EDC "rotation"

AntDog

Gold Member
This is a concept I've seen with great proliferation lately...

If you have an "EDC rotation", you don't have an EDC. Let's think about it literally. EDC - every day carry.

If you have 10 knives that you rotate carrying, you do not have an EDC. Simply because you do not carry any knife every day.

I guess the concept of carrying A knife every day isn't too popular anymore. I don't even carry the same knife every day anymore myself except for my SAK.

I kinda miss the days when I'd just "carry A knife". I mean carry one single knife every day for years. Back then if a guy had more than one, we all thought he had chosen poorly.

Carrying one knife every day naturally forces the knife to build character. For those of us who have children, they also see you using the same knife every day and they'll think of it as "Dad's knife" (or Mom's knife). It might be more special for them to have that one special knife they remember you using to be passed down to them than 10 knives you used off and on.

Does anybody have a true EDC they'd like to show off? What are your thoughts on having one true EDC that you carry every day?

The only thing I truly EDC is my Leatherman Squirt.
And I guess my Mora Companion, since it has a permanent place in my work pants.
6g1vqZQ.jpg

I would like to just carry one single knife every day, but I think I'm in too deep at this point.

Edit: added a picture

Last edited:
This is a concept I've seen with great proliferation lately...

If you have an "EDC rotation", you don't have an EDC. Let's think about it literally. EDC - every day carry.
Its a term, I often see used. "X knife in my rotation."
I must admit, that I scoff when I encounter the term in regards to knives*
How anal/OCD would one have to be to have a 'rotation' of specific knives.
I dont collect knives (as in there is no red thread. I have an eclectic bunch ranging from vintage swords to a Dragonfly), I just have a bunch of them. Nor do I have a 'rotation' of knives.
I grab one of several off the shelf from or I use one knife for several days/weeks/months on end. In the case of the latter, that would be a kind of an EDC knife (not that I get to actually carry a knife every day).
Currently, its the Delica, which sees the most use. A great little knife.
7dgPgrC.jpg

*Beyond silly, just as the term 'deployment' for opening a knife.

Last edited:
I take (as many others do from other threads similar to this) EDC a bit different ... to me EDC means I carry "a" knife everyday not necessarilly the same one ...

I know it's inturpreted both ways ... and realise the literal meaning of the term ... sometimes it is used to just describe a knife that makes for a good all around use knife that would/could be carried daily and be useful at many cutting tasks ...

now all that said I don't have a rotation as some ... but I will carry one modern folder type knife awhile then maybe switch to another for awhile (those top 3 are a Hinderer XM-18 3.5" ... A Large CRK of one varity or another ... and a Spyderco Manicx II in M4) ...

but there is always an Alox SAK Farmer on me ... so in a literal meaning ... the only one I EDC that way are my SAK Farmers.

Last edited:
I see where you are coming from here but the fact is, some tools are better for certain situations. For instance, are you dressed up for work? Are you just hanging around the house? Are you doing something formal? Are you working outdoors? Are you just plain enjoying the outdoors? Is it a humid summer day or a freezing winter day? Is it a morning activity or are you out at night?

Whether guns, knives, flashlights, watches, multi-tools, etc., having a few options lets you customize your carry for the day. You might want a small folder and a pocket revolver on a hot day. You might want a double-stack semi-auto and a large folder on a cold day. You might want a 10mm or magnum revolver with a fixed blade when you're out in the woods. You might want a multi-tool with a corkscrew when you're on a date or at a picnic. You might want a warm flashlight at night or a cool one during the day.

A "rotation" is just a group of tools that allows you to better meet those diverse needs. My rotation isn't so extravagant that I don't get used to my tools. Some of my tools certainly have "character" and familiarity. Many relationships are tied to situations such as work, family, or church so those fond EDC associations still occur. My rotation makes up my daily carry and helps me to be properly equipped for every day.

I EDC'd a ZT 0200 for over 10 years. It got so dull that I couldn't put a decent edge on that recurve. As of today I still cant. So I went out and bought a OD Green Griptilian. I EDC'd that for about two years then found a new brick & mortar store close to my house. I went knife crazy. I bought a knife a month, or more. ZT's, Spyderco's, Benchmade's, SAK's. Now I have all these knives, and some I just don't like, or want anymore. I hate to admit it, but I'm actually embarrassed that I spent that much money on knives in such a short period. Just yesterday I carried the OD Grip, and realized this is all I need, or my Endura. Two perfect knives for me. A Victorinox Tinker is also a keeper. I have been giving some knives away to friends of mine that are less fortunate/can't afford a quality knife. I need to liquidate, and go back to just a couple edc basics.

I see where you are coming from here but the fact is, some tools are better for certain situations. For instance, are you dressed up for work? Are you just hanging around the house? Are you doing something formal? Are you working outdoors? Are you just plain enjoying the outdoors? Is it a humid summer day or a freezing winter day? Is it a morning activity or are you out at night?

Whether guns, knives, flashlights, watches, multi-tools, etc., having a few options lets you customize your carry for the day. You might want a small folder and a pocket revolver on a hot day. You might want a double-stack semi-auto and a large folder on a cold day. You might want a 10mm or magnum revolver with a fixed blade when you're out in the woods. You might want a multi-tool with a corkscrew when you're on a date or at a picnic. You might want a warm flashlight at night or a cool one during the day.

A "rotation" is just a group of tools that allows you to better meet those diverse needs. My rotation isn't so extravagant that I don't get used to my tools. Some of my tools certainly have "character" and familiarity. Many relationships are tied to situations such as work, family, or church so those fond EDC associations still occur. My rotation makes up my daily carry and helps me to be properly equipped for every day.
Having the right tools for different jobs of course makes sense.
What I dont do, is for example having a (non knife job related) specific blade for every day of the week and rotate between them. A rotation, if you will.

For years, I kept a Spyderco Military CPM-M4, a ZT 0560 and a a Military S90V on the bathroom counter. Every morning, I just grabbed one and put it in my pocket.

Now, those are in the drawer, and my Manix 2 Maxamet is in my pocket every day.

I've never really carried a large knife but the Zt 462 has been in my pocket for a few months. And of course a small traditional in the other pocket. ;)

Last edited:
I take it as knives "for every day use" (opening boxes, cutting up packaging, removing a splinter, trimming the odds and ends we encounter around the shop/house/shed), as opposed to special purpose knives (chef, hunting, camp, etc). Like JJ_Colt45 JJ_Colt45 I carry a knife every day. Not necessarily the same knife. The few that get carried the most are my "rotation". If the term rotation is illogical to the OP, then what is a better term?

We have "EDC rotation" or "the few knives I use for every day tasks that I carry routinely, more than others"

OK then, let's see "The Few Knives You Use For Every Day Tasks That You Carry Routinely More Than Others" thread?

EDC knives are knives that can be carried every day, or carried as part of your daily routine.
Doesn't mean you litterally carry the same knife every single day.
Today there are places and situations where you cannot carry a knife every single day (airplane travel, etc).

Carrying one knife every day naturally forces the knife to build character.
This is kinda what I always thought, and one of the reasons I prefer to stick mostly with one knife. All my folders are in a knife roll hung in my bedroom so I can't help seeing them before I head out for the day. Sometimes I'll take a look and just be in the mood to carry another one on a certain day but I don't "rotate" and for the most part stick with just one. Considering I don't really collect just for the sake of collecting and only buy ones that I take a specific liking to it seems contradictory to buy several knives and carry only one but not much about what I do in this hobby makes much sense in the first place.

My EDC for a few years has been an Alox cadet. I've had a silver for a long time, then added a red & blue, (although my wife confiscated the red one for her purse), and one is always in my left front pocket. That's in addition to whatever "main" blade I'm carrying. I don't have anything like a rotation for my main blades, but there are only a select few that actually see much use.
IMG_0675-X3.jpg

EDC knives are knives that can be carried every day, or carried as part of your daily routine.
Doesn't mean you litterally carry the same knife every single day.
Today there are places and situations where you cannot carry a knife every single day (airplane travel, etc).
I look at it mostly like that. As opposed to "knife I never carry that stays in my safe." EDC means suitable for carrying in most situations and more than likely regularly carried.

Shorter than MPBCOAGDOTW (may possibly be carried on any given day of the week.)

What are your thoughts on having one true EDC that you carry every day?
That's a pleasant thought. I would enjoy having just one, I suppose. But now I have to pick which one it would be.

An exercise in frustration at this point I fear... there's so many of the damned things around, and I like something about each one.

I don't have a "rotation", I just grab a knife and pocket it on the way out the door. Whichever is closest works.

The one I've carried the most days so far is the BM Bugout lately. Likely this would be the one that makes the cut.

Back