Design a RAT Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rat Bowie/Clip Point.
Blade aprox 6 inches.
The handle is raised slightly above the blade plane to aid food prep tasks. This also centers the stabby tip relative to the handle. Needs jimping on the spine of course. :)

ratbowie1.jpg

I'll try to do a better rendering soon, just wanted to get the idea up for now.

This is more of a modification to the RC-4 than an actual new model. I seem to have fun just drawing stuff like this. Click on picture to enlarge.

Basically an RC-4 geared towards rescue workers with the following modifications:

* Guthook / cable cutter at the tip
* Extra serrations
* Straight screwdriver / glass breaker on the back
* A cutout on the back to use on hex bolts of various sizes
* 2/3 handle slabs to accomodate the wrench and lanyard hole
* Possibly thicker stock to make it better able to pry

Rat Cutlery RadRat

radrat.jpg

RadRat has a long curved belly that makes it good chopper / skinner. The widening blade also gives this knife the desired weight, and looks!

Thanks for the opportunity!

Something i did the other day. Its a chopper. Not much of a kitchen knife though. Size about the same as rc-4. Love the thread.

rat3-1.jpg

rat2-1.jpg

rat1-1.jpg

A bit changed version, same size:

4.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
I would call this something like the Rat Cutlery Survival Spear (RC-S, RC-SS) or Combat Spear (RC-CS). It's primarily a fighting knife. The knife would feature an around 8 inch blade and single edge. Not a thick chopping blade, but thick enough to take some abuse. It should be able to be swung quickly. The profile of the knife would be slightly narrow for better piercing capability. The micarta material like on the RC3MIL and RC-5. It would have dual pry bars on the handle, similar to the one on the Hest knife handle; good for finger protection. If you remove the handle slabs, the pry bars could be used as a way to secure the knife with paracord to a modified survival spear for killing trapped game. Sheath should have a place to store the handle slabs and a small wrench. I'm guessing cordura material with a large pocket. I did this in Paint, hope ya'll like it!

ratknife.jpg

I know there have already been some wharncliffe submissions but I have a couple more. The first is an Izula sized offering with a blunted tip to prevent it from catching on anything from flesh to rubber rafts.
Izula.jpg

The second is a minature neck knife. It would be the same size blade as the wharnie Izula but instead of a full length handle it has just the pinkie sized loop. I envision this blade being used to be used by grasping the blade like an ulu and used to scrape or slice.
Mini%20Izula.JPG

IMG_9715.jpg

I colored in with ink the only changes I would make to the Izula. Also I seen a little space at the top of the izula sheath so I figured why not put a ferro rod there. I know its a pretty crappy pic, mostly due to lighting, so if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me or bring it up in the other thread.

Changes:

Extend the handle of the izula and make a pommel with a bottle opener,
The open space inside the handle of the izula could be cut to where you could use it to loosen nuts or bolts,
Also a ferro rod inserted along the spine of the sheath would be pretty sweet.

Quoting a design doesn't make it yours!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You obviously didn't read the rules either...amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The design

Blade lenght: 5.86"
Handle lenght: 5.11"
Handle with: 1"
372205718.jpg

In between the pics:
Overall lengt=10.98"
Blade thickness=0.2"

Extra:
Glass breacker pommel
Bow drill divot
Swedge

Comparisation with endura 4, Izula and 551 griptillian

372205717.jpg

I'm really far from being a capable MS painter, but here's a photo-chop of what I think would be a great RC knife. It's simply the handle of the RC-6 with an RC4 blade, but no choil. It would also be in ~1/8" thickness. It allows use of the standard micarta scales, and there is no re-invention of the wheel. I think this fills a great niche for bushcrafters/outdoorsmen who need a beefier grip and a thinner/shorter blade, and who don't prefer a choil (a common set of design features often noted by woods-folk).

RC-4B.jpg

Last edited:
Here's two cut from masonite...the drawing in black sharpie is sloppy and not exact but was done quickly...but gets the idea across.

The smaller is 8" overall and the larger one is 10.25" overall. Blade height is right at 3/4" for the smaller and 1.25" for the larger. Handle lengths are 3.5" and 5". Smaller is hollow ground, larger could be hollow, full flat or convex.

My-two.jpg

Thanks. :)

RC-H Concept by Wayne Kahler (fenderacoustic)

rchconcept.jpg

Most of the knives I have seen in this thread are filling the gaps in the existing line. This concept takes it in a completely different direction. One of the things I love about RAT knives is the heirloom quality. These are knives I can and will pass on to my children. I wanted a hatchet that I could do the same with.

Heavily inspired by DPX H.E.S.T. Knife. It has the prybar and similar handle. Imagine how much more effective that prybar would be choking up on that choil. The RC-H also features a finger groove design to ensure a better grip. There is also a choil for detail work and for a good grip while using the prybar. The handle is hollow like the H.E.S.T for storage and to put more weight distribution at the head. Grips are removable G10. Colors will be consistent with the rest of the RAT line.

The RC-H is one piece steel just as the rest of the family of RAT Cutlery. The edge will be razor sharp and the poll can be used as a hammer. Notice the ridges on the top. They will be more defined compared to the rounded ridges on RAT knives and will be able to spark a firesteel.

I hope you guys like it. I designed it to fulfill what I have been wanting and not to look cool or win the contest just to win. Anyone feel free to give me some feedback via PM or submit variations on my design.

Thanks for looking. Good luck to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back