Deals for 2/13 -- Pix villager and good buys

Cabbit,

I don't think it needs to be this way. That said, I thought it might wind up here:(

I think your feelings would have been taken into consideration alot more readily if you hadn't come out with guns blazing from the get go.

[That is not at all what Uncle Bill was about./QUOTE]

I'm trying to imagine how he'd handle this but you know I couldn't always predict it when he was here. he'd be the first to tell you that he didn't always do everything perfectly--in fact he'd be upset if we made him infallible now that he's gone.

We don't do everything perfectly either Cabbit, and we don't expect that of anybody.

aproy1101 said:
OK as a newb I have gotten in on my share of DOTD. I can't believe we would heap more work and responsibility on Yangdu so it would be easier for some picky profane whiner to get a "good deal."

Here is a newsflash.....All HI products are GREAT DEALS.

A major problem in our society is the heaping on of rules and beaurocracy so that the WEAKEST among us can get his "fair share." Additionally, why would one guys low rent profanity be the catalyst for change here. Why should any of our esteemed collectors feel guilty because of some tantrum?
I'm a NEW GUY, and have been watching the DOD not to get a deal but to see what's available and not shown on the web site. These knives are all great deals, when I see something I like and it's sold (they have all been sold so far) I email Yangdu and ask if I can purchase one and she lets me know when it is in and how much it costs, tells me it's in the mail and I send her money. It's not all that difficult, really.
Want a reality check? Try and get a Randall on special!

Cabbit said:
So what you folks are saying is that we're supposed to be impolite and cutthroat to each other?

That is not at all what Uncle Bill was about.

Look, Cabbit, no one said to be mean to one another. All we're saying is that at the end of the day whether you pay 150 bucks for a knife or 85 you have still walked away with a great deal. Now if you aren't first in line, that's too bad. No one is fighting it out about lost DOTDs...well except for you. Like I said, I wanted the Trisul. I shipped out my email, and didn't get it. Mike did. He sent me a very nice PM and said he was sorry. It wasn't a big deal at all. Mike is my friend I hope the Trisul serves him well. He has more khuks than I do, and i'm glad he got it:D First come. First serve. It is not cut throat or unfair. The only excuses can be made by those have an excuse of why they were not online to shark the deals. Yangdu usually puts up 7 or 8 blades. I have yet to see ONE person snap all of them up in one chop. It even says right in every DOTD, "email to get any or all".
Secondly, i find that making strawman arguments and slapping Uncle Bill's name on them is rather disrespectful. You'll find that many of us that have been politly telling you WHY putting a limit will not work knew Uncle Bill a little better and what he was "all about". When you get down to it, I'm pretty sure Uncle Bill's goal was not to cater to whines of people that are getting the chance of saving 20-60%. He just wanted to sell his khuks and get the money to the people who need it. DOTDs are not our right. Yangdu could stop them today, and we would owe her a very polite and heartfelt "thank you". They are simply a way to thank US for being good loyal customers. The amount of profit she makes on these deals is tiny. Griping and moaning does not make her job any easier.
I can't put it any more plainly or nicely. I do wish you the best of luck on today's deals. may the best shark win.

Jake

sogguy said:
I'm a NEW GUY, and have been watching the DOD not to get a deal but to see what's available and not shown on the web site. These knives are all great deals, when I see something I like and it's sold (they have all been sold so far) I email Yangdu and ask if I can purchase one and she lets me know when it is in and how much it costs, tells me it's in the mail and I send her money. It's not all that difficult, really.
Want a reality check? Try and get a Randall on special!

Damned right! Take the worst Busse fanatic you have ever seen and multiply it by 3 and you are about where the Randall guys start. I have dealt for 3 Randalls in my time and barely came out alive. :eek: ;)

HI is completely laid back in comparison.

Norm

Cabbit said:
There's a difference between venting one's frustration and actually encouraging it.

You all have turned into a bunch of hypocrites.

I'm out, I'm gone.
Cabbit, this has always been a pretty libertarian-like hangout. Individual responsibility, individual choices. The DOTD process is a gift to us, taken by most with a whack of good humour. It's not, frankly, intended to be a major selling-location for HI. It's a place to sell one-offs, sometimes "seconds", and to move merchandise that's been perhaps a bit over-produced. And the folks you've called "hypocrites," while addicted to sharp steel, are generous indeed ... though fierce competitors.

I'm sorry that your hand size and your aesthetic senss means that you've had bad experiences with buying straight from the HI website. Frankly, you're in the minority, and the hand-size thing I'm sure could be addressed if Yangdu was made aware. There's no accounting for tastes (e.g., I'm not wild for trisuls, kerambits, or Gelbus).

Consider, though, that while you're purchasing a very high quality tool, it is essentially a 3rd world product. It will outlast you, but perhaps won't have the enormous attention to fit/finish detail that a custom North American knifemaker would give. You're not paying what that knifemaker would charge either. If you want a superlative re-handling, or need the fullers of a Dui Chirra to be distortion-free and mirror-reflective, there are those who will take on your HI knife as a project. And you'll pay full price.

Personally, I prefer slight imperfections in the things I own. They show that the item was indeed handmade, and don't make me reluctant to actually use the thing. If a handle's too big, I make it mine by taking it down exactly to my own hand size. I prefer this; it's like getting a custom-made suit. So our aesthetic differs.

Leave if you must, but frankly the person you'll hurt most is yourself.

Tom.

Steely_Gunz said:
It wasn't a big deal at all. Mike is my friend I hope the Trisul serves him well. He has more khuks than I do, and i'm glad he got it:D First come. First serve. It is not cut throat or unfair. The only excuses can be made by those have an excuse of why they were not online to shark the deals....Griping and moaning does not make her job any easier.
I can't put it any more plainly or nicely. I do wish you the best of luck on today's deals. may the best shark win.

Jake
Many thanks, Jake. You are a bud.

The Law of the Jungle brooks no apologies or excuses. Complaints are usually treated with a deaf ear by Nature.

Competition is healthy, and brings out the best in us.

Capatalism is founded on that.

May the best man win, and to the victors go the spoils.

And when I miss or fail, may it be with grace and good sportsmanship, as is the rule here, not the exception.

Mike
Ad Astra

Svashtar said:
Damned right! Take the worst Busse fanatic you have ever seen and multiply it by 3 and you are about where the Randall guys start. I have dealt for 3 Randalls in my time and barely came out alive. :eek: ;)

HI is completely laid back in comparison.

Norm

i know that cabbit, and a bunch of other folx here hang out in the bussee forums...

it's considered part of the game, hell, good form, to have fake ids, and attempt to haze and fool newbies and even the old timers into NOT getting knife there. INFI fever and all that.

i also note that some of that INFI fever seems to involve folx buying not 1 or 2 but as many as they can snag in one get go. sure, some are just the front man for 6 other guys who aren't fast enough, or interested. some are buying to resell later for some profit to afford their expensive blades and habits.

honestly, i don't see a lot of that here. MOST folx, even for rare items, sell for about what they paid for it. if they're really nice, they even trade even. and yangdu is REALLY nice and has even warranteed the odd item out from such a transaction for the pathetic newbie (like myself; thank you very much yangdu, it was appreciated). i don't see that kind of service ANYWHERE really, esp for what amounts to "one off customs" as well. that rocks.

we call ourself sharks. others call themselves pigs, hogs, boars, rats, ... you get the idea. i'll never get a bussee unless it's second hand. those buying frenzies are NUTS.

compared to that? we're totally mellow.

bladite

We've got some- hell, a lot of good folks here.

The type of people who'll pray for you, and sometimes, do a lot more (can there
be more?) to help someone in need, or who they just feel needs encouraging. We care about folks here, or at least those who don't go out of their way to be an ass. Even those we may still care about, but everyone has to save themselves, ultimately. If someone's not ready to have their eyes opened, the truth falls on deaf ears.

Stay or go. I hope you're happy either way; just don't imagine it's something unfair we've done that's prompted you, if you hit the figurative road.

Regards,

John

I've been watching this thread for the last day and all I can say is Wow! What a rukus! The recent DOTD aren't even going that fast. I remember a few years back posting "coulda had it" if I was the first response in the thread. :) Back then, there was no point in trying to get a Durba when the duck was online ....

If you want something in particular 2nd or one of a kind, call or email first, or get online for the hour when the deals usually come up. Worst comes to worst, just hang around for a few weeks - you'll find something.

Pat

I have a hard time getting the idea that it is hard for a new guy to get things... As the "new guy" I started off with:

20 inch 37 ounce Chiruwa horn handle WWII by Sher with all usual Sher features. Perfect rig for $145 YBB++*SOLD*

15 inch 19 ounce Ang Khola by Kumar. Fit and finish perfect with beautiful caving on excellent horn handle. Bargain @95. YBB+ *SOLD*

16.5 inch 23 ounce chiruwa horn handle Villager WWII by Bura. Extra sharp blade. $75 YBB. *SOLD*

20 inch 33 ounce Superb M43 by master Kami Bura. Perfect Rig. Your's for today $175 ***** *SOLD*

I can't see where being the new guy beat me up terribly much. I was done after the third one...I had exactly what I was looking for...until I saw that M43, which is the prettiest khukuri I've seen listed.

On the expressing being distraught thing, in two other posts in other forums, similar feelings were expressed, but softened with a smiley... If the same had been done here, things probably wouldn't have escalated. Also, maybe I missed it, but I ran back through the thread and I still don't see exactly what khukuri was missed that started all this...:confused:

They are just things.

There will always be more, other, things.

If you got your health (more or less), people who care for you, and people for whom you care...everything else is just "stuff."

Your choice, always.

Did I hear someone throw down their toys and storm out of the room?

You know I hear it in every forum where limited items are sold. Its the same crying that goes on when someone doesn't get what they want.

To prove a point I offered a very desirable knife no longer made, very limited number for TRADE + or - cash on either end for another knife from the same company that is also no longer made. Guess what only two offers and neither were anything nearly as rare or desirable. So all these guys crying about brotherhood and helping each other out failed to rise to the occasion and put their blades where their mouths are so to speak. I know I can sell my safe queen for double its price in a few months but I offered it for an at cost trade and got 2 replies. So please spare me and go break some old furniture or something, get over it and come back for tomorrows deals. We can't take em with us when we go!

Billy

Back