Crosscut Saw Thread

I have never seen a handle that uses the notches on a 520, does anyone own one or have a photo of one? If they do do exist they are very rare. The Sells handle does not use the notches.
Jim

I see your example. I had always heard that the top notch was for a Sells handle, but as you've shown, it wouldn't line up.

LMG0T2i.jpg

this was on one of the saws i brought home, the medallion said warranted superior so it's probably from a hardware chain, there was much more writing on it but it was all too faint. sorry for my angry ferret lookin' drawing.

S Steve Tall know anything about this saw?

Here are some tools that I have never seen before, I could not think of a better place to post them. I thought that they were tinsmith tools until i had them in my hand. I can see that they were struck in use and are saw related, but can anyone describe the exact purpose and method of use? Reshaping teeth?

IMG_20180904_182824 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180904_182840 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180904_182849 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
i have seen these a quite a few times, obviously you hammer on one end, other than that i'm about as familiar with them as i am with the back of my head

i'v got no friggin clue dude

Disston saw swage. US patent # 130,484.
http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?pn=130484&id=7334
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/1c/fe/be/a165fd33e11311/US130484.pdf
7334-1.jpg

Specification describing an Improved Saw
Tooth Swage, invented by JoHN CONNOR, of
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Improvement in Saw-Tooth Sacage.
The object of my invention is a saw-tooth
swage of a more economical and durable char
acter than those of the class to which my in
vention appertains. My improved swage con
sists of but two parts, namely, the block. A
of steel, and the band or ferrule B, one side
of the latter being removed in the perspec
tive view illustrated in the accompanying
drawing for the better demonstration of my
invention.
The block A is of proper shape and dimen
sions for being grasped by one hand of the
operator, and is suitably rounded at the outer
end for receiving the blows of the hammer in
the other hand of the operator. In the pres
ent instance two angular notches, a ca, are
formed in the swaging end of the instrument,
and two holes, bb, are drilled transversely
through the block, the metal intervening be
tween the bottom of each notch, and the ad
jacent hole being severed with a fine saw.
The slots thus formed, however, are tightly
closed on driving the tapering ferrule B onto
the tapering end of the block, and thus a
sharp, well-defined corner is always presented

where the two sides of each notch meet, for
acting on the extreme cutting-edge of a saw
tooth, the perfection of the swage depending
upon the perfection of the bottom of each
notch.
In saw-tooth swages of this class detachable
pieces are usually fitted to the swaging end for
the formation of the notch. I not only save
expense by dispensing with these pieces, which
demand accurate fitting, but, by making the
block A of one solid piece, in the manner de
scribed, increased solidity and durability are
imparted to the instrument.
It will be observed that one of the notches
has slightly rounded sides, which have the ef
fect of spreading the cutting-edges of a Saw
tooth, the other notch having straight sides for
imparting the proper straight edge to the tooth
after the latter has been spread.
I claim as my invention
A saw-tooth swage composed of a block, A,
notched, drilled, and slotted, and combined
With a tapering ferrule, B, all as set forth.
In testimony whereofI have signed my name
to this specification in the presence of two
subscribing witnesses.
Witnesses:
WM. A. STEEL
JOHN CONNOR,
JOHN K. R.UPERTUS.

Speaking of swaging, on crosscuts is it done with small, medium or substantial hits? i'v been doing light taps and there seems like there should be a better way.

Different saws have different steels, thicknesses, tempers, etc. I start light to see if I'm getting any movement and swing a bit more if my light taps have no effect. I would never swing hard on any saw and I never strike the raker directly with a hammer, I hold a 1/2" grade 8 bolt against the raker and hammer on that. Heating the rakers, thinning the tips striking from a different angle will all change how the swaging proceeds. I'm working on a Simonds #13 right now that the previous filer attempted to swage, broke four rakers, and gave up.

Different saws have different steels, thicknesses, tempers, etc. I start light to see if I'm getting any movement and swing a bit more if my light taps have no effect. I would never swing hard on any saw and I never strike the raker directly with a hammer, I hold a 1/2" grade 8 bolt against the raker and hammer on that. Heating the rakers, thinning the tips striking from a different angle will all change how the swaging proceeds. I'm working on a Simonds #13 right now that the previous filer attempted to swage, broke four rakers, and gave up.
Thanks trail, you're great help.

Can some id these saws? Sadly not mine but I'm still curious. The one in the dark, crummy pics he might be interested in getting rid of so I want to know if y'all think it's salvageable or not. I plan on shortening it to a one man like Jim Thode does so it being broken doesn't matter.
IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg
IMG_0060.jpg

Can some id these saws? Sadly not mine but I'm still curious. The one in the dark, crummy pics he might be interested in getting rid of so I want to know if y'all think it's salvageable or not. I plan on shortening it to a one man like Jim Thode does so it being broken doesn't matter.
IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg
IMG_0060.jpg

That top buck saw I would leave as is, intact, work with it as is. From what I see, I would want it as is!

The pictures are hard and I personally do not have the experience to know by sight like that.

Good luck acquiring!

Gotchya and great!

I too wont pass on a bend or break in the blade, any missing or broken teeth. I have plans to shorten if the opportunity presents itself and use each one to gain experience for the next.

I am hooked:cool::thumbsup:

Good luck i wish I could help with ID for ya, but when if you acquire that's all part of the fun :D

Back