Did your Traditional knife get a workout today? -Part II

This hammer loop finally hung me up on one drawer-pull too many.
5DmH6o6.jpg

Az8l2kC.jpg

So yesterday I looked at my rake that I've used for 38 years, and I says to myself, "Self, it might be about time for a new rake." But that didn't stop me from using my Farmer to tighten up the screw that attaches the handle, then using it to rake up some clippings.

Earlier in the day I used the saw blade to cut a shrub root that was still 2" thick 18" below where the surface had been. It will probably grow back, but it will take a spell.
D4boKqH.jpg

I normally use kitchen knives in the kitchen, but, every once in a while, one of my traditionals wants to come out and play. Today it was my Sonoran Belt Knife's turn. Made by our own @Horsewright, it's a capable little knife, packing a lot of slicing power into its 2.5" inches of blade.

On the menu tonight is Caldo Verde, a rustic Portuguese soup made with potatoes, onions, linquiça, and kale. Lots of of fun to be had prepping them all:

3doHJ7Ch.jpg

No need for a knife come serving time, though, so it got to take a rest:

hST8ApHh.jpg

I used this estate sale Cutco to cut seed potatoes yesterday. I don't know if there will be more seed potatoes to cut, but I'm bringing a little cutting board in future just in case. My hand got a little tired from cutting against my thumb for two hours.
Dza90Mt.jpg

Last edited:
I normally use kitchen knives in the kitchen, but, every once in a while, one of my traditionals wants to come out and play. Today it was my Sonoran Belt Knife's turn. Made by our own @Horsewright, it's a capable little knife, packing a lot of slicing power into its 2.5" inches of blade.

On the menu tonight is Caldo Verde, a rustic Portuguese soup made with potatoes, onions, linquiça, and kale. Lots of of fun to be had prepping them all:

3doHJ7Ch.jpg

No need for a knife come serving time, though, so it got to take a rest:

hST8ApHh.jpg

That looks excellent, going to have to look up some recipes for it (will be having White Wine with it for sure, maybe in it)... I often use a non culinary knife in the kitchen- small fixed or a Spanish folding knife that I take with me when visiting friends to help prep stuff (most peoples' kitchen knives are abhorrent 🤮)

Az8l2kC.jpg

So yesterday I looked at my rake that I've used for 38 years, and I says to myself, "Self, it might be about time for a new rake." But that didn't stop me from using my Farmer to tighten up the screw that attaches the handle, then using it to rake up some clippings.

Earlier in the day I used the saw blade to cut a shrub root that was still 2" thick 18" below where the surface had been. It will probably grow back, but it will take a spell.
D4boKqH.jpg
I know that look...when I bought the country place 16 years ago, it came furnished and with quite a lot of tools. Many of the old rakes were missing teeth...but they're still in use 🇫🇮 I'm an old rake..but I do have all my teeth, wisdom and all. SAK Farmer's coolest bit is the saw, incredibly useful in tight places.

Been up ladders all day: repairing nest-boxes and putting 3 new ones up. I used this Michael May Pruner to score marks, fashion perches and pry open the floor of the boxes to clear out the old nest debris. Not a savoury job with the strong wind blowing and getting grit in your eye . The knife spent the night outdoors as I left it on a sill...it also did its normal duties with pruning twigs etc but it's a versatile blade and comfortable knife in the hand.

3bvGWk1.jpg

Back