Concealed Carry Gun or not...

My method of response will always be with primary weapon. The NAA is to me, mostly for weapon retention if someone goes for my primary. I believe there's wisdom in the quote "beware the man with one gun, he likely knows how to use it", but as a certified gun nut I can't have just one. I stick with da only for all my carry weapons (with the obvious exception of the NAA), and rely on that as my "one gun". When I'm carrying the third weapon, it's usually so I can wedge it beside my seat while in the truck on trips, and so I know I have one for my wife when I get out for any reason. There are other advantages to having it along, but that's my primary reasoning. I also always have an old 3030 with a sweet peep on it in the truck with 3 in the tube, 8 on the stock, and a full box of reloads. There's also wisdom in the quote "a pistol is just to fight your way to your rifle" ;)

I've been wondering: if two is one and one is none.. is three two or is four? Since I MUST always have two blades, I've been playin it safe and carrying four.
This probably needs to be settled. If anyone knows will you please advise me? :)

I've been wondering: if two is one and one is none.. is three two or is four? Since I MUST always have two blades, I've been playin it safe and carrying four.
This probably needs to be settled. If anyone knows will you please advise me? :)

As long as your pants stay up I guess you're g2g. :D

In reality, I carry a backup gun from time to time, but not often. Might not look so great if we were in a justified shoot and the LEOs pull 4 guns off you.

I have actually thought about this in the woods sometimes. My conclusions:

2 is 1
1 is none
Therefore, 3 is 1.

Under the rules of the system, "two" = 1 and "one" = 0. Therefore, "two" + "one" = 1. If you carry 3, you're GTG. In practice, I carry one gun, but two knives and two flashlights. I am much, much more likely to need a backup knife or light. Also, I have come to trust the Glock.

As long as your pants stay up I guess you're g2g. :D

In reality, I carry a backup gun from time to time, but not often. Might not look so great if we were in a justified shoot and the LEOs pull 4 guns off you.
I wonder what ordinary cops would think of most of our loadouts anyway, as in a patdown. There are enough CCWers and EDCers that most officers must be seeing pretty crazy pocket dumps these days.

I was thinking the other day that my 4 is actually 3, and I should drop one, but I think I'm going to amend my needs: now I need 3, so I'll carry 4 :)
Also, I have some experience with what cops think of us packing so much. (I'll insert here that I drive a tow truck and I interact with law enforcement almost daily) Most of them don't give a rip. The one's that do... I don't give a rip. Twice now I've had troopers seem to not like that I was carrying what I was carrying. One pulled me over about ten years ago, and voiced some displeasure (perceived by me anyway) at my carrying two weapons. I quickly reminded him that he was also carrying two, and my reasons were the same as his. He wrote me a ticket ;) . I see a huge part of our duty, if we're going to carry, as being able to protect that weapon. We have to take every precaution to keep anyone from taking it. The best way to protect that weapon is another weapon. I'm pretty sure if I'm ever involved in any shooting, my last concern will be if the responding officers object to my second weapon and my knives.
I trust my Glocks as well- great weapons- and I carry two lights as well :)
Pants are pretty heavy, but instructors belts are still keepin 'em up :D
I've been lurking here forever, and I've posted a few times over the last year or so, but I've never introduced myself- how rude. I'm Jamie. Love lurking around here :)

I usually have a g23 on me, a g17 in the front passenger area of the car, and my AR or shotgun in the trunk ready to go. Nothing wrong with having more than a few within reach, for when the one's on you are too awkward or not realistic to reach for, I just wouldn't want them all on my person.

I don't give a RAt's A** what cops think about what I am carrying. It's legal I have a permit for it, end of discussion. Too many cops don't carry off duty and hesitate too much to pull the trigger when they should. Not to mention A LOT of them can't shoot for SH**!

Welcome Jamie, been a long time since I been in Raleigh, I used to live in Wilmington. Glad there are people here that talk guns/SD.

I don't give a RAt's A** what cops think about what I am carrying. It's legal I have a permit for it, end of discussion. Too many cops don't carry off duty and hesitate too much to pull the trigger when they should. Not to mention A LOT of them can't shoot for SH**!

W

I'll drink to that and as a LEO trainer, I agree 100%. Most officers shoot when its time to qualify and thats it. No training on their own time. Makes me sick..

I have outshot every officer I have shot with. Not to say that there isnt any out there that are excellent, but the ones that I shoot with aren't quite as good. A few just barely passed the qualification shoot.

There is only one or two of all of my army buddies that can hang with me as well.

Training is key...but I grew up shooting since I was 4 or so...and you pick up some skill along the way.

All three of my sisters are cops and all have gone out with me several times looking for tips.

I'll drink to that and as a LEO trainer, I agree 100%. Most officers shoot when its time to qualify and thats it. No training on their own time. Makes me sick..

Until last year, my sisters got a certain amount of ammo allotted to them per month that they could pick up or leave there. They were smart enough to pick up every box they could and stockpile it, but they said that many officers didnt shoot or even pick up their ammo.

Ridiculous, in my eyes.

I hate the whole,"I shoot good enough attitude". Heaven forbid one day someone gets a drop on me and the only option my partner has is a head shot, I just hope he makes it quick and painless right between my eyes, and not blowing off half my jaw. I wish I had the time and money to shoot more than I do, but it kills me especially when people work for a department that gives them time and ammo, WTF?

To LEO's like that I just wanna tell them that they might as well have become Child Services or something so they can "help people". Sorry but you are in the business of catching criminals and making sure they get their court-date for their punishment. If you help people at the same time great but don't go into the job thinking that, you are gonna get in a fight one day and not be ready. RANT OFF!

As a potential LEO, I find it shocking to hear that so few actually practice. I'm not the absolute best in anything I do but I always try my hardest. Here I was thinking that police stations mandated training with your pistol after issuing a badge.

Well, as a police officer or not, if anyone has a gun then they owe it to themselves and others to learn how to use it properly and practice often. A gun is not a toy but a very dangerous tool. There's no reason why gun owners shouldn't practice as often as they can (yes, ammo prices are high but so are clothes, gas, movies, etc.).

Glock 26 In the waist band, and keltec PTA3 as a last resort in a pocket holster, and cold steel recon 1 tanto as a final resort!

As a potential LEO, I find it shocking to hear that so few actually practice. I'm not the absolute best in anything I do but I always try my hardest. Here I was thinking that police stations mandated training with your pistol after issuing a badge.

Well, as a police officer or not, if anyone has a gun then they owe it to themselves and others to learn how to use it properly and practice often. A gun is not a toy but a very dangerous tool. There's no reason why gun owners shouldn't practice as often as they can (yes, ammo prices are high but so are clothes, gas, movies, etc.).

That is also the answer I give LEO's when they ask why I am carrying. I say because I have most likely put more rounds down range than you and have just as much if not more training as well, so I believe I owe it to my family and any innocents around me to carry. Because by time you get there the 10 seconds of hell will most likely be over. Press hard, 5 copies, have a nice day!!!:D

When I lived in a free state (Arizona) I carried a Glock 23 or a Taurus 85. Now that I live in The Peoples Republic of Illinois I cannot carry.

I have an Arizona CCP and around my property & town I carry a Glock 23(.40 S&W) loaded with Speer Gold Dot 180gr. When up in the woods I carry a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug(.44 Special) loaded with Speer Gold Dot 200gr. Next to my bed I have a Remington 870 shotgun loaded with Federal 00 Buckshot. I carry a RAT RC-3mil in my back pocket everywhere I go.

021.jpg

Sig P229 .357SIG with Winchester Ranger Talon or if I need better concealment a Sig P239 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense. Sometimes I mix it up, clothing permitting, and carry a H&K USP .40. Plan to also carry a IZULA folder when they come out; till then I carry a Ken Onion Tanto Blur. Mossberg 500a 12Ga next to the bed with Hornady TAP 00.

Amen! I am constantly shocked at the number of LEOs that go to the range only once a year to qualify (and barely do that) and the number of concealed handgun permit holders that also only get enough range time to qualify. Scares the crap out of me to be honest.

Last edited:
Welcome Gray Ghost, nice selection, not a fan of Sig myself but I can't think of anything wrong with them.

Thanks spenceds.
I have a few buddies in law enforcement, and they don't shoot as well as me either... but one is graduating from the Raleigh academy next week, and from what he and I have discussed, Raleigh puts a very high premium on weapon skills. I haven't seen his new skills yet (against all policies for him to handle a weapon outside the academy until after graduation), but I'm expecting to see good stuff from him soon. There are a lot of officers that do shoot well, but I've noticed quite a few know very little about any weapons, including their own. I was carrying open one day a couple of months ago, and two officers at a wreck I responded to couldn't tell what kind of weapon was on my hip, and had to ask me. A cop can't recognize a Glock from 14 miles away instantly? Sad. My grips are altered, but they still are instantly recognizable, especially with those tuperware magazines on the weak hip.
I too love seeing that a lot of people carry. Half my family does, and prolly 75% of my coworkers, and friends. A workplace shooting at my shop would likely go very badly for the bad guy. Most of us are former military, we all carry Glocks or Springfield XDs, and we can all shoot a little :) . Half the time, when I tell an officer I have a ccw, they roll their eyes and say "I know already- You all do". lol
Amazing how many of us carry Glocks every day. I guess RAT fans/survival enthusiasts all think alike? Cool (as expected) to see so many 1911 nuts. If I had a different job that didn't require rolling around on the ground, and if I were better about cleaning my weapons, I'd probably go 1911. They are a thing of beauty. :)

Thanks spenceds.
I have a few buddies in law enforcement, and they don't shoot as well as me either... but one is graduating from the Raleigh academy next week, and from what he and I have discussed, Raleigh puts a very high premium on weapon skills. I haven't seen his new skills yet (against all policies for him to handle a weapon outside the academy until after graduation), but I'm expecting to see good stuff from him soon. There are a lot of officers that do shoot well, but I've noticed quite a few know very little about any weapons, including their own. I was carrying open one day a couple of months ago, and two officers at a wreck I responded to couldn't tell what kind of weapon was on my hip, and had to ask me. A cop can't recognize a Glock from 14 miles away instantly? Sad. My grips are altered, but they still are instantly recognizable, especially with those tuperware magazines on the weak hip.
I too love seeing that a lot of people carry. Half my family does, and prolly 75% of my coworkers, and friends. A workplace shooting at my shop would likely go very badly for the bad guy. Most of us are former military, we all carry Glocks or Springfield XDs, and we can all shoot a little :) . Half the time, when I tell an officer I have a ccw, they roll their eyes and say "I know already- You all do". lol
Amazing how many of us carry Glocks every day. I guess RAT fans/survival enthusiasts all think alike? Cool (as expected) to see so many 1911 nuts. If I had a different job that didn't require rolling around on the ground, and if I were better about cleaning my weapons, I'd probably go 1911. They are a thing of beauty. :)

:D I am a Springfield XD fan ... I love 'em and looking to pick up 2 more :thumbup:

Welcome Gray Ghost, nice selection, not a fan of Sig myself but I can't think of anything wrong with them.

Thanks! I just became a fan of them in the last 1.5 years. Just got the P229 back from Actions by T and can't wait to try out the new action this weekend.

:D I am a Springfield XD fan ... I love 'em and looking to pick up 2 more :thumbup:

I hear that from more and more people these days. They are getting a lot of good lip service.

Back