Edc hard use knives used hard

Hey, as long as people are using their knives, I'm happy. :thumbsup:
I'm cool if people end up snapping parts of their blade off even.

Just don't go snapping parts off of my knife. :D
(If I break bits off my own knife, that's my own fault, and therefore okay)

Yeap! Same here...

Last weekend I put together a team of volunteers to disassemble a shade house that was donated to the local Farm Bureau.

Couple of my buds had very dull utility knives that wouldn’t cut the shade screen. One asked if they could borrow my pocket knife (was carrying a Cold Steel Broken Skull).

I said sure... handed it over and got back to my impact tool and wrenches. About half an hour later I asked for it back. They pointed to it... It was jammed in the rocky dirt.

Some people just don’t have any regard for tools at all.

On the positive side... the CTS-XHP took the abuse in stride... no chipping. Even the DLC still looks good.

Wow! I think most of you would be appalled at what a real, hard working knife looks like and gets used for.... :eek:

As 'knife-nuts' you all collect, admire, and covet knives for they're design, or materials, collectability, or whatever, and expect that everyone is going to use them solely as cutting implements. But that's just not how it works out in the real world, where the majority of the people who own and carry knives just see them as a fairly universal tool. Hell most of them aren't even that sharp, and when they are sharpened it's on a pull through or electric sharpener.

The average knife owner....

The average knife owner doesn't come to forums to talk about their knives. They don't care about them.

We do.

That's why we talk about them, value them, respect their designers, and don't break them.

That is why you are seeing what you are from the people here. What else would you expect?

Go to a Scotch whiskey forum and tell them you put ice in yours because you are not an effete snob like them.

I like good knives good glass welders dirt digging machines and red heads.
In no particular order.

I meant no disrespect to anyone, I certainly couldnt hack it in an office environment I often have trouble communicating with people. I'm blunt straight to point with no time for bs.
So why am I hear?same as mentioned above
I research the tools I buy wether they're welders trackhoes trucks or knives .

I enjoy reading threads heck even stirring the pot at times.

I have strong points and weak one of my strongs is making what I have work even if it's not proper tool for the job.

I like seeing how everyone views the same topic in a different way some even defensive

Knives are no different than guns and good glass. Some collect while a few use. Nothing wrong with either. We all like them and I agree that's why were here.

I really like the looks of the Kershaw shuffle. Would go well in saddle bags. Or buy one to leave in each vehicle.

Maybe even cut it to fit grease zerks like one pictured above
Evan Miller shared a Flickr photo with you.

https://flic.kr/p/2ggZjAs

Last edited:
I wouldn't call the GEC #73 a "hard use" knife but it's probably seen more use/carry than any of my other folders, excluding the Manix 2. This was my EDC throughout all of highschool. The picture doesnt show all the scratches and nicks but this knife has seen some stuff....
0aylvWV.jpg

I like good knives good glass welders dirt digging machines and red heads.
In no particular order.

I meant no disrespect to anyone, I certainly couldnt hack it in an office environment I often have trouble communicating with people. I'm blunt straight to point with no time for bs.
So why am I hear?same as mentioned above
I research the tools I buy wether they're welders trackhoes trucks or knives .

I enjoy reading threads heck even stirring the pot at times.

I have strong points and weak one of my strongs is making what I have work even if it's not proper tool for the job.

I like seeing how everyone views the same topic in a different way some even defensive

Knives are no different than guns and good glass. Some collect while a few use. Nothing wrong with either. We all like them and I agree that's why were here.

And yet you took a jab at other members' masculinity because they don't break knives like you do (ironically, by waxing about men with their hard hands and girth).

I'm sure after you have been here more than a few days you will appreciate the fact that different people do different stuff with their knives than you. Even people who work in an office.

My late dad was a lifelong blue collar worker with so-called "hard hands" with thick, sausage-like fingers from a life of hard work (grew up on a farm, worked on a professional tuna fishing boat, then later as a gardener). He'd buy one pocketknife, use it up, throw whatever was left of it in an old toolbox, then buy another. Mostly the blades were sharpened down to almost nothing. As he got older and the dexterity of his thick fingers deteriorated more, he got a Buck 110. His was an early one, that went to a convex grind. Unlike his previous multi-bladed pocketknives, he could pinch and pull the blade without having to use the nail nick.

I still have that 110. There's a good amount of wear, but the tip is still intact. It isn't 'needle-sharp' due to normal wear and tear, but it's clear that he never abused it or tried to turn screws or pry with it. I think it was one of, if not THE, last knives he ever bought and carried. To him, a knife was just an everyday tool, but he wasn't about to waste his money (or the hassle) of having to keep buying new knives before he absolutely had to. When he was a kid, on the farm, a typical pocketknife had a lifespan of maybe a couple or a few years at most, but not due to inappropriate use, because back in the 1920s and '30s, money wasn't something they could just throw away.

Jim

Last edited:
I like how everyone uses theyre knives. I'm not defensive I don't care that I'm different than the majority here I respect all for what they are and do and how they use the knives they carry in they're pocket.
I said I worded my thread with wrong words I apologized if you dont like it stop checking in on this thread.
It's about knives and how they're used and often abused.
Though on a side note its replies like yours that bring attention to the thread so it's not really a bad thing.

Maybe the thread title should have been
Real Use Tools

I dunno something catchy but doesnt bring masculinity or lack into it. Seems those replieng are doing that themselves by being defensive,that I cant help.

Reactions: vba
I like how everyone uses theyre knives. I'm not defensive I don't care that I'm different than the majority here I respect all for what they are and do and how they use the knives they carry in they're pocket.
I said I worded my thread with wrong words I apologized if you dont like it stop checking in on this thread.
It's about knives and how they're used and often abused.
Though on a side note its replies like yours that bring attention to the thread so it's not really a bad thing.

Maybe the thread title should have been
Real Use Tools

I dunno something catchy but doesnt bring masculinity or lack into it. Seems those replieng are doing that themselves by being defensive,that I cant help.

It’s the internet, so the community is diverse and from all walks of life. You can expect a diverse amount of answers and opinions.

Don’t sweat it too much.

Btw...here’s the pic of your ZT you shared. It might be more easily viewable for some. Nice knife! 4B77977D-7FDA-49E1-988A-0BBCF8BD0FBF.jpeg

I'm not sweating. I like this thread I debated in my head for about 30seconds starting it.

Thanks for embedding the picture. That's 200psi water line. I do have a tool for cutting it but it was clear across the jobsite

Reactions: vba
If MacGyver used everything for it's intended purpose (I maybe going out on a limb here) I suspect his employer would have called after the first episode to inform him that the show had been cancelled. The inability to adapt to your situation when a crisis calls will leave you in the dustbin of underachievers when you discover the dime you've kept in your pocket to make that emergency telephone call doesn't do you any good because most all the pay phones have been removed thanks to the evolution of the telephone.
You realize McGyver is a fictional character, right?
I love seeing knives worn from cutting a lot of stuff and getting resharpened.

..... The inability to adapt to your situation when a crisis calls will leave you in the dustbin of underachievers...

You used the magic word. Crisis, emergency, once-in-a-lifetime-situation... If it happens once a year, at most, it could be described using any of the words above, and those grant the use of any tool in any way if it helps you to achieve your goal.

BUT if it happens often, then I would say it is lack of prepartion. Or a mix between that or the owner satisfaction of using a tool (knife in this case) well above it's intended design parameters and surviving (or not!)

Mikel

A knife is a tool. A tool that's primarily used for cutting. It's, however, at the owner's discretion whether he utilizes his or her tool in an exclusive manner. It really shouldn't ruffle feathers or cause commotion.

I've used knives for drill bits, drywall scoring, fingernail cleaning, face shaving, rim removal of tires, pruning, food prep, outright demolition, intimidation, fire starting, fidgeting, etc....

I couldn't care less what you use yours for. Really, the whole purist ideal of what a knife is, is for the most part, an ideal, not a reality. Just ask any soldier.

What I would be opposed to is someone using a knife in an improvisation and trying to warranty it on a company's dime. If you're going to use your knives for jobs other than their main purpose, cutting, I think that you're more or less waiving your rights to warranties.

Other than that, be safe and continue on!

I was thinking of this topic just the other day and tried to get a pic of my most current hard use edc knife. The stone washing helps to hide it's scars. This was the best I could do. My other carry knife always looks good in pics because it doesn't see the same kind of abuse. It's mostly in pocket because I'm a knife guy and I like it.
djtUpZt.jpg

But I get the complaint that knife guys knives always look nice. Probably because we're always buying a new one.

Back