Edc hard use knives used hard

Well my zt 0350 lived a hard neglected life with me. It finished its days with a tattered beat blade chipped, broke tip reshaped sharpened a million times.
Damn good hard use knife heavy beefy in hand. Minimal slop in blade after a bout a year of prying cutting and scraping.
Unfortunately I left it on a excavator track after cleaning out a grease zerk. Tracked over it and eventually dug it up and sent it to knife heaven on a truck.

I was naked feeling for about a day did no research on what to replace it with. Walked into my local sportsman grabbed a 0350 noticed the benchmade 560. I did not have time to yammer around so I walked out with the 560 I took the hit in the wallet over the 0350 because i want to try the m4 steel and the zt grips become slippery after hard use. They start very grippy but soon wear smooth.
The benchmade starts smooth but shouldn't wear down like the 0350.
Also the 560 has more of pointed tip better for getting in tight place but also better for breaking the tip off. I'm disappointed the 560 doesn't have a deep carry clip. I know not everyone wants a deep carry but I do.

I did look at the griptilians reverse tanto that is my favorite blade but the knife feels so cheap and wide with its plastic grips.

Long story the 560 is hear to scream mercy. As I plan to abuse it till it breaks

Disappointed I cant post pics. Such a pain the ass on the site. Maybe in a month or so I'll post of the beat 560 if I dont send it off to be with the zt.

I don't respect beat up tools. I respect tools that look new and fail from fatigue.
Some of my extensions and sockets have failed by fracturing after 35+ years of service.
And they still looked good when they failed!

I agree only to some extent. The only way to keep a tool mint is if you don't use it. Tools, when used, even in the most appropiate baby-ed way, will show wear Those sockets, if you ever used on dirty equipment, will show scratches. If you ever used them on an impact, the inner faces (corners) of the square drive hole will show some spots where the metal has deformed. Pliers will get play in the jaws, teeth cut in the jaws will round off the minute it slips when trying to loosen/tigthen a nut/bolt. The wire cutters, same thing. And if it has any kind of plastic/rubber coating on the handles, oils, solvents, UV exposure, etc will take a toll no matter what.

I think it is difficult to draw the line between use and abuse. What constitutes abuse if we are talking about, say, sockets? Using a 6 foot cheater on it? How about pliers? You could abuse them as much as your grip strength allows... what else could constitute abuse?

For me knives are expensive, so I try not to be an idiot with them because it hurts to replace them. If I am in the shop, I keep my knvies far away from me. I use utility knives with replaceble blades for most chores. I couldn't picture myself cutting strips of sandpaper with one of my knives, or cutting open the rubber boot of a CV joing knowing it will get grease all over.

Mikel

I have a pair of craftsmen pliers I got for Christmas when I was 8. They look new
pretty much...but I have used the hell out of them...and never abused them.
I am now 58. Good tool users use their tools properly and care for them too.

I don't respect beat up tools. I respect tools that look new and fail from fatigue.
Some of my extensions and sockets have failed by fracturing after 35+ years of service.
And they still looked good when they failed!

Most of my tools, knives included, look minty. Which contrary to popular opinion
has nothing to do with how hard they have been used!
I have to agree with M Mikel_24
If tools are used they will show wear. In my career as an electrician I have used tools day in and day out. I use only Klein hand tools. I have been thru many pair of lineman pliers. And even at $50 a pair and being some of the best you can buy, they still wear. The teeth will wear down slick. Not saying they don’t get used for things they weren’t intended for. Ask any electrician what they use for a hammer 75 percent of the time and they’ll say lineman pliers. That and a big beater screwdriver and you’ve got one hell of a pair. Still not abuse in my opinion.

Drills, rotary hammers, benders, claw hammers, concrete saws, etc. You can baby them all you want, but after years of use day in and day out they’ll show some wounds and scars. For me anyway. Not saying they don’t still function. We’ve got a jackhammer that is thirty years old and runs like a champ but it looks worn. The environments they get used in it’s inevitable. Down in ditches, concrete, dust, dirt, debris, oil, grease, under crawlspaces, up in attics, etc. Hard to keep tools pristine looking if your down in a five foot ditch all day long. Not saying that it’s not possible. Just very hard if they’re being used, for me personally. I’d most likely go broke if I took that much time to make sure my tools never got marked up.

My knives aren’t much exception. Now granted blowing a notch in a blade was from carelessness. But it’s happens from time to time. This Crk has not been abused, none of my knives have been at all, but it is far from minty looking. It’s just been used for it’s intended purposes. FDCB935D-A5ED-4F4B-B406-610724D1AE56.jpeg

While I’m not looking directly to misuse a knife, it happens.

There are some knives I will take to work and others I won’t. I’m not going to take my Kershaw Ruby to work with me...but I have no issue using a 0620 or 0452 to scrape gasket off a flange or a 0055 help cut out some drywall.

I won’t try to pry up a iron manhole cover with a knife, but I have pried open hatch doors using a knife and a screwdriver or channellocks. If it’s in my pocket, it’ll get used for whatever I need within its limitations of course. And if those limitations are exceeded and the knife gets wrecked as a result, totes my fault cuz I def knew better.

My current work knife for days I'll need a tool I won't have to worry about. I knew it would kick my old work knife outta my pocket the moment I handled it. The S35VN takes a good edge, rolls instead of chips, and I'll be damned if that "thick spanto tip" isn't sturdy and great for prying. Rick himself has said that's what it was designed to do right?? ;)
KgtgsU5.jpg

I use only Klein hand tools.
If you never tried knipex tools I'd highly recommended giving them a shot.
I bought the 250mm cobra pliers and haven't touched my channel locks since. Knipex has slowly retired many of my Klein tools.
I still use Klein linesmen pliers. I just don't think any other brand would feel right in my hand when it comes to them.

I have to agree with M Mikel_24
If tools are used they will show wear. In my career as an electrician I have used tools day in and day out. I use only Klein hand tools. I have been thru many pair of lineman pliers. And even at $50 a pair and being some of the best you can buy, they still wear. The teeth will wear down slick. Not saying they don’t get used for things they weren’t intended for. Ask any electrician what they use for a hammer 75 percent of the time and they’ll say lineman pliers. That and a big beater screwdriver and you’ve got one hell of a pair. Still not abuse in my opinion.

Drills, rotary hammers, benders, claw hammers, concrete saws, etc. You can baby them all you want, but after years of use day in and day out they’ll show some wounds and scars. For me anyway. Not saying they don’t still function. We’ve got a jackhammer that is thirty years old and runs like a champ but it looks worn. The environments they get used in it’s inevitable. Down in ditches, concrete, dust, dirt, debris, oil, grease, under crawlspaces, up in attics, etc. Hard to keep tools pristine looking if your down in a five foot ditch all day long. Not saying that it’s not possible. Just very hard if they’re being used, for me personally. I’d most likely go broke if I took that much time to make sure my tools never got marked up.

My knives aren’t much exception. Now granted blowing a notch in a blade was from carelessness. But it’s happens from time to time. This Crk has not been abused, none of my knives have been at all, but it is far from minty looking. It’s just been used for it’s intended purposes. View attachment 1251549

Errr I... emm well if it's in the right pocket there's a chance it may or may not get used as a chisel a some point. And imho Klein makes some of the best tools a craftsman can buy bar none. In cabling there snips are top of the line for sure and I have definitely used pliers as a hammer more then once a day. Up under a house they seem to be your best friend in just about every single occasion.

If you never tried knipex tools I'd highly recommended giving them a shot.
I bought the 250mm cobra pliers and haven't touched my channel locks since. Knipex has slowly retired many of my Klein tools.
I still use Klein linesmen pliers. I just don't think any other brand would feel right in my hand when it comes to them.
I’ve seen them but never tried them. Some supply houses here carry southwire and greenlee hand tools. I’m not a real big fan of those. I’ll give knipex a try tho

Errr I... emm well if it's in the right pocket there's a chance it may or may not get used as a chisel a some point. And imho Klein makes some of the best tools a craftsman can buy bar none. In cabling there snips are top of the line for sure and I have definitely used pliers as a hammer more then once a day. Up under a house they seem to be your best friend in just about every single occasion.
They definitely have a multitude of uses. If I show up on a service call instead of lugging my heavy ass bag in I can walk in with a pair of lineman, strippers, 11-in-1 screwdriver and a meter and usually get a good start.

Now I may do some scraping with the spine of my knife but usually not using as a chisel. Makes me nervous. I also don’t have anything in my right pocket but my SAK electrician. It’ll get used for a little pry bar in a pinch, or the sheepsfoot if It’s needed. I know what you have in your right pocket tho, you ain’t chiseling with what’s in your left pocket ;) I will scrape stickers off of conduit with the spine tho. Can’t stand to have stickers on my pipe if it’s exposed :confused:

Grounded out my 21 tanto and blew a nice notch In it. Knives are built to use and that’s what I enjoy doing with them. Don’t have any pics of my Insingo’s working but it makes a great shape as well. Especially for stripping cable and wire

That couldn't have felt good :eek:

Really enjoying this thread - all of my knives are under $250 and users, but some of you guys use really expensive knives pretty hard. As they should be used (if you can afford it lol).

20191220_110938.jpg
Today's work is blinds. So right pocket has the Razzel in it. And yes it will be used as a chisel at least a dozen times today. As usual the left has a CRK. But I'm not in the office so it's the good ol worker insingo large 21. And absolutely no way will it be used as a chisel. But I will work the snot out of her. And she will love it. One of the best knives I have bought. Thanks Dcdavis Dcdavis for giving me the opportunity to have this one. You were 100% correct everyone should have a insingo and it should absolutely be worked for wiring, scraping and general cutting tasks in construction.

Last edited:
That couldn't have felt good :eek:

Really enjoying this thread - all of my knives are under $250 and users, but some of you guys use really expensive knives pretty hard. As they should be used (if you can afford it lol).
Some of us just don’t have any sense :D I can’t just let a knife sit around. The first scratch always stings for me but it’s kinda of a freeing moment. Don’t have to worry about babying it anymore. I just get more enjoyment out of using mine

View attachment 1252072
Today's work is blinds. So right pocket has the Razzel in it. And yes it will be used as a chisel at least a dozen times today. As usual the left has a CRK. But I'm not in the office so it's the good ol worker insingo large 21. And absolutely no way will it be used as a chisel. But I will work the snot out of her. And she will love it. One of the best knives I have bought. That's Dcdavis Dcdavis for giving me the opportunity to have this one. You were 100% correct everyone should have a insingo and it should absolutely be worked for wiring, scraping and general cutting tasks in construction.
Glad your enjoying it

Been running the 560 and not sure I like it it. Been scraping slag cutting rope spark plug wires. Deburring after metal is cut.
The black finish myswell nt be on there. Zt finish is amazing cnt get it to come off. Benchmade I'm embarrassed they wasted the time to smear paint on it.

Will keep running it as I haven't yet lost or broke it.

1A2E1DC1-CEEC-4DF5-AAE7-0C35D020EAB2.jpeg 68962A54-40DC-422C-8FB3-33371FC1EE1B.jpeg One of my favorite workers. The Insingo blade shape is just perfect. Great utility working blade. The Inkosi is a bit beefier than the 21 in my opinion. Not as good of a slicer as the 21 but a little stouter. The inlays help with a little more grip and filling the hand. Overall just a great worker that can take a beating.

Back