DEK1

I look forward to seeing how he translates your handmade prototype into one of his precision production hard working tools.

me too!
I've only made a handful of knives, maybe 6-8, and I learn a lot each time I do it since the learning curve is so steep. This was a transitional project, where I started using new kinds of tools that make it faster. The thing I learned most is the value of a trued platen, and that I need an oven and all the other stuff required for heat treatment. I'll be leveling a patch of our lawn this weekend so that I can build a little 100 square foot shop I've designed. hope to have that done within the year so I can really start getting my freak on

me too!
I've only made a handful of knives, maybe 6-8, and I learn a lot each time I do it since the learning curve is so steep. This was a transitional project, where I started using new kinds of tools that make it faster. The thing I learned most is the value of a trued platen, and that I need an oven and all the other stuff required for heat treatment. I'll be leveling a patch of our lawn this weekend so that I can build a little 100 square foot shop I've designed. hope to have that done within the year so I can really start getting my freak on

I think your new workshop should be christened "Lorien Design SkunkWorks", since it will be ground zero of super powered, bitchin' ass knife designs!!! ;) -- :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think your new workshop should be christened "Lorien Design JunkWorks", since it will be ground zero of super powered, eerily comfortable knife designs!!! ;) -- :thumbsup::thumbsup:

fyp

----

Last edited:
I don’t see the benefits frim a lanyard hole at the bottom of the handle...

it's not for a lanyard, or for tying the knife to your wrist in any way

nice thing about this feature is that if it's not useful to you, you can forget it's there. Kind of kicking myself for not tying it up to show peeps what it's about. Guess we'll have to wait for the proto...

nice thing about this feature is that if it's not useful to you, you can forget it's there. Kind of kicking myself for not tying it up to show peeps what it's about. Guess we'll have to wait for the proto...

Now I’m super curious about that mystery feature lol

well, she's enroute and I'll be on edge until she's in Nate's beer loving hands. But...what a relief! This knife has spent a long time under development. I pulled out all the stops and pushed myself further than any previous efforts. To be honest with you all, I never want to see this knife again- so many flaws, so imperfect. This is where Nate's magic and skill turns poop into diamonds! And this time, he has a more or less real knife to work from which hopefully makes his life easier and speeds things up a tiny bit

I am so excited to see what the crew are able to do with DEK1. This is going to be a super rad knife that I think many people will find useful and reassuring to carry in almost any setting

that being said, I am working hard to forget about this knife so that I can start on the next pattern...

Can you tell us what it's about or must we wait for the proto?

Edit: grammar/spelling. Phones these days

ok, I will;

that feature is a fob dock.

Whether you like tritium and titanium dangler thingies, a paracord monkey fist, a bronze steampunk object or a simple leather fob, you can increase your retention of the handle by adding one here.

In the standard sabre grip, the fob is held between your pinky and judo finger, giving leverage against pushing and pulling cuts. In an ice pick grip, the fob is held between your index and middle finger, anchoring the handle into your hand no matter how hard you have to stab into something.

In short, the fob dock helps do part of the job of a full guard, minimizing the need for a guard, thereby enabling a broader scope of utility that a full guard always limits. Because you can choose to use or not to use a fob, you end up with more versatility at very little cost.

The fob dock allows you to adjust the balance of your knife to your preference by adding weight toward the back of the handle. You can add a lot of weight if you'll be using DEK1 for hunting, less for defensive use and less still for everyday use. Or not at all, if you prefer.

A fob dock here also acts as a pull, which adds a level of insurance. You'll definitely be able to extract your knife from its sheath in a stressful situation. When faced with a flight or fight response, a person needs all the help they can get in order to overcome the symptoms and get a weapon in their hand quickly and dependably.

Any update on the DEK1 rollout?...spent a couple hours last night going back and forth through the FK2 and DEK1 threads to decide between the two-- much prefer this design and just wondering how long I will have to distract myself 8)

Any update on the DEK1 rollout?...spent a couple hours last night going back and forth through the FK2 and DEK1 threads to decide between the two-- much prefer this design and just wondering how long I will have to distract myself 8)

I'm currently reworking and refining the handle design. It's pretty much complete, just got a little more work to do and then it's off to NC in NC

Back