EDC "rotation"

I have carried a knife every day of my life for going on 50 years.

But I’ll confess to finding the term “EDC”—which is apparently a noun, a verb, and an adjective—to be a strange one.

At least now I know I’m not the only person who doesn’t know what it means.

My normal rotation includes carrying 2 knives together...normally a Medford with a Microtech.

But I’ll confess to finding the term “EDC”—which is apparently a noun, a verb, and an adjective—to be a strange one.

"EDC" is the new "tactical".
slap EDC on there and bump the price 300% for an everyday item

Lately, I have been into simplifying my typical EDC, which I define as the stuff I have in me when I’m not in the woods or traveling by air. Still, I do like a little rotation and feel a need to have some special purpose knives. Here is my typical EDC:

Always:
Watch - IWC Pilot
Wedding ring
Cell Phone
SAK Cadet
Nitecore Pen/glass breaker
LM PS Style
Promethius QRv2 flashlight

Rotating:
Fiddleback Forge Runt or EDK

Special Purpose:
Fiddleback Forge Sneaky Pete - Hiking
FF Bushfinger - Backpacking
CRK Mnandi - Dress; Business Casual

Leaving the property:
Car and House Keys
Wallet
UL FAK

EDC is a modern phenomenon, where seemingly normal people weigh their pockets down with endless items, which although never needed, nevertheless are imperative to carry. This necessitates a heavy duty belt, to prevent trousers shooting to the ground at inopportune moments. Once every pocket is full, it is time for them to deploy the man-bag, which is used as a residual container for everything that could not be crammed into the multiple trouser pockets. Once the man-bag is full, it is time to look to the truck. There must surely be more stuff we can jam in there, to go along with the BOB and GHB stashed in the back seat. And so on and so forth. ;)

OP thanks for the topic. It’s makes me think about my EDC approach. And I realized two things - I’m don’t really like changes, and time is flying :( So my EDC is:
Wallet - bifold by Petec since 2011 (!!!)
Watch - Seico solar since 2012
Lighter - Zippo scrimshaw, actually it’s no scrimshaw couple of years))) - since 2011
Pen - Parker sonnet fountain since 2017 (after death of previous one since 2010)
Keychain tool - Leatherman brewther since 2015
Flashlight - SureFire titan plus since 2016 (or 15)
And finally knives)))
SAK compact - since 2017 (slim down from huntsman after 10 years of carry)
Spyderco Caly-3 cf/zdp189 - since 2014 (official, work-office)
Strider SnG - since 2016 (out of work)
So I change my setup very rarely, and all my other knives (around 100) is more for fun and to feed my interest in forms and varieties :)

My current EDCs are an alox pioneer and a Buck 110 with s30v blade. I do carry these two every day. On weekends I pack a fixed blade too, depending on what I'll be doing.

Semantics are always fun so I'll play.

I EDC a bandana, but not this particular bandana. That is, for me, EDC is a list of categories of things that go out into the world with on a daily basis. It isn't a specific item in each category necessarily. I EDC a money clip but I don't have the same exact bills in the clip every day. I EDC a water bottle but don't have the same water in it.

Still, I get the point of endless thrashing about among certain specific things that isn't really helpful.

A story... When I was a kid and aspiring skier, I read an article by Ingemar Stenmark in which he advised young racers to stick with a single ski instead of chasing different skis each year. He advised that a skier should stick to a single ski until they've filed the edges of it so that they can learn how to extract as much performance from a ski through their technique instead of trying to buy their way to results.

A guy on my rifle team says the same thing... pay attention to the shooter who only shoots one gun.

I EDC a Leatherman Micra in my RFP and a large traditional single blade folder in my RRP. That large traditional is almost always a Buck 110 or Opinel #9. If I'm going away for the weekend and I don't what is in store, the Opinel gets taken as I find it more versatile. But finding the versatility of the Opinel (or the Buck 110) comes only after a lot of use with those knives.

Counter point, I had to experiment with a bunch of other knives to rule them out first. In hindsight, I would say that my EDC rotation hadn't been sorted out yet but that applies to everything I carry, not just the knives.

EDC is a modern phenomenon, where seemingly normal people weigh their pockets down with endless items, which although never needed, nevertheless are imperative to carry. This necessitates a heavy duty belt, to prevent trousers shooting to the ground at inopportune moments. Once every pocket is full, it is time for them to deploy the man-bag, which is used as a residual container for everything that could not be crammed into the multiple trouser pockets. Once the man-bag is full, it is time to look to the truck. There must surely be more stuff we can jam in there, to go along with the BOB and GHB stashed in the back seat. And so on and so forth. ;)

If one considers George "Nessmuck" Sears to be modern (and I do) then yes...
http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/04/gear-of-george-washington-searsnessmuk.html

Well, considering your arguments I have my appointments:

Knife discussion:
I carry from Monday to Friday since 2013 a ZT770CF. Before that I used to carry a CRKT M16 (2010-2013), before CRKT I carried a Vinagre (brazilian "lookalike" version of a Delica - 2005-2011) and before that only a Wenger Backpacker (1994-2004).

I "rotate" knives mainly on weekends (Friday night to Sunday) since 2010 or when hunting or camping (fixed blades obviously).

Flashlights:

Before 2010 I was very negligent about flashlight, then I started to carry ocasionally my Mini Maglite...around 2012 I started to EDC the Mini Maglite. On 2014 I switch to an Olight s10 and since 2017 I´m carrying a SF Titan Plus.

Used to change to a G2X LE when hunting or camping.

Watch:
I wear a Longines Automatic since 2009, before that was a Timex Titanium (2003-2009).
On weekends, hunting days or sports normally a GShock.

SAK/MT: I rotate from 6 to 6 months between a Vic Classic, a Wenger Esquire and a Vic Executive. Between a sort of time (2015-2017) I used to rotate a Vic Compact too.

Used to change to a Leatherman Wave when hunting or camping.

Lighter:
Mini Bic, since 2009, I think.
Zippos on Weekends.

Gun:
Taurus 617 revolver since 2013.
Before that I didn´t carry.
I intend to switch to a Glock 19...maybe.

Knife:
Ritter RSKMk1G2 or my soon to be XM-18 3.5" Gen 6(happy birthday to myself there)
Leatherman Surge (in a skinth XL shield pouch set up for horizontal carry
Flashlight:
Zebralight SC52
Wallet:
Saddleback Leather Bifold (the pouch)
Keys
Lighter:
Jobon butane lighter
Backup capsule lighter (regular lighter fuel)
Watch:
Bernhardt Diver (out of commission atm due to a stripped crown)
Phone:
Galaxy S8

And a homemade bandana.

Aside for wanting a firearm this pretty much covers all the needs I have day to day. The surge has gotten me out of a few pinches when needing to fix my own gear too

Back