Concealed carry recommendations

If a thread like this has been posted before, I apologize. I don't like to necropost and resurrect old threads.

I'm looking for options, suggestions, and recommendations for concealed carry. The legal landscape is very favorable on the matter, so choices come down to more practicality than anything.

Currently I've got an LCP with laser, riding in an Active Pro Gear holster in a cargo pocket. This has been working quite well for most of the year without issue. But as with our knives, I'd like a selection for rotation based on a number of circumstances. This is what I have in mind so far, but I'm open to advice.

Before the obvious question of body size and build is asked regarding options, I'm of what I consider to be average height and build. Hand size is difficult to judge, but I can comfortably hold both my Glock 19 and SIG P226 easily, although I need to shift my hold a bit to hit the magazine release.

.38 Special:
Smith & Wesson 442/642

9mm:
Glock 26
Kahr CW9
Remington R51
Ruger LC9S Pro

45 ACP:
Glock 30 SF
Glock 36

Glock and Sig have two different grip angles, what is more comfortable for you? Also, what is your price point?

The only recommendation I have is nix the Remington and add the Sig P320 subcompact and Walter PPS M2 to your list.

First, go with .45 acp...
Second, go with a Glock.

I happen to carry a full-sized Glock 21-2, IWB, with NO problem.

Last edited:
Glock and Sig have two different grip angles, what is more comfortable for you?

I haven't been able to do enough shooting to reach that conclusion yet,

Also, what is your price point?

Around $500.

The only recommendation I have is nix the Remington and add the Sig P320 subcompact and Walter PPS M2 to your list.

To be honest I really don't like either one of those at all.

if you are looking for micro pocket carry then consider a kahr P380 its very easy to carry and I like the long trigger travel as well as i alway carry in condition 1... be careful about the ammo you chose however for any 380... i like hornady critical defense ammo due to tappered bullet design and its ability to feed w/o failure to feed.... its what I personally carry...

if you are looking for something bigger then glock makes a single stack 9 (glock 43) and a single stack 380 (glock 42)... something bigger then glock 19 or glock 23

normally speaking, the bigger the gun the more likely you are to leave it at home... remember the gun that you have is better than the one sitting at home so the micro kahr p380 has the nod

Last edited:
Take a look at the S&W Shield, it's a nice carry piece also that seems to fit your criteria.

I've carried a Kahr P9 for 8 years, awesome carry gun. Very thin and light, though I wouldn't sneeze at a K9..

I third the shield and with the newer 9mm sd ammo available definitely more than adequate.I rotate between the shield in 9mm and a dan wesson guardian in .45 and I prefer sd ammo using the Barnes copper hp.

Have you given consideration for the differing manual of arms between what you carry and what your potential choices are?
(i.e. if the SHTF do you want to have to think about which gun you have on you today so you take the right actions?)

Just a thought...

For concealment, my first question would be how do you dress, and would modification of clothing be an option if it worked better?

My case, when I started, i was just getting out of school and in first real job. Dress was slacks/khakis, tucked button downs or polos. I ended up carrying off body in brief case, or just very uncomfortable on gun/rig combo. 40 years down the road, I've learned just enough to be comfortable. But have tossed "trending styles" out the window for form and function.

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

Last edited:
Kahrs are incredibly easy to conceal and have good triggers. Look at their CM9.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the J-frame S&W.

I usually carry either a 638 (shrouded hammer, 38 spec) or a 351PD (22 mag), both models offer single action capability, which I value. Very versatile, carry wise, and the all aluminum 351 is very light.

Another vote for the Glock 42. Pockets well enough and all but disappears when carried own or iwb. Also agreed on the critical defense by Hornady. I concur with the larger the gun the more likely it stays at home. The best gun to have is the one you have when you need one. Honorable mention to the S&W 642 .38. Pockets very well and stays outta the way when carried own/iwb. Great small frame revolver just wish it carried 6

Glock, I carry a 26. It fun to shoot at the range and is concealable but big enough to shoot well even at long distances.

Double stack you can use other magazines from glock.

First, go with .45 acp...
Second, go with a Glock.

I happen to carry a full-sized Glock 21-2, IWB, with NO problem.

IWB is very much a problem for me, so that's not really an option I have at my disposal.

if you are looking for micro pocket carry then consider a kahr P380 its very easy to carry and I like the long trigger travel as well as i alway carry in condition 1... be careful about the ammo you chose however for any 380... i like hornady critical defense ammo due to tappered bullet design and its ability to feed w/o failure to feed.... its what I personally carry...

How does the Kahr P380 compare to the Ruger LCP?

if you are looking for something bigger then glock makes a single stack 9 (glock 43) and a single stack 380 (glock 42)... something bigger then glock 19 or glock 23

I've considered the Glock 43 a bit. I really like the way it feels in the hand.

normally speaking, the bigger the gun the more likely you are to leave it at home... remember the gun that you have is better than the one sitting at home so the micro kahr p380 has the nod

That's why I've been focusing on subcompacts without steel frames.

Take a look at the S&W Shield, it's a nice carry piece also that seems to fit your criteria.

I've seen the Shield, but I really don't like it.

Have you given consideration for the differing manual of arms between what you carry and what your potential choices are?
(i.e. if the SHTF do you want to have to think about which gun you have on you today so you take the right actions?)

Just a thought...

It's always been a consideration I've been mindful of. That's why there are no 1911 designs on the list, or a more varied selection.

For concealment, my first question would be how do you dress, and would modification of clothing be an option if it worked better?

My case, when I started, i was just getting out of school and in first real job. Dress was slacks/khakis, tucked button downs or polos. I ended up carrying off body in brief case, or just very uncomfortable on gun/rig combo. 40 years down the road, I've learned just enough to be comfortable. But have tossed "trending styles" out the window for form and function.

Not working in an office setting that's not really a problem. Carry options can be inside a cargo pocket, front pocket, ankle holster, shoulder holster, or on the belt in colder weather. IWB is not an option I have.

I'm a big fan of the J-frame S&W.

I usually carry either a 638 (shrouded hammer, 38 spec) or a 351PD (22 mag), both models offer single action capability, which I value. Very versatile, carry wise, and the all aluminum 351 is very light.

I'm just now beginning to see the value of lightweight revolvers.

Another vote for the Glock 42. Pockets well enough and all but disappears when carried own or iwb. Also agreed on the critical defense by Hornady. I concur with the larger the gun the more likely it stays at home. The best gun to have is the one you have when you need one. Honorable mention to the S&W 642 .38. Pockets very well and stays outta the way when carried own/iwb. Great small frame revolver just wish it carried 6

Why the 42 as opposed to the 43?

Glock, I carry a 26. It fun to shoot at the range and is concealable but big enough to shoot well even at long distances.

Double stack you can use other magazines from glock.

That's one of the reasons it's on the list.

Really no big diff between the 42 and 43. Honestly I'll be getting the 43 this year as well. The 42 is only slightly smaller and for pocket carry it makes a difference. I have a shield 9mm and I can't pocket it since I'm a bigger guy and iwb is out for me too. The 42 just "fits" me well. I put a plus one vickers mag ext on mine and love the combo you could do the same with the 43

I carry a 43, 19, and a LCP. No, not all at once :)

Appendix carry with the 43 is what I do 90% of the time.

If I was going .45 I'd probably go with a Glock 30S or a 4" 1911.

I am in the same position... Just got my cc permit and I am shopping too. I am 6' 265 lb of pure sexy with medium to large hands. In my shopping around I have found it's all about how it feels in hand and the sights. With that said everyone is different and you best bet is to hit several gunships and fondle the hardware.

I have tried the following guns. M&p shield, Glock 26, sigp320, glock19, Berretta Px4 storm compact and sub compact, Smith and wesson sd9, Springfield armory xds and xd-mod2, Ruger lc9, Walther p22...

Of all the guns I held I liked the Beretta Px4 storm and Springfield xd-mod2 the best... They both seriously melt into my hand. The xd-mod2 has great sights right out of the box with highly visible red fiber optic.. it is also available in a bi-tone color... Black body with stainless slide.. of the two I am leaning towards the Springfield with a pinky extension on the mag... The Springfield is also cheaper.

Shoot straight and stay safe....

Merry Christmas and Peace..... OOK:thumbup:

Back