Cult of the peanut , members

Looks great! You could try to refine the tip, or just use it and it should get there after a few sharpenings. :thumbup:

"We don't need no stinking sharpening notches" :D I had to go look at mine, and I did the same thing. I don't like when material gets snagged in a notch, anyway so I'll pretend it was on purpose. ;)

Yeah I figured it would sort of blend in pretty quickly with a couple sharpenings.
And I fully agree about notches being a nuisance. I know they help the blade wear evenly which I like, but I can't stand when I'm in mid cut only to have the material hang up.
It's almost a must have when buying a fixed blade.

My peanuts seem to be multiplying. :D

EAC44978-6CA4-4E48-A465-85424587DA49_zpsjxcjixxt.jpg

In my defense, the three yellow 'uns were bought in various states of "used" mostly for me to play around with fixing up. The two CVs had rust and some pitting, and the small blade of the SS one had a tip that had been broken/rounded off and didn't drop below the scales when closed.

I'm curious about the yellow one that has bolsters that look more square or less rounded than the others. Is that something specific to certain years? I tried googling to see if I could find other examples with bolsters like that but with no success.

From left to right/top to bottom, these were manufactured in 2003, 2005 and 2013 if I interpreted the tang stamps correctly. The middle one is the one with the more square bolsters.

FE1C830F-8ECD-427A-9D48-E6CC9DDCFB62_zps7yyttruo.jpg

Easier to see in these photos, maybe.

32CC437A-2F05-4C68-9D46-2C84A8AB5AA7_zpsgznqi3sf.jpg

4C241A19-84D3-49FD-8A9A-56C540CD5D6A_zpsjsjfssqc.jpg

Last edited:
My peanuts seem to be multiplying. :D

EAC44978-6CA4-4E48-A465-85424587DA49_zpsjxcjixxt.jpg

In my defense, the three yellow 'uns were bought in various states of "used" mostly for me to play around with fixing up. The two CVs had rust and some pitting, and the small blade of the SS one had a tip that had been broken/rounded off and didn't drop below the scales when closed.

I'm curious about the yellow one that has bolsters that look more square or less rounded than the others. Is that something specific to certain years? I tried googling to see if I could find other examples with bolsters like that but with no success.

From left to right/top to bottom, these were manufactured in 2003, 2005 and 2013 if I interpreted the tang stamps correctly. The middle one is the one with the more square bolsters.

FE1C830F-8ECD-427A-9D48-E6CC9DDCFB62_zps7yyttruo.jpg

Easier to see in these photos, maybe.

32CC437A-2F05-4C68-9D46-2C84A8AB5AA7_zpsgznqi3sf.jpg

4C241A19-84D3-49FD-8A9A-56C540CD5D6A_zpsjsjfssqc.jpg

Very nice, AlwaysTomboy! I only have one yellow peanut in ss, so clearly I need at least one more in cv!

Alex

Whoever was polishing the day that was made got a little lazy?:confused:
Human error seems perfectly plausible to me. Lord knows I've made my share of careless errors at work from time to time. Now that I know Ol' Square Ends is an odd ball, I kinda want to keep him. :)

Very nice, AlwaysTomboy! I only have one yellow peanut in ss, so clearly I need at least one more in cv!

Alex

Thank you. & Yesyes, you do need a CV one! Everyone needs at least two Peanuts; one in SS and one in CV. *nods* :D

(If there's any chance I can talk you into taking one of mine, by all means let me know. They're cute and super useful little buggers, but I really don't need three of 'em. :eek:)

In my experience, I have noticed that the bolsters on Peanuts got fatter over the years. Examples I have from 1960-70s are even more thin/tapered than yours.

In my experience, I have noticed that the bolsters on Peanuts got fatter over the years. Examples I have from 1960-70s are even more thin/tapered than yours.

I posted comparison photos of 70s vs New peanuts back on page 1111 post 2218 ( of this thread). They show how the little knives have gained some weight over the years (haven't we all).

So had some friends and family in town last weekend and went to eat some bbq. used my peanut to cut my $28 beef rib into sections so everyone could try some. I didn't need it for anything else, everything was tender and juicy. :thumbup:

hriZDj0.jpg

Have a great day everyone!

Tony

I posted comparison photos of 70s vs New peanuts back on page 1111 post 2218 ( of this thread). They show how the little knives have gained some weight over the years (haven't we all).

Thanks, I was hoping I wouldn't have to take pictures of mine. The cutout for better access to the pen blade was a nice feature of the old knives also.

Thank you both for the info and directions to the photos. The Evolution of the Peanut 101. Cool stuff. :)

Again appreciate the welcome. This week I did get my first Peanut, and also a Buck Toothpick. Really cool knives. I don't know if okay to post a photo of a Toothpick here, so will defer for now. Do have some shots of my new Peanut below. I got mine dressed in yellow delrin handles.....probably my favorite color, although the pearl is great-looking, too. One interesting thing I noticed is that the Peanut blades are very sharp, much sharper than the Toothpick. I have one other Case knife, a Mini-Trapper, and it also has screaming-sharp blades. I almost cut myself the first time I handled that knife. All-in-all, with this yellow Peanut in my collection, I am glad to join the "cult of the Peanut." Thanks for the encouragement on these knives!

I'm pretty certain my next Peanut will be with pearl handles. Saw one in a Cabelas display case last visit there....very sharp-looking Peanut! But our Cabelas always brings along cadillac-level price tags, so will do a little more hunting for the pearl. That gem will be fun to have. Here is #1 for my collection start.

Hi! Welcome! Peanuts are awesome knives. They are a particular knife pattern. Your new toothpick is its own pattern. Trappers and stockman knives are also patterns. Peanuts can be made from different materials, but most of them are recognizable in that they are quite small and have two blades in a jackknife configuration. All of my peanuts have a clip blade and a pen blade. Case makes a good peanut, but you'll see peanuts made by different companies, not just Case. I highly recommend getting a peanut and joining the Cult! [emoji4]

Alex

Your welcome. The peanut is a small knife but very capable. It takes some getting used to it but it makes a great companion. Its my main carry knife.

Sent from my E6782L using Tapatalk

Again appreciate the welcome. This week I did get my first Peanut, and also a Buck Toothpick. Really cool knives. I don't know if okay to post a photo of a Toothpick here, so will defer for now. Do have some shots of my new Peanut below. I got mine dressed in yellow delrin handles.....probably my favorite color, although the pearl is great-looking, too. One interesting thing I noticed is that the Peanut blades are very sharp, much sharper than the Toothpick. I have one other Case knife, a Mini-Trapper, and it also has screaming-sharp blades. I almost cut myself the first time I handled that knife. All-in-all, with this yellow Peanut in my collection, I am glad to join the "cult of the Peanut." Thanks for the encouragement on these knives!

I'm pretty certain my next Peanut will be with pearl handles. Saw one in a Cabelas display case last visit there....very sharp-looking Peanut! But our Cabelas always brings along cadillac-level price tags, so will do a little more hunting for the pearl. That gem will be fun to have. Here is #1 for my collection start.

Very nice. I hope you enjoy.

Here are my four current Case peanuts: my original chestnut scales in Tru-Sharp, my Case Collectors Club, my W.R. Case, and my Delrin in CV given to me by my nephew. These are so tiny but I love carrying them in my shirt pocket, just in case.

Peanuts.jpg

Thanks a lot, TrapperMike. Already have been enjoying this little guy, and planning to add more Peanuts to my knife case.
I also found it interesting that you use yours for your "main carry knife." That warrants some consideration; sure is most easy to carry!

Very nice. I hope you enjoy.

Thanks a lot, TrapperMike. Already have been enjoying this little guy, and planning to add more Peanuts to my knife case.
I also found it interesting that you use yours for your "main carry knife." That warrants some consideration; sure is most easy to carry!
It has worked well for me. I haven't found anything it can't handle. There are some things I cut a larger knife would work better but the peanut has still got those tasks done. It does very well for most tasks. I have found that is all I need. Some folks like a bigger knife and thats cool. Hope yours serves you as well as mine has. [emoji4]

It has worked well for me. I haven't found anything it can't handle. There are some things I cut a larger knife would work better but the peanut has still got those tasks done. It does very well for most tasks. I have found that is all I need. Some folks like a bigger knife and thats cool. Hope yours serves you as well as mine has. [emoji4]

That was my experience as well. The peanut handles mod things, and sometimes a larger knife would be a bit better, but not that much better that the peanut couldn't do the job if you were careful.

I used to wonder about all those older guys I saw with a little pen or jackknife. I used to wonder why are they carrying such a small knife? Why didn't they crry a bigger knife?

Because they didn't have to.

After a lifetime of experience both outdoors and in, they knew where to cut, how to cut, and most importantly, how much tool they needed to do the cutting. Why burden yourself with more than you need to carry? A peanut, or peanut class of knife will do most anything the average suburb or urban dweller needs in a day to day life. Heck, look how many people world wide get by very well with a Victorinox classic on a keychain. I've done it myself on occasion and cut what I needed to cut with it. Moving up to a peanut or similar size knife is gravy on the taters.

I just repurchased a CV peanut in Chestnut.

And, it's going back. The tip of the clip blade sits proud and stick out enough to snag a pocket or finger. Damn shame, because the bone on this one is beautiful, the snap is excellent, and there's zero wobble. Oh well...

Back