Do you guys play video games?

I have been playing Super Animal Royale lately. It's free so it's easy to pick. It's cute and fun. I bet it would have been exactly in my alley when I was kid since I loved games like worms.

Playing Pokemon with unbound cheats the game is entertaining on its own, but ha(ks enhance it significantly. Always remember to enter them using GameShark (Action Replay) or Code Breaker hacks. You can learn to think by playing computer games. How to Recognize Patterns Pattern recognition has always struck me as one of the most useful learning tools. You notice things happening repeatedly. That teaches you something. You already know it will happen again. It's similar to how games teach you how to play them.

Last edited:
I would say you can train your thinking with games of many kinds, but they won't teach you to think, per se... only how to think within their specific rulesets.

No you weren't.
screenshot-lsl1-chapel-flasher.gif

I got a DOS emulator and fired up Where in the World is Carmen San Diego, when my kids were young - what a classic game. They loved it, and we used wikipedia to look up country flags and clues. They still remember it fondly.

My son used to sit on my lap and fire the rockets on some space shooter sims, then started learning to play Counter Strike. Now as a teenager of course he kicks my butt in FPS games.
These days I turn on cheats with WeMod in most games so that I can enjoy the game/art/story and not get stressed with having to master it or spend hours (which I don't have!)

I just bought Star Wars Squadrons for few $$ on sale... what a blast with a joystick playing single player flying Tie fighters and X-Wings with modern graphics. I just play single player campaigns, not really into multiplayer.
I did play some Paladins multiplayer and it was kinda fun, the skill differential is that you will be up against (probably) teens who spend hours and they will utterly destroy you.

Gamewise, I grew up on old school, tabletop D&D. That led me into all kinds of other tabletop RPGs, but after moving a bunch of times after college, I haven't had a stable gaming group for years. So at some point, I started playing computer games. I got into turn-based strategy games for a while (MOO2: Battle at Antares and Civ 3 were favorites), and then moved on to some single-player adventure games. BOTW was amazing. I played a few games straight through, back to back. Then, when the Little McGee mentioned taking the Switch to college, I ran out and bought myself a PS4.... only to discover that BOTW isn't made for the PS4. Drat. The Little McGee then bought me Skyrim for Christmas. For a 10+ year old game, holy cow! I played it several times back to back all the way through, and it's still a standby when I can't find anything else I want to play in my game library. Horizon Zero Dawn and Horizon Forbidden West are also very good.

Handy cheapskate trick: Check with your local libraries. Mine has PS4 games I can check out and play for a couple of weeks while I decide if they're worth buying.

Mario Maker 2 is way more complicated than I thought it would be.

It is super time consuming to make levels from scratch. I'm glad I'm just borrowing it for the time being.

Back