CollectorKnives / LionSteel Otnat

QVVIeQj.jpg

They make a nice pair. :)

My Otnat in Rams Horn arrived late in yesterday's mail. The disclaimer on Mike's site read that all that was left was light Ram's Horn. That was fine with me as James' (redsparrow) version was absolutely stunning. To say I got lucky with this one is an understatement in my book. This (to me) is absolutely BEAUTIFUL:eek::thumbsup::) the mark side is fantastic in that the variation from front to back the color/shading is nicely varied, flip it over and the pile side is equally as nice:thumbsup:

I ordered the Drop Point in ebony (another stunner) first as I wasn't sure about the Otnat's blade shape. It intrigued me and I found myself drawn back to it for good reason. I really like this knife and for those that have them, you know why:thumbsup::cool:

QQd2oW.jpg

FMBLx9.jpg

My Otnat in Rams Horn arrived late in yesterday's mail. The disclaimer on Mike's site read that all that was left was light Ram's Horn. That was fine with me as James' (redsparrow) version was absolutely stunning. To say I got lucky with this one is an understatement in my book. This (to me) is absolutely BEAUTIFUL:eek::thumbsup::) the mark side is fantastic in that the variation from front to back the color/shading is nicely varied, flip it over and the pile side is equally as nice:thumbsup:

I ordered the Drop Point in ebony (another stunner) first as I wasn't sure about the Otnat's blade shape. It intrigued me and I found myself drawn back to it for good reason. I really like this knife and for those that have them, you know why:thumbsup::cool:

QQd2oW.jpg

FMBLx9.jpg
Wow... the knife gods were smiling down on you with that purchase. Beautiful scales!

QQd2oW.jpg

FMBLx9.jpg
Very nice, Paul! I like how the nail pull on the Otnat helps facilitate pinching the blade open. It might look unproportionately placed bit it's actually perfectly placed when using the knife.

Great looking Rams Horn!

Wow... the knife gods were smiling down on you with that purchase. Beautiful scales!

Man Deinos, I totally agree and thanks for the nice comment. "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut" kinda thing:D
Very nice, Paul! I like how the nail pull on the Otnat helps facilitate pinching the blade open. It might look unproportionately placed bit it's actually perfectly placed when using the knife.

Great looking Rams Horn!

Thank you Rick, I love the nick placement:thumbsup: I suffer from battered thumb syndrome (somewhat serious) due to being part Norwegian;):p and it's a breeze to pinch open:cool:

Beautiful knife, unique knife.
I'm hoping CK will order another run in rams.

Thanks also Pinemoon, if they do another run of Ram, I'll be placing another knife order:):thumbsup:

I didn't see a different thread for the Bolus Drop Point versions of this Lion Steel/CK exclusive so I figured I would drop some thoughts here rather than create a new one.

I received my Lion Steel Bolus Drop Point Jack in Rams Horn late last night so I had to wait for better lighting and more opportunities for playing with it before posting here. Like my other Lionsteel/CK Exclusives, I am rather impressed and am thrilled that there is a consistency of quality that I can expect and appreciate in these offerings.

These are my initial impressions:
  • When I initially removed it from its box, I was struck by the fact that it was much smaller than I anticipated. Not that I was disappointed and even if I was, it would be my own fault for not paying attention to the listed dimensions. In any case, it is far more compact than I was expecting. There are pictures below comparing it to the GEC Bull Nose (the only knife I have to adequately compare against). Though the closed length is pretty much the same on both, the Bolus feels shorter due to the additional contours in the handle. Not in an uncomfortable sense by any means, it simply melts into my rather large hands. Blade is considerably shorter than the Bull Nose but the handle on the Bolus is thicker (possibly due to the Rams Horn).
Additional points:
  • I've come to enjoy the M390 that Lion Steel uses, especially when it has been ground nice and thin. My Shuffler exhibits these traits, as does the Bolus. I don't have the means to measure behind the edge but to me, it is quite satisfactory and will be easy to tune up as the need arises. Despite the blade being shorter than the Bull Nose, it is ground well, is darned good looking, and is pinchable with the rather strategically placed long pull.
  • The action on this knife is excellent. It has a stout pull (almost as stiff as the Bull Nose) and it snaps open, closed, and at the half stop with satisfying audibility. Aside from the blade being slightly off center, there is nothing to complain about in regards to its construction. No blade play and the liners and back spring sport the same chamfered/rounded edges that the Euro Barlows do.
  • I have enjoyed all of the Rams Horn that I have seen and have had pass through my hands. Since I've yet to see a bad piece of it, I was comfortable rolling the dice and having Mike surprise me. It absolutely did not disappoint. Like with all horn, it is difficult to capture its depth and subtleties but you can be assured that it is there. Though these covers are not on the dramatic side, they are no less attractive and I am quite pleased with them.
  • The hidden lanyard hole(?) is a very nice touch. I will be making up a leather braid and adding a bead that was gifted to me.
Overall, I am very pleased with this knife and I suspect it will take a rather prominent place in my stable of "working" blades. Very well done, Mike.

uSe7fr1.jpg

SoGZOJz.jpg

IQgd5Sr.jpg

YUn6IUC.jpg

kWwVDkX.jpg

qJo2YTa.jpg

ql6rVDy.jpg

QQd2oW.jpg

FMBLx9.jpg
Paul, I just came across your post in this Otnat thread. That truly is some beautiful Horn you have there! I'm beginning to think if it says LionSteel on the tang, it's gonna be great.
The Otnat I have is just fantastic. Comfortable in every way a knife needs to be comfortable with excellent functionality, in any way a knife's function can be measured. Hats off to Mike Latham and LionSteel for combining so many positive elements when designing the Bolus series.
Paul you were right when you wrote, "I really like this knife and for those that have them, you know why." It's simply one of the best knife designs in recent years and... they look good too! :) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tcpo4Mt.jpg

Last edited:
Paul, I just came across your post in this Otnat thread. That truly is some beautiful Horn you have there! I'm beginning to think if it says LionSteel on the tang, it's gonna be great.
The Otnat I have is just fantastic. Comfortable in every way a knife needs to be comfortable with excellent functionality, in any way a knife's function can be measured. Hats off to Mike Latham and LionSteel for combining so many positive elements when designing the Bolus series.
Paul you were right when you wrote, "I really like this knife and for those that have them, you know why." It's simply one of the best knife designs in recent years and... they look good too! :) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tcpo4Mt.jpg
Love that rams horn.
I ordered one of these rams in clip-point variety yesterday.

Although I have argued fairly strongly that these knives aren’t traditional, I still love this pattern and echo the views of redsparrow above. The Otnat is a fantastic knife.

Lionsteel is also showing that we should expect high quality select covers on a >$100 knife. It will be interesting to see how these snakewood covers compare.

Guess I better make more room in my LionSteel drawer!

Back