CPK EDC2

I must say I'm a little disappointed if it's the same style sheaths as before. But it's the only complaint I have, so wth. ;) I can understand the arguments that they carry smaller, but in terms of versatility they don't count for much. It feels like a waste and I wish there was the option to order without sheath, since it ends up like very expensive product packaging for me and others that order custom sheaths right away.

Did you ask to order without a sheath? I'm asking as I have done that in the past. Wondering if they discontinued that option.

Did you ask to order without a sheath? I'm asking as I have done that in the past. Wondering if they discontinued that option.

I had also won / ordered several EDC-1 versions in the past. I recall it was quite a while back when Jo had stated to me that they were no longer shipping out without any sheath option.

I asked with the previous EDC and then it was not an option to get without a sheath. Other models I've received without a sheath.

I asked with the previous EDC and then it was not an option to get without a sheath. Other models I've received without a sheath.

I think that CPK used to be open to selling / shipping without a sheath when sheaths were available for a said pattern (some patterns like the BC had no sheath option) but IIRC it was around Sept of last year when they decided that they were no longer offer a W/O sheath option when sheaths were an integral part of a said pattern.

They look very much like the old sheath for the original EDC except the rivets are brass color

13.jpg~original

14.jpg~original

A video illustrating the sheath options:

[video=youtube;HiG_KqF06KY]
So you have to yank the knife out of the vertical sheath?...I can't see any where on the top of the sheath where you can pop the knife out with your thumb, with more control. I'm hoping not...since edc's go in and out of the sheath a lot when using on a certain tasks, especially if your non knife hand is holding something up....that blade is in there deeep....looks tough on micarta handle scales over time

Last edited:
Wasn't mashed cat making the sheaths...The video I believe said its a Dozier sheath. The style is definitely Dozier

Wasn't mashed cat making the sheaths...The video I believe said its a Dozier sheath, which the style looks like to me

Mashedcat presented a pattern to bid for the job, but Nathan ultimately decided to go with Dozier who had done the original sheaths for EDC-1. Nathan wrote up his reasoning behind this and it was ultimately his decision in conference with Jo the Real Boss ;)

I assume that since Eric has already bid on this pattern, many of us will also be contacting him for one of his sheaths too for the EDC-2. I went with horizontal just for that reason :thumbsup: but I understand concerns if further cost would be an obstacle.

Here you go'
Eric makes very good sheaths (one of the best in the industry) and we did evaluate him for this project, but given some functional and dimensional requirements for a small everyday carry fixed blade we found the best designs with Dozier. Our sheath offerings for the EDC2 will be similar to the EDC1 with a couple tweaks for increased long term durability and a different rivet. Incremental improvement rather than radical change. The Mashed Cat was very nice though. The print under a shirt, the distance it stuck out from the belt, the presentation to the hand and other small ergonomic considerations ended up being the deciding factors. Dozier has been designing sheaths for discrete comfortable carry of small knives for a long time and has it dialed in. They were close though.

Mashedcat presented a pattern to bid for the job, but Nathan ultimately decided to go with Dozier who had done the original sheaths for EDC-1. Nathan wrote up his reasoning behind this and it was ultimately his decision in conference with Jo the Real Boss ;)

I assume that since Eric has already bid on this pattern, many of us will also be contacting him for one of his sheaths too for the EDC-2. I went with horizontal just for that reason :thumbsup: but I understand concerns if further cost would be an obstacle.
Yeah, I missed all this. The horizontal seems fine...I just don't have enough flat spots on my body for this particular knife (izula works).... horizontal on my back is not comfortable when sitting or falling on your spine

Here you go'
Eric makes very good sheaths (one of the best in the industry) and we did evaluate him for this project, but given some functional and dimensional requirements for a small everyday carry fixed blade we found the best designs with Dozier. Our sheath offerings for the EDC2 will be similar to the EDC1 with a couple tweaks for increased long term durability and a different rivet. Incremental improvement rather than radical change. The Mashed Cat was very nice though. The print under a shirt, the distance it stuck out from the belt, the presentation to the hand and other small ergonomic considerations ended up being the deciding factors. Dozier has been designing sheaths for discrete comfortable carry of small knives for a long time and has it dialed in. They were close though.
But, can you pop the blade out with your thumb on the vertical carry?

You could always heat up the sheath red hot and press it up against your body for a really nice tatoo of a sheath.:D

The vertical carry slides in smooth and seats without the needed twisting and hard thumb click of the horizontal sheath.
More like a mashed cat as it slides in smooth and the extra kydex over the handle grips the knife with light friction.
If you're using the blade and re-sheathing often vertical would probably be better. I prefer the horizontal as I've normally got
something else attached to my belt at the 4 o'clock right side where a knife usually goes (pistol, bigger fixed blade:))
Nathan's video explains the different sheaths pretty well.

see Entry #216 this thread for info
thats why I am asking, the video shows him pulling the blade out unattached with 2 hands with the vertical sheath....not popping the blade out in a more controlled manner with the thumb...I will just figure you can't pop the blade out...you have to tug it out of the sheath, then re grip higher up on the handle once you get the blade out

The vertical sheath does not have very high retention so it drops in and pulls out with one hand no problem. To me it is similar to an old school leather sheath in that regard. The horizontal sheath has very high retention because gravity doesn't help hold it in, so it does take a thumb and a twist to get it out. They both work flawlessly with one hand and become second nature to use. Dozier has his work dialed in very well.

I think that CPK used to be open to selling / shipping without a sheath when sheaths were available for a said pattern (some patterns like the BC had no sheath option) but IIRC it was around Sept of last year when they decided that they were no longer offer a W/O sheath option when sheaths were an integral part of a said pattern.

AFAIK the LC have always been priced without a sheath, and the sheath optional, at least as late as January this year.

Back