Ed Fowler

... Let's all hold hands and sing a song. :)

Lacy things, the wife is missin'
Didn't ask, her permission
I'm wearin' her clothes
Her silk pantyhose
Forgin’ blades in women's underwear

In the store, there's a teddy
Little straps, like spaghetti
It holds me so tight
Like handcuffs at night

In the smithy there's a guy named Melvin,
He pretends that I am Murphy Brown
He'll say, "Are you ready?" I'll say, "Whoa Man!"
"Let's wait until our wives are out of town!"

Later on, if you wanna
We can dress, like Madonna
Put on some eyeshade
And join the parade

Lacy things- missin'
Didn't ask- permission
Wearin' her clothes
Her silk pantyhose

For me, the best part of threads like this are the end results. Some come out looking like rational, free-willed and free-minded thinkers. Some come out looking like the wackjobs they are.
I urge anyone reading this thread and wondering about the processes of metals to seek out answers, rather than latch onto a perceived 'master' and accept word as bond.

This thread was about the ABS, originally. Every organization has it's flaws. Instead of throwing rocks at the walls outside, I'd prefer to open doors form inside.

For me, the best part of threads like this are the end results. Some come out looking like rational, free-willed and free-minded thinkers. Some come out looking like the wackjobs they are.
I urge anyone reading this thread and wondering about the processes of metals to seek out answers, rather than latch onto a perceived 'master' and accept word as bond.

This thread was about the ABS, originally. Every organization has it's flaws. Instead of throwing rocks at the walls outside, I'd prefer to open doors from inside.

Whoa! Careful! Your post was both reasoned, and reasonable. That doesn't fly well in this thread.

This thread was about the ABS, originally. Every organization has it's flaws. Instead of throwing rocks at the walls outside, I'd prefer to open doors from inside.

Well said! Except I think you just called me a whack-job! :foot: :)

This thread was about the ABS, originally. Every organization has it's flaws. Instead of throwing rocks at the walls outside, I'd prefer to open doors form inside.

Much wisdom there.

Nick, you are a whack-job, but we like you anyway. :p

Roger

... Let's all hold hands and sing a song. :)

Lacy things, the wife is missin'
Didn't ask, her permission
I'm wearin' her clothes
Her silk pantyhose

In the store, there's a teddy
Little straps, like spaghetti
It holds me so tight
Like handcuffs at night

In the smithy there's a guy named Melvin,
He pretends that I am Murphy Brown
He'll say, "Are you ready?" I'll say, "Whoa Man!"
"Let's wait until our wives are out of town!"

Later on, if you wanna
We can dress, like Madonna
Put on some eyeshade
And join the parade

Lacy things- missin'
Didn't ask- permission
Wearin' her clothe
Her silk pantyhose

you know, tai....everytime you post some song in the middle of a thread it makes me feel like John Belushi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0QqbukAlKQ

I like name calling, it presses people to think outside of the box. :rolleyes: :D

I DID watch the video, and found it to be a perfect fit. Thank you Mr. Shepherd :D

Thank you Ed, your answers are appreciated.

A couple more questions.

From your research what is the critical temperature of 52-100 and 5160.

If a person was to use a constant heat source rather than a torch, such as a salt pot, do you feel the end results would change? One would still only quench the bottom third of the blade but the upper 2/3's would be taken to a higher temperature than with the torch prior to quenching.

I ask because I am still not convinced that consistency and accuracy could be achieved judging the heat by color and magnet. By most of us anyway.

Daniel

im with you on this as thats why i got a kiln. it takes away guessing the temp (for the most part)
so i dont have ot worry about color of steel in different lighting or the like
Thank you Ed, your answers are appreciated.

A couple more questions.

From your research what is the critical temperature of 52-100 and 5160.

If a person was to use a constant heat source rather than a torch, such as a salt pot, do you feel the end results would change? One would still only quench the bottom third of the blade but the upper 2/3's would be taken to a higher temperature than with the torch prior to quenching.

I ask because I am still not convinced that consistency and accuracy could be achieved judging the heat by color and magnet. By most of us anyway.

Daniel

A question... When we talk about improving the steel by squeezing every ounce of refinement out with multiple quenches, soak times, etc... What kind of perceivable improvements have we made? Is it a difference of chopping through 80 2x4's as opposed to 75?

Example...

With all things equal and done properly... What kind of performance increase (and in what area) is there between a single quenched blade of 52100 and a multiple quenched piece?

Is there a measurable amount.... 3%... 5%.... 15%??

Rick

PS. This thread is all over the place.... but I kind of like it... a freeform debate of several issues. I hope it stays civil and open.

Wow, Rick... great question!

How would these process refinements translate with regard to performance in the hand of the average user?

Rick

Last edited:
No doubt this thread is out there selling knives for all of us. $$$ :)

This is all just shameless self promotion!

Last edited:
you know, tai....everytime you post some song in the middle of a thread it makes me feel like John Belushi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0QqbukAlKQ

Sunny Side Of The Mountain

Now don't forget me little darling while I'm growing old and gray
Just a little thought before I'm going far away
I'll be waiting on the hillside where the wild red roses grow
On the sunny side of the mountain where the rippling waters fall

Now don't forget about those days we courted many years ago
Don't forget all the promises you gave me and so
I'll be waiting on the hillside on the day that you will call
On the sunny side of the mountain where the rippling waters fall

Please tell me darling in your letter do you ever think of me
Please answer little darling tell me where you can be