Convince Me: Let's See Some Nessmucks

I'm new around here. Some may know me from the Becker forum, or even the TM Hunt forum. I love user friendly knives that look incredible. Of course Fiddlebacks caught my eye. I had the pleasure of interviewing Andy at Blade last year. Unfortunately, the video file got corrupted by heat exposure (104F), and couldn't be used. I could tell just by handling the knives at the booth that Andy was a designer/maker that knows his stuff. He gave a great interview that I'm dying to make up this coming June. Which brings me to this thread. I plan to make my first purchase at blade 2016 (maybe sooner [emoji57]). I want to see some Nessmucks, of all sizes, user shots, and collector shots. Make me salivate. Have at thee!!!

Still Life: Nessmuk on Multigrain.

2014120610sm_zpsff1b31d9.jpg

I'll post some more tomorrow this is all I have on my phone.
Added a picture of the sheaths.

fc9f5653668a37c0becb1fce73f08f47.jpg

103032d9bc2ddc402c707a95b7bfe5f3.jpg

Last edited:
The Nessmuk always makes me feel nostalgic. It was a design that taught me to use knives differently, and to think of knives differently too. After using Nessmuks, I never went back to thick bladed knives. I learned to baton carefully, never to pry, and loved the improved cutting power of the thinner blade. Nowadays I never carry anything thicker than 1/8".

The Nessmuk always makes me feel nostalgic. It was a design that taught me to use knives differently, and to think of knives differently too. After using Nessmuks, I never went back to thick bladed knives. I learned to baton carefully, never to pry, and loved the improved cutting power of the thinner blade. Nowadays I never carry anything thicker than 1/8".

Man, I couldn't agree more, Andy. It was like coming up out of the water to realize thick blades aren't all that necessary. Too many people believe they HAVE to have all knives at 3/16-1/4" thick. I, always, see this as a lack of skill, and experience. Don't get me wrong. I'm not putting those people down. Just being patient with them until they enlighten themselves (because they sure won't listen to me [emoji23]).

I'm certain one of your Nessmucks will be my first Fiddleback.

Then why so many knives in 5/32 or even any in 3/16? Sharing the desire for 1/8" blades, between the Friday offerings and existing dealer stocks, I have walked past many offerings because of this. Might this relate to sales/market issues, being discussed in that other thread? Am I alone? For me, and I bet Im not alone, certain models do to their apparent function, should only, or mostly only, be in certain blade thicknesses.

Then why so many knives in 5/32 or even any in 3/16? Sharing the desire for 1/8" blades, between the Friday offerings and existing dealer stocks, I have walked past many offerings because of this. Might this relate to sales/market issues, being discussed in that other thread? Am I alone? For me, and I bet Im not alone, certain models do to their apparent function, should only, or mostly only, be in certain blade thicknesses.

Different folk like different stuff. Andy designs models that cover the gamut from small to large with many different uses. In those models, he builds individual knives for what people might like, not just what he likes. For example, a couple years ago Andy said "au revoir scandis" because he didn't like them. After a lot of requests, from myself included, he now makes quite a few of them, including a model that is such a good scandi blade it's known as the "scandiman".

You'll see people salivate over different sizes and different grinds because they want to use that model for different things.

What's a "Hiking Buddy" supposed to be used for? The name might apply it's for casual hiking through the woods, maybe splitting up some wood to heat water for coffee while on the trail. Does that mean it's the only thing that model can be used for? I have one in 3/32" scandi that's one of my favorite EDC blades. It opens mail, cuts up apples and carves wood on my front porch. I wouldn't want to use it as my primary woods knife because my typical usage would want something thicker and a different grind. Doesn't mean a Hiking Buddy can't do that, just not mine.

Take a look at the Runt. You'll see them in 3/32" to 3/16" and people want them all. A super thin slicer that slips in your pocket for EDC? Or a bomb proof backup/utility/last ditch neck knife on your backcountry trip?

Last edited:
I've been looking at minimuks for a while now, interested in 1/8 stock with a high grind. Andy's nessmuk design really catches my eye, but I've never had a nessmuk and do not understand the purpose of the blade shape. It looks like it would be great for food prep, maybe some hunting tasks. Would it make a good small, all-purpose primary backpacking blade? I mean specifically a knife that can handle lots of odd miscellaneous cutting, light fire prep, food prep, and "survival" in a pinch.

Man, I couldn't agree more, Andy. It was like coming up out of the water to realize thick blades aren't all that necessary. Too many people believe they HAVE to have all knives at 3/16-1/4" thick. I, always, see this as a lack of skill, and experience. Don't get me wrong. I'm not putting those people down. Just being patient with them until they enlighten themselves (because they sure won't listen to me [emoji23]).

I'm certain one of your Nessmucks will be my first Fiddleback.

I still own and make knives that way. But its not what I carry. Much like stabilized handles. I don't carry those either.

I don't think so. Certainly I don't think making thicker Nessmuks is why the sales have been off. In addition, the pictures above show a lot of Camp Nessmuks. Which, by admission, is not reminicent of the first Nessmuk what so ever. It was never designed that way. Its a chopper with a sinusoidal shape. Some guys just like thicker stuff and I like making knives for them too. We make many more thin Nessies, I mean the 4" bladed model that is kinda more true to the original, than we do thick.

I've been looking at minimuks for a while now, interested in 1/8 stock with a high grind. Andy's nessmuk design really catches my eye, but I've never had a nessmuk and do not understand the purpose of the blade shape. It looks like it would be great for food prep, maybe some hunting tasks. Would it make a good small, all-purpose primary backpacking blade? I mean specifically a knife that can handle lots of odd miscellaneous cutting, light fire prep, food prep, and "survival" in a pinch.

Sears believed in carrying a trio of tools, rather than some big heavy knife that was supposed to do everything. He carried a very small double bit hatchet, a belt knife with a thin blade, and a pocketknife. The blade shape excels at skinning and camp food prep. Its not a wonder knife for bushcrafting though. The back of the knife was supposed to be used to eat his potatoes like a spoon. His little book is a great read. You can download it on the net for free. Search for George Washington Sears.

Different folk like different stuff. Andy designs models that cover the gamut from small to large with many different uses. In those models, he builds individual knives for what people might like, not just what he likes. For example, a couple years ago Andy said "au revoir scandis" because he didn't like them. After a lot of requests, from myself included, he now makes quite a few of them, including a model that is such a good scandi blade it's known as the "scandiman".

You'll see people salivate over different sizes and different grinds because they want to use that model for different things.

What's a "Hiking Buddy" supposed to be used for? The name might apply it's for casual hiking through the woods, maybe splitting up some wood to heat water for coffee while on the trail. Does that mean it's the only thing that model can be used for? I have one in 3/32" scandi that's one of my favorite EDC blades. It opens mail, cuts up apples and carves wood on my front porch. I wouldn't want to use it as my primary woods knife because my typical usage would want something thicker and a different grind. Doesn't mean a Hiking Buddy can't do that, just not mine.

Take a look at the Runt. You'll see them in 3/32" to 3/16" and people want them all. A super thin slicer that slips in your pocket for EDC? Or a bomb proof backup/utility/last ditch neck knife on your backcountry trip?

I get that different folks want different things, but I suspect within a certain more narrow range then is currently being offered. It strikes me, and I am admittedly frightfully new at this, that a Hiking Buddy, to stay with your example, is hardly ever gonna see use as a Bushcraft knife. Can you imagine anyone seriously batoning or whacking little pieces of firewood with it? Its an EDC, (box opener, letter opener, cord cutter) sized thing and it could definitely serve in bird and trout cleaning, and small meal food prep role. Could it do more in a pinch - sure, but would you choose it or buy it anticipating that? So, 1/8 or 3/32 seems about right for this.

The Bushcrafter, or other bush crafting designs are targeting , that heavier use, so heavier stock to protect the blade from impact and twist damage makes sense. 5/32, you bet. 1/8, depending that you see your app more for slicing than whacking, OK, I get those offerings. 3/32? No way. Why would anybody, or mostly anybody want one set up that way? Regards the Runt, it seems in a category all its own. Theres never enough available, so guys will buy what comes along. Gonna clean a salmon? No. Gonna butcher a deer, or Elk or Moose or Elephant, of course not. Though somebody will no doubt try just to prove a point. Some models, (many, most?) get bought on esthetics not on functionality. To me the Runt is one of those. The 5/32 TT Runts Ive seen are particularly attractive, given the addition of the edge appearance to the short sinuous, flowing lines of the thing. My Spyderco Techno, has a similar thuggish, curvaceous look to it. And the different blade thicknesses have practically no impact, Im guessing on the way a Runt gets actually used. All Im trying to say here is certain models, independent of the Runt and a couple others, clearly are designed for uses, most of the time. If Andy tries to make every model with every blade thickness, all the time, then stuff backs up as many of us will wait for what we believe is an optimum, choice.

I get that different folks want different things, but I suspect within a certain more narrow range then is currently being offered. It strikes me, and I am admittedly frightfully new at this, that a Hiking Buddy, to stay with your example, is hardly ever gonna see use as a Bushcraft knife. Can you imagine anyone seriously batoning or whacking little pieces of firewood with it? Its an EDC, (box opener, letter opener, cord cutter) sized thing and it could definitely serve in bird and trout cleaning, and small meal food prep role. Could it do more in a pinch - sure, but would you choose it or buy it anticipating that? So, 1/8 or 3/32 seems about right for this.

The Bushcrafter, or other bush crafting designs are targeting , that heavier use, so heavier stock to protect the blade from impact and twist damage makes sense. 5/32, you bet. 1/8, depending that you see your app more for slicing than whacking, OK, I get those offerings. 3/32? No way. Why would anybody, or mostly anybody want one set up that way? Regards the Runt, it seems in a category all its own. Theres never enough available, so guys will buy what comes along. Gonna clean a salmon? No. Gonna butcher a deer, or Elk or Moose or Elephant, of course not. Though somebody will no doubt try just to prove a point. Some models, (many, most?) get bought on esthetics not on functionality. To me the Runt is one of those. The 5/32 TT Runts Ive seen are particularly attractive, given the addition of the edge appearance to the short sinuous, flowing lines of the thing. My Spyderco Techno, has a similar thuggish, curvaceous look to it. And the different blade thicknesses have practically no impact, Im guessing on the way a Runt gets actually used. All Im trying to say here is certain models, independent of the Runt and a couple others, clearly are designed for uses, most of the time. If Andy tries to make every model with every blade thickness, all the time, then stuff backs up as many of us will wait for what we believe is an optimum, choice.

Its funny. I've had and used lots of 5/32" Hiking Buddies. And the Hiking Buddy was designed after the Puukko. Its super at bushcrafting. The Bushcrafter/Bushfinger is great at 3/32. Lots of demand for it in that. I carried one that was 3/32 for a long time, doing bushcrafting. Its just that I treat my knives carefully when I bushcraft. Again, its just different strokes for different folks.

I still own and make knives that way. But its not what I carry. Much like stabilized handles. I don't carry those either.

I don't think so. Certainly I don't think making thicker Nessmuks is why the sales have been off. In addition, the pictures above show a lot of Camp Nessmuks. Which, by admission, is not reminicent of the first Nessmuk what so ever. It was never designed that way. Its a chopper with a sinusoidal shape. Some guys just like thicker stuff and I like making knives for them too. We make many more thin Nessies, I mean the 4" bladed model that is kinda more true to the original, than we do thick.

Sears believed in carrying a trio of tools, rather than some big heavy knife that was supposed to do everything. He carried a very small double bit hatchet, a belt knife with a thin blade, and a pocketknife. The blade shape excels at skinning and camp food prep. Its not a wonder knife for bushcrafting though. The back of the knife was supposed to be used to eat his potatoes like a spoon. His little book is a great read. You can download it on the net for free. Search for George Washington Sears.

Andy, So help, please. When you say thin, I believe you're talking 1/8 SFT, 1/8 TT or 3/32 SFT and that's what one should look for in the 4" Nessie - have I interpreted that right? Ive been looking at at least 4 or 5 Nessmuks, that I was attracted to for several weeks now, at KSF, DLT, Knife Connection, etc. each is in 5/32 TT and because they've been sitting AND because I'm new at this I interpret that to mean possibly there's something not perfectly desirable in that combo and thats why guys who know, haven't bought. Im sure theres larger market conditions at work - example my question re the knife bus slows when the gun bus goes bonkers, yesterday. But see how this all things, to all people, all the time creates some issues?

What Nessie, as an example of the original real deal, should I be jonesing for?

To get an as accurate as possible to the historical original, you need the thinnest blade you can get. Folks think his knife was a broken skinning knife. It would have had a kitchen thickness blade. When I was trying for very accurate Nessmuks I carried 1/8" or thinner.

Andy, FREAKING good to see and hear your input here! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back