Cruwear PM2

My cruwear pm2 has been silky smooth since it came in the mail.. BUT i just took off the belt clip so i could carry tip up and now its the stiffest knife i ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My cruwear pm2 has been silky smooth since it came in the mail.. BUT i just took off the belt clip so i could carry tip up and now its the stiffest knife i ever had.

So you removed the clip altogether or you just moved it to a tip up position?

You probably cranked down too much on the clip screws.

I took off clip and had not yet installed on new side because I wanted to feel the handle without clip. Knife was scary tight, i then installed clip at new position and knife was still very tight. I didnt want to mess with the pivot on a new knife so then i switched back to tip down and was back to silky smooth...

It sounds to me like there may be a minor issue with the liner on the clip side near the pivot area. It could be that the liner is ever so slightly bowed/bent near the pivot and that is causing undue pressure making it hard to open when the screws and clip are absent, but when the clip screws engage the liner and hold the clip in place, that causes the liner to flex enough to relieve the pressure and make opening the knife smooth again. Just my theory.

As I see it, I don't think the issue is a big one at all and it can be remedied. Two immediate choices present themselves. Send it back to Spyderco and have them replace/fix it under warranty. Simple, fairly quick and almost painless. The other option is to add a drop of mineral oil to the pivot and work the blade back and forth and see if it "breaks in" after a few hundred openings and closings. Just play with the knife a little while you're watching a game or something. That is all it may actually need. You could go with option 1 if that does not work.

What I would NOT do is take anything apart and try to remedy it yourself as doing so would void the warranty. It's not that it's overly complex, but given that it's brand new and came that way, the warranty option is just too easy to do.

It sounds to me like there may be a minor issue with the liner on the clip side near the pivot area. It could be that the liner is ever so slightly bowed/bent near the pivot and that is causing undue pressure making it hard to open when the screws and clip are absent, but when the clip screws engage the liner and hold the clip in place, that causes the liner to flex enough to relieve the pressure and make opening the knife smooth again. Just my theory.

As I see it, I don't think the issue is a big one at all and it can be remedied. Two immediate choices present themselves. Send it back to Spyderco and have them replace/fix it under warranty. Simple, fairly quick and almost painless. The other option is to add a drop of mineral oil to the pivot and work the blade back and forth and see if it "breaks in" after a few hundred openings and closings. Just play with the knife a little while you're watching a game or something. That is all it may actually need. You could go with option 1 if that does not work.

What I would NOT do is take anything apart and try to remedy it yourself as doing so would void the warranty. It's not that it's overly complex, but given that it's brand new and came that way, the warranty option is just too easy to do.

This could be your problem. But you could try putting the clip back to it original location and see if it smooths out again, as a process of elimination. If it is smooth with the clip back then it might just be this liner issue. Could it maybe be that some loctite from the clip screws fell into the pivot when you removed the clip?

Thanks On The Edge, I agree with you about the liner. Has anyone else had this problem just by taking off clip? Since i have this issue with this knife i decided not to edc it and packed it back up in the box. I have had bad luck with the few spydercos i have bought. I am going to try one more time and order an Endura this weekend.

Thanks On The Edge, I agree with you about the liner. Has anyone else had this problem just by taking off clip? Since i have this issue with this knife i decided not to edc it and packed it back up in the box. I have had bad luck with the few spydercos i have bought. I am going to try one more time and order an Endura this weekend.

I'd send it in to Spyderco W&R and give them the opportunity to correct the problem.

This has happened to me on more than one PM2. I assume the issue is a slightly bowed/bent liner. Fortunately I prefer tip down carry, so it was kind of a moot point for me.

Also what about a small burr on the edge of the clip screw hole on liner. I had to sand it down and i was all good

nxRM9fx.jpg

XpwN8LU.jpg

BUjnOJw.jpg

New cruwear versus old s110v

Build quality wise the cruwear knife is perfect in every way. The s110v is slightly off centered and took a while to break in whereas the cruwear already drops freely. The s110v has been used pretty hard so it will get a break now.

What clip is that on the Cruwear? It almost looks like a Lynch, but not exactly...

It's some random one I got from eBay, I'm actually pretty happy with the clip, the finish is darker and nicer than it looked like in the eBay ad. The one on the blue knife is an anodized lynch clip.

I shoulda grabbed one of these. That Grey looks nice. Have never used Cruwear. Guess i'll wait for a Grey Maxamet.

Got mine last week. Some initial thoughts:

Excellent fit-and-finish. Bank vault lockup out of the box. Blade was titled ever so slightly to the clip side, so while at work today, I used a soldering iron to heat up the backspacer and stop pin (to loosen the red Loctite or equivalent that Spyderco uses) to get the screws loose. Loosened pivot, inserted a piece of cardboard, tightened all the screws from backwards-to-forwards, and now it's dead-on. My CF/M4 Paramilitary was smoother out of the box, but the blade doesn't free drop on its own like the CRUWEAR does. After a couple drops of Tuf Glide and a handful of cycles, it smoothed up nicely and should break in just fine.

The most important part of any knife, the edge, is beyond scary sharp. Based on the rope-cutting video that was posted on the forum, this shouldn't need to be touched up (except for an occasional stropping) for quite a long time.

The color of the gray G-10 is far-and-beyond a better shade than previous CRUWEAR runs. I hope to see more of it!

Very impressed. :thumbup:

Got one on the way!

Arrived today. Fit and finish is excellent, although the action is pretty stiff. Gonna leave it in NIB condition for a bit since the M390 just got here too, but the blade on the CRUWEAR might be the sharpest I've ever seen a knife come from a factory.

I use froglube. Also i have been usimg it for 3 weeks , cardboard boxes everyday , i have only needed to strop on leather strop woth 1.5 micron cbn and i can bring it back to hair whittiling in 1 or 2 min flat. No stones yet. Im really liking this steel. Not had any rolls or chips at all.

Back