Deals for 2/13 -- Pix villager and good buys

I hope there are no truly hard feelings. I remember times when I felt seriously annoyed. Would you believe that after all these years I still don't own a M43? Back when they were THE hot item I could never bid fast enough, or lacked the funds when I could. Then when the market cooled down,I'd already moved onto other styles and trends. So, someday of course I'll get one.

This is all good clean fun, and a matter of fair trade and trust between HI and the forumites who believe in her. Forumites score good deals, HI gets revenue generated- though obviously not as lucrative as on the web page.
I would hate to see this neat thing ruined by acrimoney.

I've seen many times when a shark would actually bow to another and let him have it,or a behind the scenes exchange takes place.

And remember- these blades will come again. She hasn't even opened the other two boxes yet. And after these will come more.

We got a new Kami and Kumar survived. We got Yangdu at the helm and she listens. It's all OK and take a breath and be happy.

munk

Heck yeah, Norm! Mike stole that trisul right out from under me:D No hard feelings there. I'm glad he got it. I'll get the next one. Oh course I might have to google a few baby animal pics and post a thread in the Cantina called, "Look what baby animals Mike drags behing his boat at full throtle":D
It's all in fun. I missed the trisul, got a siru in a size i didn't have by a brand spankin new kami. Nepal gets some money, I get a knife, and my wife gets to scowl at me for a day when it gets here;) After I get my taxes back, unless the falcatias show up, i plan on getting a knife or two from the website. Yangdu takes care of us. A lot more than she has to. She could do 1/2 of what she's been doing and probably not lose a customer. I think when the financial means are there one should buy a knife a full price from time to time. It's fair. We certainly shouldn't complain about the taste when we've been thrown a bone.

Good sharkin today, gentlemen. Until next time:)

Jake

I got my biggest SGT Khadka...so far...and my second three-hole cho...and the big trisul. I have another trisul that size (well, a half inch smaller) and while I don't have an actual use for it, it's a very fun knife. :eek:

On the misses thing, I doubt anyone could be more upset about a missing a khukuri than I was when I missed that beautiful 30" neem-handled sirupati. It stings (or in that case hurts), then you just put it behind you. It's kind of like a girl you didn't sleep with when you had the chance because you were seeing someone else that you've since split up with though. You look back with regret and wonder... :(

soupah said:
To the fastest typists in the west...

Wow, I waited 3 minutes after the DOTD appeared to email Yangdu and I still missed the Sgt. Khada:grumpy: I've just not had any luck lately after I got my first khukri in Dec... how do you guys do it so fast? Teach me!

how? well, you already had a form letter and have fast net (read ahead i did), so... don't wait 3 minutes. POUNCE. the instant it's posted you must cut, paste, and send, because there's 900 other guys and gals doing that :>

at least it's not viscious here like it is on other forums where people send fake "go" posts, adverts, distractions, and noise to get their version of the deal of the week/month.

and if you miss, wait... the deals keep coming, people from here will often put stuff up in the b/s/t areas, you can make special requests to yangdu, or in the "wanted" area, and sometimes, just sometimes, you can write a member for their extra ;) sometimes they'll write you. lots of ways. patience young padawan.

:>

[i'll note that i'm on enforced budget again, and didn't shark at all the last many chances :> more for you!]

bladite

Cabbit, just wanted to let you know that if you can't seem to get something through the DOTD forum, you can always email Yangdu and ask to buy something direct (I wouldn't use any foul language, though :( ) I wanted a Pen Knife, and by gum, since I keep missing out on the deals I just went ahead and bought a Pen Knife today!

Yippie!

You only cry once...and I was just fixating on that khukiri. Now I'm satisfied like I am after the first sip of morning coffee from my favorite cafe.

(funny, when I first "discovered" this place last fall, I wouldn't have spared a Pen Knife a glance. Funny how your taste evolves/matures to include things you never thought you'd lust after)

If you already have 5 of the same model, at least wait a little bit before pouncing on the Deals of the day.

soupah said:
(funny, when I first "discovered" this place last fall, I wouldn't have spared a Pen Knife a glance. Funny how your taste evolves/matures to include things you never thought you'd lust after)

I hear that! Said I would never need a Cherokee Rose, or a Kobra, or a Sarge, or a Chainpuri, or a Manjushree, or a Foxy Folly, or a Kerambit.... but guess what, I have all those now and love 'em.

And Cabbit, when you posted there were still at least two very nice items available. Maybe not your cup of tea now, but...

Set your sights lower. :) (Joking!)

Eric.

soupah said:
Cabbit, just wanted to let you know that if you can't seem to get something through the DOTD forum, you can always email Yangdu and ask to buy something direct (I wouldn't use any foul language, though :( ) I wanted a Pen Knife, and by gum, since I keep missing out on the deals I just went ahead and bought a Pen Knife today!

Yippie!

You only cry once...and I was just fixating on that khukiri. Now I'm satisfied like I am after the first sip of morning coffee from my favorite cafe.

I went through the same thing with the Pen... I wasn't terribly fond of it until I saw it as a horn handled villager. I kept missing those in the DOTD and sent mail to Yangdu looking for a horn villager, then a wood villager, then a horn standard and finally bit the bullet on a plain wood handle standard... And it came paper slicing sharp and stayed paper slicing sharp after chopping through a 2 1/2" branch...and then chopping through both halves...and then the quarters...

EDIT - charp?!?

Hey Cabbit;

Please read post #21 !!

Life's going on and we're going to do this right. I've recieved a few complaints about your earlier post. It's worth considering the reason behind them.

Take care all,

munk

Stay Tuned.

Is what Bill used to say, and Yangdu is considering a Swing Shift DOD tonight.

munk

If my language offends you, grow thicker skin or join the Taleban. :rolleyes:

I've purchased outside of DOTD but have always wound up passing them on to other people as gifts because I'm picky about the Asthetics of what I like and have very small hands.

Due to the variance in the HI product, if I can't see it ahead of time purchasing something blind has always resulted in something incompatible with me.

You have the right to say what you want, I have the right to comment back. taliban, indeed. :rolleyes:
--Dave

Ouch. Getting nasty around here. Let's remember we're not saving hundreds of dollars on these deals here. Just a few bucks here and there. It's not that bad buying full-price.:thumbup:

I'm not offended Cabbit- you're on your own path. You're notified- use of some language around here is not tolerated on a repeated and repeated basis. It's not that big a deal and it's over now.

munk

SASSAS said:
I got my biggest SGT Khadka...so far...and my second three-hole cho...and the big trisul. I have another trisul that size (well, a half inch smaller) and while I don't have an actual use for it, it's a very fun knife. :eek:

On the misses thing, I doubt anyone could be more upset about a missing a khukuri than I was when I missed that beautiful 30" neem-handled sirupati. It stings (or in that case hurts), then you just put it behind you. It's kind of like a girl you didn't sleep with when you had the chance because you were seeing someone else that you've since split up with though. You look back with regret and wonder... :(

I think it all works out one way or another. Everyone has scored something someone else would want. For instance Medbill is obviously infected with a serious dose of HIKV and has been very irritatingly sharking some nice knives lately. Well, good for him! (Although I want _my_ 18" Antler BDC! :D )

Sassas has cleaned more deals than many; his avatar is well chosen: there have been two 3-pinned handled M43's and he has them both in rare 20" models. The first 2 pinned chandan Berk's specials went to him, and there has only been 4 of them. There have been 2 big Trisuls and he has them both. Three with 3-hole chos and he has two of them. (But who's checking?! <G>)

And I have the 30" Neem handle Siru. :D

Searching back to that ultimate great reference on the human condition, "Star Trek," I think it was Mr. Spock in "Amok Time" who said, "Having something is often not as pleasurable as wanting it," or something to that affect. "It is not logical, but it is the truth." I think Mr. Spock was on to something very profound there.

I groan sometimes when I see the knives I've missed, but then I need to put things in perspective. I have some damned fine knives, and as many non-HI folders and fixed blades and other assorted sharp things as HI. More to keep from rusting. In a couple of decades I'll be dust and my knives will belong to someone else; I'm just the temporary caretaker.

Just give me an 18" Antler BDC, and a 15" pen, and a Sher Attitude, and a Munk Cleaver and I'll be happy. For now...:cool: ;) :D

Norm

I think there is great probability of a swing shift sale.

(( Here is one of those thoughts above the page...transposed...it doesn't exactly exist... I might deny it and say you guys are seeing things in my head... for ..it doesn't have enough 'depth' to it to justify the molecules of energy on the screen.. 3 years ago when I was trying to get an M43, I distinctly remember thinking G D you guys; can't you even let a normal guy, a non collector millionare or hock the stereo sorry to the wife guy get one stinking blade???? I didn't say it because it was too dumb, I've billions other thoughts inside of more interest, and the petty cranky not very flattering energy I'd wasted already in even thinking it was it's own reward and consequence in me. Reading of the New Testament, or meditating and studying the Eastern religions and philosophys has on Page One the premise that our heads are already full up to brim with counter productive, meaningless reactions and thoughts.))))

I haven't said anything and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

munk

soupah said:
Ouch. Getting nasty around here. Let's remember we're not saving hundreds of dollars on these deals here. Just a few bucks here and there. It's not that bad buying full-price.:thumbup:

Well said Soupah, but most of these are not available on the HI site. Cabbit is irritated because there is not a more efficient or even-handed way of distributing these few unique deals "fairly." Understandable, but he is asking the impossible. There is no way short of having everyone supply their inventory and having an impartial panel of judges decide who gets the opportunity to buy what knife to parcel them out that way. It is a life reality.

It's the oldest distribution system in the world, first come, first served. The solution to his dilemma is simple: be first. Then after being first, don't dawdle evaluating the knives, be ready to send email first and evaluate in depth later, and don't worry about the price. I can guarantee you that Sassas and Medbill and others have not spent long minutes evaluating and comparing the knives; they jump.

The folks sharking knives lately have not done anything wrong, and it is irrelevant if they have 15 of the exact same model sitting around at home. It is enough that they wanted it and had the bread and were willing to commit to Yangdu for it, FIRST.

There is absolutely nothing preventing anyone from ponying up the cost of the DOTD + about 15% for her time and trouble (my add, not HI policy) and sending the $ to Yangdu and saying "You know that such and such on 2/13, well I would really like one as well. It sold for $85, would $100 be enough and could you get me one just like it?"

I speak as one who has been really upset at missing a great knife, and as one who has scored. I have people on this forum who were once friendly when I was starting out 2 years ago, who now have zero interaction with me because they think I have bought more "than my fair share." :grumpy: (Grumpy icon substitued as there isn't one for "temper tantrum.") I have committed the ultimate transgression to those folks: I have more knives than they do.

Bottom line, I'm not going to worry about it, and the system works for me. He who jumps first wins. There is no other way to do it. Venting about it and cursing folks is human nature, but it won't change the system.

Norm

Back