CPK modifications

Love that Shadetree!

rh3OdAZ.jpg

HQ33ELX.jpg

Beautiful work in here! I'm interested in swapping scales out like Gusbuster Gusbuster and TRfromMT TRfromMT , but it sounds like the scales may be hard to get off, per Nathan's comments about the tight tolerances of the scales and pins today in the "ask Nathan" thread:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-ask-nathan-a-question-thread.1425245/page-61 post#1209

My first CPK is inbound. I specifically wanted to swap back and forth between Terotuf and canvas mic to explore performance, and don't want to deface what may be my only tool of this calibre. I was really hoping this was just a matter of loosening screws and slipping them off, but sounds like Nathan has them machined so precisely I am wondering if specialty tools will be needed. Can any of you speak to the difficulty/challenges in scales swaps? Is it any harder than a PM2 scale change? TYIA

Last edited:
It's not that hard. You'll need two drivers of the appropriate size. Loosen the screws on the non-Carothers Logo side. Sometimes you need a second driver to hold the other, sometimes you don't. But have one incase.

On one of my knives I have to tap the tube into place to get it in, but the rest all slide in fine. I usually loose a bit then push the tube out with the screw I'm loosening.

I give the screw a dab of blue loctite before I put it back in.

Thanks Skrapmetal Skrapmetal ! That's what I hoped for. I was worried I'd have trouble removing the pins, or that I'd risk damaging them in order to get the scales off. I haven't tinkered with higher end/sentimental tools like this before. got me sweating. ;/

If you can successfully work on a PM2 Packerrat Packerrat you can do this. Just take care when you are pushing the pin through that you don't mushroom the end of it. That will tend to cause it to gall in the hole in the tang.

That's one cool f'in' piece, Nathan. Love the acid wash patina. I thi.... ...... and th............ ac....., right?

(a phone imitation)

Back