Concealed Carry Gun or not...

Spencer - you're pretty much right
on average, a compact 9mm is easier to hide and most people will have more trouble controlling a compact 45 than a similar sized 9mm.
I just hate blanket statements like the one I quoted. If vege-taco had started with "for me..." I wouldn't have had an issue with the comment.
today's 9mm jhp is an as or more more effective round than a 1975 .45 ACP jhp.
a modern 9mm jhp is a perfectly valid self defense round. I do not dispute this -- I just prefer larger and/or more powerful cartridges.

No worries man right after I read it, I was like oh great here goes. One of those you knew what he meant but others might not or like us will hit on it, you just beat me to it.

ETA: I prefer a larger round too, it's just so much cheaper to practice with 9mm as well. I will one day have another 1911, I miss mine.

Where you live has a lot to do with what can be easily concealed. I live in the desert. We can't wear much more than a T-shirt and pants for half the year. So using a jacket, sweatshirt, etc. to help conceal is out of the question.

Anyway, I normally carry a Rohrbaugh 9, which is roughly the same size as the Kel-Tek P3AT.

kel-tec-p3at-vs-khar-p380.jpg

Here's the Rohrbaugh 9:
f156.jpg

It carries nicely in a pocket holster.

I will hopefully be moving down to Arizona in a few months, and I need to get something a little smaller, maybe just another M&P compact like my wife's.

Jumping straight into shooting +p loads may not be helpful if you haven't shot revolvers much, as the recoil will be stout until you're used to the gun. A lot of people suggest training with lighter loads, then running a few rounds of your +p carry ammunition through the gun for familiarization, and it's not bad advice.

You'll probably wear the gun out faster shooting +p ammo just because you're putting more stress on it, but I wouldn't worry about that too much. It'll still take you years and years of heavy shooting to get the gun to that point. If you do manage to wear it out, you can claim that as a badge of honor and buy another one.

For us, the M&P ergonomics are just about perfect, and you can get down to a pretty skinny grip with the smallest back strap installed (M&P's come with small, medium, and large back straps to customize the fit. You can also move the magazine release to either side to accommodate left and right handed shooters). Now, we each have a full-size and compact M&P in our favorite flavors.

If you have an opportunity to try a few pistols before making a decision, I'd highly recommend it. Whatever you decide on, I strongly encourage you to seek out some competent, professional training before carrying. Just as standing still in front of a heavy bag throwing nothing but right hooks doesn't teach you to box, standing at the range plinking a paper target won't teach you how to fight with a firearm. Again, it's just one man's opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Cheers! :D

Thanks for the clarification about the ammo. I guess diversity both helps the wallet, the longevity of the gun and the wear on your wrist! :D

Just to let you know, I've never even fired a real gun before. I'm interested in learning, however, and am on track to becoming a police officer. I'm sure I'll get good training that route but even if that doesn't work out, then I'd definitely be eager to take good training classes. It's comforting to know that the pistol can probably handle more than I can throw at it.

Since I'm a complete newb to shooting, ergonomics really have my attention. I'm not scrawny little guy but I'm not that big either. And because of my smaller hands, I'm concerned that I won't like Glocks. That should be easy to determine since I'd imagine most ranges have some sort of Glock to rent and I know that the vast majority of police officers are issued Glocks.

Thank you for pointing out the M&P semi-automatics. It looks like the Gen 4 Glock is taking some pointers from M&P with the adjustable straps. :cool: I was considering XD's but I've heard rumors of failures and have even witnessed some from nutnfancy's videos on youtube. Again, reliability is my primary concern and that has really turned me off. So far, I've seen good things about M&P's and I think I should consider them. I'm sure, however, that it will be harder to test a M&P than a Glock though, due to price and popularity.

It's funny you bring up boxing. I'm into martial arts and have just started to box myself (casual training right now). I know the incredible importance of good instruction and serious training to get good at something. I just am not sure there are many good firearm training courses in the gun-control state of NY. I guess I'll just need to look really hard or something.

Thanks for all the help and advice very cold steel. I much appreciate it. :thumbup:

Rohrbaugh makes a good piece, I'll not argue that.
we also have our share of t-shirt or less weather here - where even my stainless pocketknives start to show red spots, so I can sympathize.
You might look at crossbreed holsters for an IWB option that does not leave any metal laying against skin.

Oh, and thanks for the dry fire drill. I'll definitely be sure to do that.

Another question I have is about ammunition. I've heard that some snubbie owners use down-graded ammunition, standard .38 instead of .38+P, at the range for target practice. My concern is that if you predominantly train with different ammunition than what the gun is loaded with for defensive carry, doesn't that harm your accuracy in a deadly encounter?

In addition to that, is it true that shooting too much .38+P will wear out the gun faster? If so, by how much?

I'm very big into reliability. Revolvers are famous for that and that's what has played into me wanting a 442. In addition, the light weight and small size make it an attractive option for daily concealed carry. I also don't have big mitts, making me wary of buying a Glock or other big-gripped guns.

Hey D1omedes, didn't notice your post til now. Your thoughts on shooting downloaded ammo hurting your accuracy is not true. It is in fact a step up from dry-firing which I see cold-steel told you about. I have a .22 conversion kit for my glock which I found to be the best training tool for me. It lets me preactice with my carry gun for pennies and I am getting practicing on my grip, trigger control, trigger reset, and follow-up shots. After I put a couple thousand rounds through that kit of .22 ($60) I found I was shooting much better. Now the only way it will affect you in a fight is if you flinch horribly. Which is more likely to happen on the range than in a fight when your adrenaline is pumping (IMO). I did always finish off a day at the range with regular 9mm FMJ rounds so I wouldn't get accustomed to the .22. Which after a while I didn't really find necessary.

+P rounds can put unnecessary wear and tear on your weapon, however it depends on the gun as to how soon this will affect it. I wouldn't do it on a Taurus (certain models), or Kel-tec as I hear they are not built for long days at the range. And I wouldn't do it on my $2,000 1911 either, just seems like a waste to me. However if you get a Glock, or M&P they are priced low enough that should you wear it out (which would take most likely 10 of thousands of rounds) replacement parts/guns are not too expensive.

As for your hands I don't know where I fall on the hands scale but I am a small guy (5'7" 170lbs) and I can rock a Glock all day long, I find them to be the best gun for me. My wife has an M&P compact which I love as well, and carry when my glocks might be a little too big. I just have a lot invested as far as accessories right now to change over.

Welcome to the world of firearms, you'll love it here. Your wallet. . . won't!:D

Last edited:
I have a number of pistols, shotguns and rifles but its a no no to carry, unless hunting or to the range. You guys in the states are lucky to have that right. We Canadians are just praying they don't ban knife carry.

Last edited:
I have a number of pistols, shotguns and rifles but its a no no to carry, unless hunting or to the range. You guys in the states are lucky to have that right. We Canadians are just praying they don't ban knife carry.

Yes, we are, I just wish more people took advantage of that freedom instead of supporting A$$holes that wanna take it away.

I feel sorry for you guys, it's a freedom I think is worth fighting for.

Yes, we are, I just wish more people took advantage of that freedom instead of supporting A$$holes that wanna take it away.

I feel sorry for you guys, it's a freedom I think is worth fighting for.

Its too late for us, by limiting the types of firearms Canadian civilians are allowed to have, the Government has total control. The military and RCMP sure as hell have all the weapons they need to keep us nice and quiet with our satillite TV and beer. No chance of winning here. You people in the U.S. Should not give up that right, unless you wish to be like us......Controlled.

As for any Mountie or gov official reading this, this is not a plan for overthrowing the gov, these are my free thoughts........I am nice and controlled.:thumbdn:

Last edited:
As for any Mountie or gov official reading this, this is not a plan for over throwing the gov, these are my free thoughts........I am nice and controlled.:thumbdn:

ROFLMAO woo-saw! *rubs ears*

ETA: does it matter if the forum server is in the US?

My ccw permit is accepted by 32 states last time i checked. My primary carry weapon is a Kahr CW9 carried inside waistband in middle of back in a Kydex Fist holster, i usually carry a Kel-Tec P32 also. When i travel i usually keep something bigger close by in my car. Don't go many places without something.

I carry my glock 17 in my truck, sometimes I will carry it open in a uncle mikes. the gun I carry for concealment is a naa 22lr loaded with snakeshot in my front pocket. before you even think of knocking me and saying snakeshot? wtf? that's not for personal defense! ask yourself a question, would you want to be shot directly in the face 5 times with snakeshot?

I rest my case!
izug21.jpg

and yes I have a georgia ccw permit.

When certain people laugh and say they would never carry a .32 cal. I just laugh and ask they if they would ever want to get shot by one ( not as a threat).

The first rule of a gun fight is to have a gun. People ask what the best gun for a gun fight is, I tell them the one they have in their hand.

Wilson Combat full size 1911 45 ACP

John Yanek 3 1/2 Officers 1911 45 ACP

S&W Scandium Titanium J Frame 357. Mag

These are my 3 main carry guns

The J frame gets the most carry because it is so easy to carry

This attitude is what saddens me, constantly looking for and expecting the worst that may occur. I don't know anything about any of you or your situations in life but between the way I approach my life, the people I associate with and my lifetime of experiences, I can't imagine getting to the point at which carrying a weapon everywhere I go becomes a necessity.

My approach may be different than yours and these are the choices we make.

Jay

If someone can be oblivious to the dangers in life and be content and happy, more power to them. I however, in life's journey, have had the unfortunate pleasure of knowing some less than desirable people that had no problem taking advantage of innocent people that they considered weak and took every opportunity to prey upon them. I carry and do not suffer from doubt. I feel comfortable in defending myself with my hands or bladed instruments. But if the time arrises when the person i have to protect in a situation that i may be outnumbered is my wife, daughter or son. I would not hesitate to use deadly force to protect those i love and could not live with myself if i was not prepared to protect those i love. I sleep well with my conviction. But that's just me.

the XD40 is great!
love the trigger on that model. hate it on the xd45 -- and I don't know why there's a difference.

Last edited:
Hey D1omedes, didn't notice your post til now. Your thoughts on shooting downloaded ammo hurting your accuracy is not true. It is in fact a step up from dry-firing which I see cold-steel told you about. I have a .22 conversion kit for my glock which I found to be the best training tool for me. It lets me preactice with my carry gun for pennies and I am getting practicing on my grip, trigger control, trigger reset, and follow-up shots. After I put a couple thousand rounds through that kit of .22 ($60) I found I was shooting much better. Now the only way it will affect you in a fight is if you flinch horribly. Which is more likely to happen on the range than in a fight when your adrenaline is pumping (IMO). I did always finish off a day at the range with regular 9mm FMJ rounds so I wouldn't get accustomed to the .22. Which after a while I didn't really find necessary.

As for your hands I don't know where I fall on the hands scale but I am a small guy (5'7" 170lbs) and I can rock a Glock all day long, I find them to be the best gun for me. My wife has an M&P compact which I love as well, and carry when my glocks might be a little too big. I just have a lot invested as far as accessories right now to change over.

Welcome to the world of firearms, you'll love it here. Your wallet. . . won't!:D

Thanks for the input, Spenceds. I've seen .22 conversion kits and was curious about them. It's nice to know that they are relatively inexpensive and provide more trigger time. I guess that's a big factor that I overlooked - familiarity with the gun is a bit more important than familiarity with recoil. When I get a semi, as I'm sure is only a matter of time :p, then I'll definitely look into a .22 kit.

Well, I'm 5'9'' but am only around 150lbs. My hands are only 3.5 inches wide though. Again, like you and very pointed out, I won't know how I like a gun until I have some trigger time behind it. Just from watching videos and reading articles, I think I may not like Glock. I may be completely wrong once I actually fire one. :foot::)

You are right about the wallet. I'm finishing up school this spring and am on the hunt for a real job. A CCW permit, a pistol and ammunition are all going to have to wait until I have a steady source of income. I just am looking into it now because I find it interesting and worthwhile to discuss. :thumbup:

I carry a Ruger P-90 (.45 auto)
My EDC fixed blade is an Izula, my EDC folders are a Kershaw RAM and a sheathed Victorinox Camper Plus, and my "tactical" folder is a self-waved FRN Byrd Cara Cara.

I just replaced my S&W Sigma with a CZ 75BD and couldn't be happier. It is so accurate and solid. That together with my RAT PACK RC-3 is my new daily carry. I also pocket carry my SOG Ageis Digi-cammo AE-6:

SOG-Camo-Aegis.jpg

Here's a picture of the CZ

th_CZ_75_BD.png

Last edited:
Back