Design a RAT Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two I designed for another contest but it would look good as a RAT too.
scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

I would buy and use the crap out of this blade.

4 - 5 Inch Blade (handle length unknown) - Makes it easier to carry and lighter. Just the right size for survival/bushcraft IMO
1/4'' or 3/16'' Thick Stock
Full Flat Grind
Full Tang Construction
Convex Edge
Polished w/o Coating - Save some production costs and you guys don't offer any polished blades ATM plus black and polished sells
No Choil - Get as much "blade for your buck" as possible. To me a choil isn't needed on a smaller sized blade. More to baton with!
Black Canvas Micarta - Not the linen and there's nothing in black yet. Black sells.
Hammer/Digging Like Apparatus - designed for hard use survival/bushcraft needs.
Lanyard Hole
Flat/Sloped Pommel

3973704440_514e8e3084_b.jpg

Last edited:
Here's an idea of a new design taking from current models. People love the RC-4 and the RC-5/6 handle, so why not combine the two? Sorry for my photochop in advance. :eek: I give you the RC-4XL prototype design:

RC-4XL.jpg

Specs:

Overall length: 9.75"
Cutting Edge Length: ~4.10"
Blade length: 4.5"
Blade Width: 1.56"
Maximum thickness: .188"
I added the bottle opener on the pommel, guess it doesn't matter if it's there or not.

The knife is essentially the RC-6 without a choil and the blade is the same length as the RC-4's.

I have named my submission La Reina (The Queen). Basically, it is very similar to the Izula, only scaled up about 141%- to make it more of a conventionally sized bushcraft type knife.
lareina1.jpg

After using my Izula this past summer, this would be the perfect addition to the izula to make up for its shortcomings.

Edit No chatting ,make a seperate thread please

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't want to take away from designs that were already so effective. I took some of my favorite things from different RC knives and added some useful features. Starting with an enlarged Izula shaped blade, removable scales for storage (thanks HEST!) and a mean pry bar pommel. Here ya go!

ratknife.jpg

I didn't want to take away from designs that were already so effective. I took some of my favorite things from different RC knives and added some useful features. Starting with an enlarged Izula shaped blade, removable scales for storage (thanks HEST!) and a mean pry bar pommel. Here ya go!

ratknife.jpg

picture not working :confused:

something ive been trying and making

A tactical style but modified for UK Bushcraft use based on the RC-5

ie Pommel is now 2 hammer flats the top one is perpendicular on the point and pommel mid center line so you can easily hammer it in point first etc

20mm saber grind 4 degree to give a thick profile with 30deg secondary ie a large flat on the secondary better for general bushcraft use

Will change the scale front profile to that of the Machette to give a more fwd thumb position

spine scallop has a 80 deg bevel to give a scraper edge also supurb on a Ferro rod

both made from 3/16" thick

machette is heavy and has a variable grind ie a steeper flat grind for the first part and an axe convex in the heavy front part going steeper in the tip

Machette.jpg

ruffhandle2.jpg

TackDRW.jpg

NaTicalstdgrip.jpg

NaTicalfwdthumbgrip.jpg

NaTicalbackgrip.jpg

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:
Make a simple foldable Izula that can be carried in a keychain, more or less like this:

izula10.gif

If the blade needs to be shrank, keep the same proportions. Make it all the same metal, if possible.

I hope more than one entry are allowed.

How about a safety tool based on the Izula, with seatbelt cutter, pry bar, and pommel? More or less like this:

izula211.gif

The sketch of the Izula is shown on top, for comparison. Sorry about the poor drawing skills.

Edit: Allrighty, then. After some thought, perhaps the pommel and the pry ends should be swapped. But I'm not going to do another sketch...

Last edited:
Edit by Jeff: People just don't read the rules.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back