DEK1

I gotta say, I thought "HOLY COW" when the FK2 came out (in comparison to the OGFK). I know it's a little apples and oranges here, but I also think the DEK1 is next level over the FK2. Just my opinion.

The team has outdone themselves again!

There are 4 CPK patterns which were originally designed by Lorien: LC, FK (original), HDFK and DEK1. For each of these, Nathan seems to have poured all of his knowledge and expertise into their R&D marshaled all the way to the finished products. I am convinced that Lorien could not have found a finer and better maker to have done this much right by him making him as proud as a Nathan and CPK.

There are 4 CPK patterns which were originally designed by Lorien: LC, FK (original), HDFK and DEK1. For each of these, Nathan seems to have poured all of his knowledge and expertise into their R&D marshaled all the way to the finished products. I am convinced that Lorien could not have found a finer and better maker to have done this much right by him making him as proud as a Nathan and CPK.

you're right, (although you left out arguably my best- the EDC:eek:). If I had the choice of working with only one cutlery company, regardless of size or type, if would be Nate and Jo's company. Mostly because I trust and like them very much

a huge benefit of working with such a skilled machinist is that I can count on just about any shape I can imagine becoming real. There are few limits to what shapes a CNC machine can produce. With the right mind behind it

I feel like we're just scratching the surface. We can bring handle design further and further, producing some extremely innovative and unique products as I become more proficient, and CPK becomes more optimized. The shop reshuffle will bring things to another level

that's just that stuff, though. The thing I like most about what CPK does is create only high performance knives- arguably the most high performance knives on the market. I can think of no other company that prioritizes every aspect of a knife's performance more than CPK, including the sheaths which are also very carefully considered and well made

What I like about the EDC / FK / FK2 / DEK1 / HDFK is it is not simply a regurgitation of one knife with a 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5 and 6 inch blade. Too many knife companies get away with just stretching or shrinking blade length and calling it a day. The CPK lineup are clearly in the same heritage, but they are all so uniquely developed!

Whoever the inspiration, Nathan's own dome, it's synapses and neurons are responsible for the heir (K18) and the spare (BD). Now a gratuitous picture to prove my point:

7.jpg~original

Hey, so... what is a “penetrator tip” vs a swedge? I’m guessing The length of the added plane is longer on a swedge?

edit: I don’t intend to change the design by adding either, I just want to know.

Last edited:
I envision the penetrator tip having a similar grind to this Bob Lum Tanto. I like the aesthetics on a tanto, and wanted to go with it on the DEK but wasn’t brave enough. I’d love to see one done up and photos shared.

you can fast forward about halfway to get a nice view of the tip.

Hey, so... what is a “penetrator tip” vs a swedge? I’m guessing The length of the added plane is longer on a swedge?

edit: I don’t intend to change the design by adding either, I just want to know.

I envision the penetrator tip having a similar grind to this Bob Lum Tanto. I like the aesthetics on a tanto, and wanted to go with it on the DEK but wasn’t brave enough. I’d love to see one done up and photos shared.

you can fast forward about halfway to get a nice view of the tip.
F30C892D-654B-46C3-ABBF-899047D89411.jpeg
I think this is a penetrator tip on the Shiv. tiny versus a longer swedge option? Hopefully Nathan will weigh in.

Penetrator tip and swedge on an FK2 ......courtesy of brother Nystagmus
New to me and I'm really liking these green TT scales. I also made some g10 liners to thicken the handle up a little.

But who cares about liners...look at that Penetrator Tip!!!

Should give you an idea what it would look like on a DEK1 given the similarities of the blade on both knives.

Back