Concealed Carry Gun or not...

Whenever someone asks me what the best weapon is, or what they should get, or why I carry Glocks, part of my answer is: I don't think Glock is any better than Springfield XD, or the new S&Ws, or Sig, or HK, or a lot of others. I only stick with Glocks because of 15 years carrying and shooting them, and a couple thousand dollars in holsters, magazines, and spare parts I've already invested in them. I'd recommend an XD or the new M&P or Sig or HK to anyone (and frequently do). I like what Sal says: "all good, just different".

Yeah, my first pistol was an XD 9mm, took it to the sandbox against regulations because my unit didn't want to issue me one. Well this was back in '04, and maybe they changed their finish but mine rusted bad and it just sat in a pouch on my chest rig(couldn't carry it in the open otherwise big trouble). So I sold it when I got back (for numerous reasons, and ignorance) and bought a Kimber TLE/RL. That was my baby for quite a while, then I added to it with an XD 40. I can shoot the XD's really well I just never grew to love them, I haven't owned one since I sold the .40. I believe it has to do with the grip angle on a polymer frame with a metal slide, I just don't like how much recoil and flip you actually get. After I timed my shooting on that and s Glock one day I found my follow up shots were much slower on the XD. However, if people ask for recommendations it usually goes Glock, M&P, and XD. 1911's is a whole other animal. I had another Kimber but they are both gone now, marriage does that to ya. One day I will have me a real nice 1911, but it will be a while. For now it's a Glock 17, 23 and my wife's(mine) M&P 9mm compact (great little gun), take it over baby glock any day.

After my time in the Corps, I tried to get a job as a contractor and most of them issue Glock 19's so I trained with it A LOT to be ready. That got me into Glocks and they have been my go to ever since. Though I am really liking the M&P's, but like Zebra said I have too much invested in them right now and they go bang every time, if it ain't broke....

Too many good guns out there, but for now it's Glock.

I carry something that cuts, and something that goes 'bang' every day,
This is my latest addition. Wilson Combat CQB, Compact. All the bells and whistles. Leather will be by Sam Andrews.

CQB.jpg

I just bought a CZ 75BD yesterday that I am going to carry. I really like it. It's my first CZ. It looks exactly like the one below:

cz75bd.jpg

I usually carry either a M60 S&W w/spurless hammer or a 3914 S&W. If the situation warrants wearing a coat, I pack either a P220 Sig or a customized Ruger Security 6 w/spurless hammer.

I always carry either a Glock 26, S&W j-frame or Kel-tec 32 depending on dress attaire for the day.

Anyone have a Smith and Wesson .38 J-frame revolver? I'm seriously considering a 442 as my primary concealed carry (when I get the cash, of course). Thoughts?

if you get it save some $$ back for different scales -- the factory ones bite.

Anyone have a Smith and Wesson .38 J-frame revolver? I'm seriously considering a 442 as my primary concealed carry (when I get the cash, of course). Thoughts?

I've got a model 36. Great gun but takes some practice to get good with.

The 442 is a great little revolver. It's hammerless, so there's nothing to snag on clothing when you draw. It's small and light enough that you can conceal it just about anywhere on your body and carry it all day. Most comforting about it is that it will go bang every time, and if you ever get a click, you can pull the trigger again until you get a bang (provided you're keeping it fed).

These strengths are also liabilities to shooting it well. The trigger on the 442 is fairly heavy, and it takes a lot of training to smooth out your trigger pull. The short sight radius makes it challenging to put accurate hits on target much past ten or fifteen yards, but again, this can be overcome by lots and lots of training. One dry fire drill you can use is to download the revolver completely (then check and double check to make sure there is no live ammunition in the weapon!), point in on a target, and place a dime on the top strap. You want to run the trigger without the dime bouncing off.

The other disadvantage to a 5-shot .38 as your primary weapon is that you're limited to five rounds of .38 before having to go into an agonizingly slow reload. Speed strips (small plastic strips that hold several rounds of ammunition in a line for easy carry and loading) are great for concealing ammo and tac loading your revolver, but they're slow. Speed loaders (round devices that hold ammunition in the same configuration as the cylinder on your revolver for faster reloading) are quicker, but are still going to be slower than changing magazines on an auto loader.

With all that said, there is still a place for a 5-shot snubby. I carry a 442 daily as a backup gun, and I love and trust it. There have been times that, due to clothing restraints, I've carried it as a primary, also. It wouldn't be my first choice going into a gun fight, but then again, it's hard to conceal a rifle or an 870 for daily carry, even under the coats we wear up here in Alaska. You just need to get some professional training, have a plan (or several plans!), and practice often. Good luck!

I’ve got a 642. If I can keep from it, I always prefer to carry more than a 5 shot snubby. It’s better than a sharp stick, but that “the average defensive shooting is 2.3 rounds” or “if I can’t do it with 5 rounds I’m in trouble anyway” crap is for people that live by a law of averages. ON AVERAGE, I won’t ever have to use my gun, but if I do, I’m already behind the average curve.

Nice guns though. If you can, find one without the internal lock. Smith is/was making runs of no-lock guns.

These strengths are also liabilities to shooting it well. The trigger on the 442 is fairly heavy, and it takes a lot of training to smooth out your trigger pull. The short sight radius makes it challenging to put accurate hits on target much past ten or fifteen yards, but again, this can be overcome by lots and lots of training. One dry fire drill you can use is to download the revolver completely (then check and double check to make sure there is no live ammunition in the weapon!), point in on a target, and place a dime on the top strap. You want to run the trigger without the dime bouncing off.

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated. :D

I've heard that the trigger can be initially stiff. Is it true that over time, with practice at the range, that the trigger loosens up a bit and becomes much smoother?

Oh, and thanks for the dry fire drill. I'll definitely be sure to do that.

Another question I have is about ammunition. I've heard that some snubbie owners use down-graded ammunition, standard .38 instead of .38+P, at the range for target practice. My concern is that if you predominantly train with different ammunition than what the gun is loaded with for defensive carry, doesn't that harm your accuracy in a deadly encounter?

In addition to that, is it true that shooting too much .38+P will wear out the gun faster? If so, by how much?

I'm very big into reliability. Revolvers are famous for that and that's what has played into me wanting a 442. In addition, the light weight and small size make it an attractive option for daily concealed carry. I also don't have big mitts, making me wary of buying a Glock or other big-gripped guns.

9mm is my favorite for carry. Anything larger gets difficult to conceal.
my Beretta 8045 is easier to carry concealed than my buddy's model 92?
xd subcom 45 is the same size as an xd subcom 9?
the other day I was wandering around doing chores with a retired cop and he never realized I had a 1911 on my belt until I pulled it out when we took a break to blow up old unopened sodas.

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated. :D

I've heard that the trigger can be initially stiff. Is it true that over time, with practice at the range, that the trigger loosens up a bit and becomes much smoother?

Oh, and thanks for the dry fire drill. I'll definitely be sure to do that.

Another question I have is about ammunition. I've heard that some snubbie owners use down-graded ammunition, standard .38 instead of .38+P, at the range for target practice. My concern is that if you predominantly train with different ammunition than what the gun is loaded with for defensive carry, doesn't that harm your accuracy in a deadly encounter?

In addition to that, is it true that shooting too much .38+P will wear out the gun faster? If so, by how much?

I'm very big into reliability. Revolvers are famous for that and that's what has played into me wanting a 442. In addition, the light weight and small size make it an attractive option for daily concealed carry. I also don't have big mitts, making me wary of buying a Glock or other big-gripped guns.

S&W revolvers traditionally have very smooth trigger pulls from the beginning. Mine may have smoothed out a little more over the years, but if it has, I haven't really noticed. It's sort of like getting fat...you put on weight little by little and don't notice it until you can't get your pants closed in the morning. :D

When I first bought my snubby, I practiced mostly with light wadcutters for two reasons: the recoil was about as mild as you could get, and it was the cheapest ammo I could find. I moved on to normal loads, and now shoot +p almost exclusively. Aside from wanting to train on loads I'll carry, +p is also the cheapest ammo I can currently find to train with around here.

Jumping straight into shooting +p loads may not be helpful if you haven't shot revolvers much, as the recoil will be stout until you're used to the gun. A lot of people suggest training with lighter loads, then running a few rounds of your +p carry ammunition through the gun for familiarization, and it's not bad advice.

You'll probably wear the gun out faster shooting +p ammo just because you're putting more stress on it, but I wouldn't worry about that too much. It'll still take you years and years of heavy shooting to get the gun to that point. If you do manage to wear it out, you can claim that as a badge of honor and buy another one.

If a Glock is too big for your hands, try looking at an M&P or an XD. I have a G21, and there's no denying the grip is huge. I bought an XD-45 a few years ago, and the grip was more comfortable, but I never fell in love with the trigger. I bought my wife an M&P 40 at the same time, and took it to the range one day when I ran out of .45 ammo. I fell in love with it and wound up selling the XD for a M&P 45.

For us, the M&P ergonomics are just about perfect, and you can get down to a pretty skinny grip with the smallest back strap installed (M&P's come with small, medium, and large back straps to customize the fit. You can also move the magazine release to either side to accommodate left and right handed shooters). Now, we each have a full-size and compact M&P in our favorite flavors.

I've taken my full-size through a lot of training, much of it dirty or snowy, some of it in the rain, in temperatures from about -10 to +70 F (don't laugh, 70's about as hot as it gets here, and that's fine with me!), and haven't had any reliability problems. I've also gone swimming with it (unintentionally) with no ill effect. One man with one gun isn't a very large subject sample, but there you go.

If you have an opportunity to try a few pistols before making a decision, I'd highly recommend it. Whatever you decide on, I strongly encourage you to seek out some competent, professional training before carrying. Just as standing still in front of a heavy bag throwing nothing but right hooks doesn't teach you to box, standing at the range plinking a paper target won't teach you how to fight with a firearm. Again, it's just one man's opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Cheers! :D

my Beretta 8045 is easier to carry concealed than my buddy's model 92?
xd subcom 45 is the same size as an xd subcom 9?
the other day I was wandering around doing chores with a retired cop and he never realized I had a 1911 on my belt until I pulled it out when we took a break to blow up old unopened sodas.

I knew someone was gonna hit on that, put it this way 9mm is a good round for carrying in a concealable package much larger is harder to control/hold on to. And anything less than 9mm is gonna have to be a damn nice shot, which is harder with smaller guns. Pretty sure that's what Vege-Taco meant.
To which I agree.

ETA: Though, you won't find me letting anyone shoot me anywhere with any caliber.

Last edited:
Back