EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

E5Uy7wt.jpg

You've played by the rules and taken care of business. Wife and children. Home mortgage. Car payments. Dance lessons and soccer practice. Retirement planning. Always putting others first. But now its time to think of yourself. Introducing the 2022 Husky Folding Lock-back Utility Knife. Finely crafted from cheap pot metal by strange, gibberish-speaking foreigners in a distant land, the Husky utility knife imparts a pride of ownership found nowhere else in knifedom. The Husky's stainless utility blade slices cardboard and carpet with aplomb, while saving the blade on your "good" knife for other tasks. With its rich, sanguine hue, exquisite texture, unsurpassed ergonomics and polished pocket clip, the Husky is ready for adventure from the urban jungle to mountain trout streams. Priced under $9.00 at your local big box store. Husky - Built for Adventure.

PsrfiQK.jpg

Absolutely brilliant, really gave me a much needed chuckle this afternoon. Thanks.

I was reminded again today why I don’t carry this knife very often. While it has great potential, it literally takes no pressure at all to close the blade. I wish I had a better understanding or working knowledge of this “double detent” system, but if anyone has any suggestions I’d love to hear them. I’ve emailed Isham Bladeworks several times to see if there’s anything they can do to give it some sense of “lock up” when opened…..but my inquiries have gone unanswered.

It’s a shame that using it scares the crap outta me. At least I got a pretty cool pic today, lol.

To paraphrase what @Sharp & Fiery said about another slip joint, I’m now the proud owner of a glorified letter opener.

God help me if I hit any tape with it….

View attachment 1603639

hqdefault-7.jpg

Jus couldn't bear absence, wantd2c u guys.no new nife

Haven’t carried a Griptilian in a while. Figured I would rectify that with today’s carry.

I keep looking at them... Ho do you like it?
I have had numerous Griptilians over the years. I started off with the standard 154CM with the black nylon scales. Liked the handle ergos, but didn’t care for the hollow sound from the handles. I later swapped the scales to AWT aluminum scales when he first started out. Really, liked the knife even more after that. I later gifted that knife to a good friend who still carries that knife. My preference is for G10, Carbon Fiber, or Micarta for the scales. The Griptilian is a great work knife for me and I enjoy using it in the shop.

JonesE
This Griptilian chatter got me into the top of the two levels of the box that store my Benchmades, selecting this one for Wilkins Wednesday.

vZFu2op.jpg

WISx9XS.jpg

This was once a 551 in 154CM but is now pretty much unrecognizable as a Grip with Kevin's clear coat aluminum scales and S30V replacement blade. Like JonesE, I think Griptilians make for great mid-sized workers with multiple blade styles from which to choose. Of the 5 others I still own, 3 also wear Wilkins--a large/small pair of M390 G10 Ritters and a 154CM Ti 550--with one 551S wearing green canvas Micarta Igordeds and only my 551-1702 with factory scales as it's a black paper Micarta M390 Knifeworks Exclusive. I find the usual Noryl scales bothersome both, as JonesE said, for their hollow sound, as well as the discomfort of their sharp plastic jimping.
Well: you gotten me into even MORE trouble... They're now on my list! , and have been ordered.
M4, and carbon fiber version...
The factory handle shape is indeed quite ergonomic, though, as JonesE wrote, the plastic jimping notwithstanding, and I'm eager to see your M4 CF knife when you get it. Is that one ordered from the Custom shop or did you find a Gold Class available somewhere?

Last edited:
Stayed with the Le Thiers theme but in a slightly smaller package for an absolutely chaotic Wednesday afternoon.

In fact, I only got around to snapping two pics today, which may be an all-time record low for me.

One of the two pics was an extremely blurry closeup of the hem of my shorts meeting what I hope to god was my hairy upper thigh.

I guess it kinda goes without sayin’….but I ultimately decided to go public with the second one…
30DDAA94-046F-4709-A44A-C4CE9D82E6CE.jpeg

Back