Corona thread. No politics please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quebec had 39 thousand confirmed cases and 3000 deaths
today was first day back to school there...

The math is scary and that's why well before Bill Gates assumed deity status many people warned that inevitably viruses, bacteria and other pathogens would develop into a form we had little or no immunity to or treatment for. There are so many of them and they mutate so fast that inevitably they will find our weak spot. Evolution ain't pretty, especially when you lose.
This is not the end of the world. This is not the Black death or small pox or polio.
Compare how they coped and how we cope. At least we're not burning witches. Not yet anyway.Different times, different culture - and beyond that it's politics and that's not for here.

Not the Black Death, But it is a real pandemic and very dangerous.
Make no mistake this is a huge warning sign though. The doctors don't really understand this Sars-2 virus. They do know it ain't no flu. it selectively attacks different organs, usually starting in the gastro, and it can attack the heart, the brain, blood causing bleeding or coagulations as well as the immunity storm, and they have very little ability to predict who will die from it. Doctor Radio on Sirius XM gives it to you straighter than any other source I've heard and they pioneered this stuff. Scary. And this pandemic is a pussycat next to what may come.

We should be preparing for a really serious one ( viral or bacterial ) by some strategy better than shutting everything down and hiding in the closet.
Me, i have my priorities straight, hoarding the best knives, and scotch, i can.
Hiding in the closet indefinitely is certainly not the answer. The problem is the people.

People in general, want their freedom, but they want to be able to have their cake, and eat it too.

"With great power, comes great responsibility".

People don't seem to consider this when it comes to 'Freedom'. To them, 'Freedom' just means "I want to be able do whatever I want, whenever I want, as I want".

The government shouldn't HAVE to mandate a lot of the mitigating measures, but common sense, common courtesy/consideration and personal responsibility are so UNcommon these days, that the government has few other options.

Does a government HAVE to tell people, "If you're sick, stay home"? Does a government like South Korea HAVE to fine people $10,000 USD for breaking a quarantine that they've been instructed not to break? Should a government HAVE to mandate the use of masks in public, and then use fines to enforce the edicts?

They shouldn't have to, and they wouldn't have to if most people understood both personal responsibility AND common courtesy.

I've already mentioned more than once, why I object to the stupidity of the, "masks don't work, don't buy them" message initially being pushed by the talking heads, then later, switching to, "my mask protects you, your mask protects me".

Mixed messages lead to distrust and folks not complying. A message that your mask primarily stops you from giving it to other people, leads the selfish to not bother wearing them because "they're uncomfortable", or they, "don't like the way they look" or whatever other selfish reason.

Anyone who's been studying epidemiology understands that a pathogen that spreads by respiratory transmission will potentially be one of the most serious pandemic threats because of the ease of transmission and widespread contagion.

This means that governmental preparations require ensuring the supply of PPE, not just for health care workers, but for every single citizen in the country.

If all our countrymen had the consideration to stay home when they know/suspect they might be sick, and mask up when going out in public (especially against a pathogen like this, that can spread while an infected person is asymptomatic and isn't even aware that they're contagious), the number of cases and deaths would be substantially lower.

Instead, the US STILL doesn't have anywhere near enough PPE for everyone, AND we see reports of selfish retards getting into arguments, fighting and even returning with their waste-of-air family members to murder someone because they don't feel like wearing a mask when entering an establishment.

For some folks, "Their business, their rules" appears to be a catchy thing to say, only when the rules don't apply to them, or are in regard to something they don't personally care about.

"They don't want to bake a cake for an LGBT couple? Lol. Their business, their rules. I don't see anything wrong with that because I'm not LGBT".

'No firearms allowed on premises'. "Their business, their rules. I hate firearms anyway".

'No shoes, no shirt, no service'? "Oh, that's fine. I don't walk around barefoot and shirtless".

'No mask, no service' "WAAAAAAAAA!!!!".

Right, 'neglecting my machine' by getting old and getting cancer. Fucking dipshit.

Norcaldude, while I understand where you're coming from, this is not the correct forum to be calling someone a "fucking dipshit". If people want a non political place to discuss this virus with rational adults I'm fine with this thread on our sub, but if it devolves into insults it has to go.

Last edited:
https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/...story/9f22fda0855c14721e5a46943cf751fc#.0o1d6

1 guy, caused the bars to get shut down again within days of reopening. We don't have the level of 'Big Brother' overwatch contact tracing that they have there (and I would vehemently oppose it being mandated here, no matter how effective it is).

Reaction to new clusters here will be much slower, which means that by the time new clusters are identified, they'll have spread too much to contain and isolate.

It'll be interesting to compare these in 3-4 weeks
View attachment 1338982
Sadly, I think we can already see the writing on the wall.

What's included in the partial reopenings? I hope they don't mean schools like what they did in Quebec, our hardest hit province -___-
So far, I haven’t seen anything about schools opening, thankfully, but I’m sure that’ll be on the way.
The majority of states are opening industry, food and drink, retail and outdoor recreation.

This is a New York Times article that I’m not quite sure how to share here.

With the news I got this morning, I now know of 6 people personally that have died from the virus. 2 were in their early 40's and in great shape with no underlying conditions. It's like their bodies just gave up. And then I know of a few people that consider covid-19 some sort of deep-state conspiracy and are deliberately flaunting all precautions. Makes me very mad.

With the news I got this morning, I now know of 6 people personally that have died from the virus. 2 were in their early 40's and in great shape with no underlying conditions. It's like their bodies just gave up. And then I know of a few people that consider covid-19 some sort of deep-state conspiracy and are deliberately flaunting all precautions. Makes me very mad.
Sorry to hear that.

Really sorry to hear this. The conspiracy theorist piss me off so much. They're so much like antivaxxers.

I know this is a covid19 thread but I have to point out that what's happening now is an example of the world that's missing a single vaccine.

Wider antibody testing is indicating that we still have a long way to go in this journey.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...baseball-covid-19-coronavirus-antibodies-test

As I'm sure folks have read, the Stanford study of the small sample tested in Santa Clara, has been ripped apart as hot garbage.

The Stanford study's sampling was biased. Their actual positive results were within the error range for false positive results from the test they used (i.e. it's statistically possible that ALL their positive results could be false positives),and yet their conclusion was to multiply the low number of positives to infer that the actual % of the population who have antibodies is far greater. No confirmation yet, on if they used a Magic 8 ball to arrive at their conclusions.

I posted a graph either earlier in this thread, or in the Random Thoughts thread, of the prevailing ILI (Influenza Like Illness) test results from testing earlier in the year, up until February.

Contrary to conjecture by many people, that they had Covid-19 earlier in the year because they were sick, therefore the bug must've been Covid-19, the tests show that there were a LOT of other bugs circulating through the season, and despite occasional cases here and there, community spread of Covid-19 in the US really only began around mid to late February.

The majority of tested cases actually showed colds to top the causes, RSVs (Respiratory Syncytial Virus) in the running after that, with Influenza A and B below RSVs (it's been a bad season for RSVs).

The other indicator is that nationwide, even in the midst of the spread of Covid-19, of the symptomatic patients being tested, only 10% or less have actually tested positive for Covid-19. The other 90+% were symptomatic from other respiratory illnesses. Yet, some folks continue to think there's a huge percentage of hidden cases of people who've already had Covid-19 and are now immune.

Also pertinent to bear in mind, the various serology tests have varying levels of sensitivity and specificity. Eg. For amusements sake

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...st-kit-40-pack/2122261/p-7919224476615278.htm

Specifically states:
"positive results may be due to past or present infections with non-SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus strains such as coronavirus HKU1, NL63, OC43 or 229E."

Great. A kit supposedly testing for antibodies to the SARS-CoV-2 virus, may show a false positive due to antibodies from one of the 4 common coronaviruses that cause common colds and circulate year round.

More datapoints indicating that the theory of masses of already infected/recovered, isn't really bearing out:

https://hotair.com/archives/allahpu...e-show-just-five-percent-population-infected/

SARS back in 2003 saw similar issues. The theory while it was active, was that the CFR was around 3%, based on estimates that there were a lot more mild/undocumented cases.

When it was all said and done, they discovered that there weren't anywhere near the number of uncounted cases as assumed and the CFR turned out to be about 10%.

I'm not saying that SARS-CoV-2 has a CFR closer to 10%, I'm saying that the actual data doesn't support the theories that the CFR is closer to 0.3% than 3%, based on the assumptions that there are 10x as many cases that haven't been documented/confirmed.

More datapoints indicating that the theory of masses of already infected/recovered, isn't really bearing out:

https://hotair.com/archives/allahpu...e-show-just-five-percent-population-infected/

SARS back in 2003 saw similar issues. The theory while it was active, was that the CFR was around 3%, based on estimates that there were a lot more mild/undocumented cases.

When it was all said and done, they discovered that there weren't anywhere near the number of uncounted cases as assumed and the CFR turned out to be about 10%.

I'm not saying that SARS-CoV-2 has a CFR closer to 10%, I'm saying that the actual data doesn't support the theories that the CFR is closer to 0.3% than 3%, based on the assumptions that there are 10x as many cases that haven't been documented/confirmed.

I am no scientist and my opinion comes outta my own arse like most folks to my left or to my right but this is how I "feel" about this:

Lots of people thinking that they have had it and are somehow immune to it, is nothing but delusional hogwash! Those who think that this is naught but a hoax, I won't ever bother wasting my thoughts and words on anymore so back to the shall we say, extremely optimistic sorts who think that they are somehow Teflon coated against COVID-19:

This is a very, very, very nasty virus which now that is loose among us, is gonna stick around for a while and if/when you get it, you will most likely know that you GOT it. The notion that most people are asymptomatic in my lowly opinion is just BULLSHIT. This friggin thing is like radiation, the more you are exposed to it, the more likely that you will catch it and the more likely to die from it.

"Study: Vitamin D deficiency may be linked to COVID-19 mortality — how a common vitamin could become pivotal"
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/new...in-d-linked-covid-19-mortality-141201888.html

I'm not a medical professional, but I also recommend vitamin C and zinc to help fight cold/flu type viruses.

Be careful not to take too much vitamin D or zinc. I normally take 1000 IU (25 mcg) of vitamin D3 - I recently doubled that amount due to the Corona virus being so dangerous (I will not take any more than 2000 IU of vitamin D without having my blood level checked). Based on my personal experience, it is nearly impossible to take too much vitamin C.

"Study: Vitamin D deficiency may be linked to COVID-19 mortality — how a common vitamin could become pivotal"
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/new...in-d-linked-covid-19-mortality-141201888.html

I'm not a medical professional, but I also recommend vitamin C and zinc to help fight cold/flu type viruses.

Be careful not to take too much vitamin D or zinc. I normally take 1000 IU (25 mcg) of vitamin D3 - I recently doubled that amount due to the Corona virus being so dangerous (I will not take any more than 2000 IU of vitamin D without having my blood level checked). Based on my personal experience, it is nearly impossible to take too much vitamin C.
Be careful with fat soluble vitamins.

See the clip of the two frontline doctors interviewed that said the restrictions need to be lifted.. I agree and do it before we have total economic collapse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back