CPKhuk

it was likely around 2005, similar timeframe to joining Bladeforums, when I really started getting into khukuris. Trailworks Inc. was started in 2003, before I got into the bike shop owning/operating business, and I always struggled finding a decent machete which is a critical tool for the kind of work I specialize in.

having discovered Bladeforums, I found out about this brand, Becker, who produced this weird knife called the Machax. I got one and it made all the difference. I used the hell out of that knife until the blade snapped in half. There were some issues with the design that always bugged me, but that dropped edge convinced me of its efficacy. Not long after, I discovered Khukuri House, and started importing khukuris to sell through my online store, Bladeworks.

after having broken a couple khukuris I got from them, I ordered this mack daddy which they kindly etched my company logo onto. I never could get super comfortable using it as it was a little heavy and the handle was very uncomfortable. But it never broke. As you can see, I made some modifications to the handle. The wood shrunk so much, though, that I gave up on this knife and discovered custom knives, where you could have pretty much anything you wanted, so long as you could afford it.

OP1HYUh.jpg

D0n0Vnl.jpg

P7SymxQ.jpg

this was one of my favourites, I think it was of the sirupate variety
GUXIen2.jpg

it had a less aggressive drop than the more standard models, and while it didn't chop quite as well, it handled great- very lively, and it didn't deflect as bad. I used it for almost a year, and one day while chopping at a log, the blade just fell off the handle. Nothing dramatic, more like a 'just riding along' type thing- accumulated fatigue. It was replaced under warranty, but I gave it to a friend since I discovered Matt Lamey who made me his version of a khuk. That Machax I had lasted about the same amount of time as this khuk and cost 5 times as much, lol

I'm enjoying watching your progress on this.

To be honest, I've never been a fan of khukuri style knives but admittedly, it is likely due to me not using the right techniques while in use. The Becker BK-4 (Machax) and BK-21 (Reinhart Kukri) are my absolute least favorite Becker designs and to my fellow Beckerheads, that is likely akin to sacrilege.

That all said, I have absolute trust in your designs and I am looking forward to seeing this project unfold.

I'm enjoying watching your progress on this.

To be honest, I've never been a fan of khukuri style knives but admittedly, it is likely due to me not using the right techniques while in use. The Becker BK-4 (Machax) and BK-21 (Reinhart Kukri) are my absolute least favorite Becker designs and to my fellow Beckerheads, that is likely akin to sacrilege.

That all said, I have absolute trust in your designs and I am looking forward to seeing this project unfold.

they got some things right with the machax and some things wrong. Can't say much about the reinhart other than it looks a little awkward for some reason.

your words are very kind, thank you so much.

I got some interesting work done today, realizing I need more tools, but learning how to do without. At least I'm not squatting in a tin shed at 1400m above see level over a coal fire, with a ball pein hammer and a mercedes leaf spring!

unless I'm crying all day, I might have a photo or two tomorrow

Back