramic knife. :cool:

Couldn't decide which pic I liked better, so you get to see both. :) (though the second appears slightly out of focus)

IMG_3805.jpg

IMG_3806.jpg

Definitely! I use plastic valve bags for most of my stuff at home, and we wash them out after every use. Eventually they still get tossed after they start retaining too much odor.

I've posted this before, but I use these Coffee Caps for wide mouth mason jars. They are made of silicone and have a slit in the top that allows any built up CO2 to escape. I think they were originally designed for fermentation so the jars wouldn't have to be burped.

I also really like the yellow funnel tray in the vid. You can see how easy it is to pour into the jar and it works great for bags too. They are only a couple bucks at HF and surprisingly made here in the US.

I've posted this before, but I use these Coffee Caps for wide mouth mason jars. They are made of silicone and have a slit in the top that allows any built up CO2 to escape. I think they were originally designed for fermentation so the jars wouldn't have to be burped.

I also really like the yellow funnel tray in the vid. You can see how easy it is to pour into the jar and it works great for bags too. They are only a couple bucks at HF and surprisingly made here in the US.

You've mentioned those lids before. One of these days I may try them, that is, after I run out of my near lifetime supply of these bags, lol. :eek: ;) I usually just use a single paper plate to pour beans into the bags. Pick up, fold, pour.

Yeah, I definitely cleaned out the container. Lots of oil buildup.
Also picked up some converted rice to give the burr grinder a cleanout tomorrow morning. Should keep everything happy for awhile.

kKAZ6dj.jpg

Got a good bag in the mail last night thanks Wayne! I have my weekend bean all set up! Going to get some Cafe Du Monde too to make some Vietnamese coffee!

kKAZ6dj.jpg

Got a good bag in the mail last night thanks Wayne! I have my weekend bean all set up! Going to get some Cafe Du Monde too to make some Vietnamese coffee!
Cool!
The pre-ground Du Monde is the ticket, the whole bean Vietnamese coffee I bought is good but it funks up my Baratza too much. Also funks the Aeropress a bit, so that dedicated filter keeps your other gear unfunked...
One tip.
When you pour the water over the top filter keep a finger on the steel handle thing to keep the filter in place. It goes sideways otherwise.
Have fun.

Back