CollectorKnives / LionSteel Otnat

I suppose I will be an "also ran".... my snakewood arrived... it does feel very comfortable, and is easily pinchable to open. As stated above, I am interested to see how the snakewood ages. I'll get back with you with an update in 2030.... :D

isnEAq.jpg

isnkVA.jpg

isn6nM.jpg

Ordered a blonde drop point after seeing pics in this thread...excited to see what I get.

Considering clip micarta and snakewood otnat if this one comes out nice.

Reactions: mb>
I am interested to see how the snakewood ages. I'll get back with you with an update in 2030.... :D

I have had lots of knives dressed in snakewood. I have always kept the colors and patterns looking like the day I got them by giving the wood a coat of RenWax every 6 months or so (if they are not carried much .... every month or so if they are carried a lot). I use it on all my wood and ivory handles.

I don't mind if they "age".... I happen to like tools that look like they are used, and not necessarily babied. I was a little surprised to see how dark cocobolo gets, but I can even live with that. I've seen some rosewood that ended up looking like ebony. I've never seen any old snakewood, though. That will be fun to watch. :)

- veeeery nice too Camillus Camillus

It is a feather in lionSTEEL's cap that much of their Rams Horn and Snakewood is of good quality and appearance.........I have other brands where one side is good and the other not so, and some where the scales are nothing like as good as advertised - but was often ever thus with 'natural materials' ;)

- veeeery nice too Camillus Camillus

It is a feather in lionSTEEL's cap that much of their Rams Horn and Snakewood is of good quality and appearance.........I have other brands where one side is good and the other not so, and some where the scales are nothing like as good as advertised - but was often ever thus with 'natural materials' ;)

What breaks my heart is that I have come to the decision to not order either again. There are 3x the number of returns on the ram because you are expected to send one that "looks just like this one" that was found in a thread somewhere. And the snake, although all are a great character, that full line stripe the length of the wood is a small ratio of those received. I prefer the "cheetah" looking pattern (above), but it is very personal. It is so much easier to stick with highly consistent materials.

That sucks but I don’t blame you. I will admit on the ram I just ordered..which should be here today had some descriptive request comments just in case

I figure if it gets here and not what I had in my head I will just sell it. Never returned a knife and I have ordered a lot from Mike and various vendors. Hard to believe people return natural materials like that.

As a backstop I also picked up the micarta clip ... I know what that will look like.

Last edited:
What breaks my heart is that I have come to the decision to not order either again. There are 3x the number of returns on the ram because you are expected to send one that "looks just like this one" that was found in a thread somewhere. And the snake, although all are a great character, that full line stripe the length of the wood is a small ratio of those received. I prefer the "cheetah" looking pattern (above), but it is very personal. It is so much easier to stick with highly consistent materials.

- oh, that seems a tad unreasonable of the consumer.

Given their price point and that they are folders with a natural material - no-one should expect a certain look/finish/grain/colour from a production sub $150 folder, surely..!?

On the other hand, if they were to pay for a custom folder, say, $400min., you'd expect satisfaction from the scales appearance.

Guess a way around it is to specifically state in bold that 'beware, there is no control over natural materials appearance', or, as other websites do, photo a whole set and number them so customers can choose......and add a few dollars more for the hassle ;)

That's disappointing. I don't understand people that order a product built with a natural substance, then expect them to all look the same. If "consistency" is what they want, then they should go synthetic. (or gabon ebony :cool: )

My snakewood wasn't the full stripe like I had hoped for, but it was close, and it's still a well made knife with a striking appearance. It would never cross my mind to send it back... I'm perfectly pleased with mine.... I used it to cut up my biscuit and gravy this morning. Several of the guys at work (some are knife guys, some are not) have commented about the appearance and "feel" of the knife. All of the comments were positive. A couple were "glowing"....:D

please, keep up the good work, it is appreciated.

I would have ordered a Ram's horn if I could see them first. I didn't want to roll the dice on those. I've never returned a knife (with the lone of exception of Amazon selling a used knife as new...wayyyy back in my knife journey). I understand it's not practical in Mike's setup to photo and post every example. All that said, I did roll the dice on the snakewood and am very pleased. ;)

Would have been cool to see a Zulu blade. But I appreciate the offerings... period. Very cool, unique, well made knives. :thumbsup:

Its a shame Mike because per my post above, the individual character of the rams horn is what made the Otnat special and traditional. Otherwise, like my snakewood version, it starts to look and feel a lot more like a mass produced knife.

Could you perhaps have an option to buy the knife and select the scales from a group picture? I.e knife builder style? That may reduce returns.

I love rams horn so much as a handle material that it would be a real shame to see it unavailable for purchase.

Its a shame Mike because per my post above, the individual character of the rams horn is what made the Otnat special and traditional. Otherwise, like my snakewood version, it starts to look and feel a lot more like a mass produced knife.

Could you perhaps have an option to buy the knife and select the scales from a group picture? I.e knife builder style? That may reduce returns.

I love rams horn so much as a handle material that it would be a real shame to see it unavailable for purchase.

You can never show a group picture, then everyone wants the one you no longer have ;)

Mike I just received Bolus micarta clip at work, the Bolus Ram drop point should be at my house when I get home.

I gotta say I am really really impressed with this knife, proportions are perfect. It feels, looks and works wonderfully. I thought the roundhead was nice but these are on a different level. They just feel great.

Do you think there could ever be a point on the Bolus where we order different scales from you?

Reactions: mb>
Mike I just received Bolus micarta clip at work, the Bolus Ram drop point should be at my house when I get home.

I gotta say I am really really impressed with this knife, proportions are perfect. It feels, looks and works wonderfully. I thought the roundhead was nice but these are on a different level. They just feel great.

Do you think there could ever be a point on the Bolus where we order different scales from you?

Probably not. The factory is not interested in component sales on any of their patterns.

- my Leopard spots lionSTEEL finally arrived, even though it's called Snakewood ;)

Direct from the factory in Italy, a handsome pair at unmatched vfm in my book - stunning work lionSTEEL :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Both EXCELLENT examples!!!

- my Leopard spots lionSTEEL finally arrived, even though it's called Snakewood ;)

Direct from the factory in Italy, a handsome pair at unmatched vfm in my book - stunning work lionSTEEL :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Excellent leopard wood! ;) 2 absolute beauties.

Man, that ram's horn sure makes me want some of that. The other blade shapes just don't speak to me like this reverse tanto does. It's too bad you can't just buy extra sets of covers in different flavors. That would be a real plus to the screw on construction.

Really nice Paul!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Perhaps too nice. :eek:
Your pics are making me feel like I might need another Otnat. They sure do look good together!
Thanks for posting... I think.:confused:;)

Back