Ever heard of GSM Outdoors? They just bought Cold steel.

Again, seriously?

You realize the former employees have been posting elsewhere on the internet right?
Where? I have asked repeatedly that a link to such information to be posted here in this thread for confirmation. So far nothing but hearsay......post an actual link to the information.....

Where? I have asked repeatedly that a link to such information to be posted here in this thread for confirmation. So far nothing but hearsay......post an actual link to the information.....

Just like Cold Steel, I don't owe you anything. I've done my best to do some research and provide my findings and all you've done is dismiss it. Get yourself a Facebook account and go looking.

I think some folks have been following the official FB group. Go find your own “link”. It’s Monday and Sold Steel isn’t answering the phone. Please bring something constructive to the discussion rather than a refusal to admit you were wrong.

It appears to me that they have decided that there's no place at GSM for Lynn's shenanigans, and plan to keep him under wraps.

The blanket apology was weird as hell. Unless he went on a recent rant and had a public melt down, what would he be apologizing for? Obviously some (*cough* me *cough*) people have their issues with CS and Lynn, but he's always been unapologetic about it before. The cue card/teleprompter pre-written "personal message" is fraught with unspoken undertones and implications.

You should be a politician.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/617493781733720/ <--------------- They were Cold Steel's largest fan group, and the workers are posting there. Join if you want to read it.

Last edited:
The new owners can always get the China Counterfeiters to make them and sell at current prices and make some money.

This is an interesting twist to the global economy. There are probably dozens of counterfeit Cold Steel designs that are being cranked out by the thousand from a handful of Chinese factories. Some of these knives are visually and functionally identical to the real thing, most need only slight upgrades to fit/finish and cosmetics to pass into the American market unquestioned. So, is there a profit path through working with the same people who are currently counterfeiting your products? The small amount of info shared by US brand personalities seems to indicate the answer is already "Yes" but it's done quietly.

I've seen the AD10/15 and Voyager clones up close. The Voyagers are spot on and actually may have been grey market. The ADs were so close only a peek inside at the lock-bar finish, mild blade play, and shitty laser engraving gave them away. They'd probably fool a good portion of casual buyers.

Is this the future of Cold Steel?
cs233.png

Spyderco was able to get into Walmart. SOG and Kershaw too. Cold Steel is on the same level as them. Cold Steel also has a tremedous internet presence, especially among the young. They're absolutely massive on Youtube (1 million + subs), probably they biggest presence of any major knife company. And their Instagram numbers are inline with all the other popular knife companies.

Spyderco is the same level as CO, or simply their Chinese-produced Byrd line? In any event, CS has no where near the name recognition of Buck, Case, Swiss Army, etc. to "average Americans."

One of Cold Steel's problems was always having a steady supply stream, if GSM can fix that, they can certainly make a play for Walmart.

You're one of the few people that has mentioned this, and LCT alluded to this in his video. Huge, key point. It makes me wonder for example if it's a matter of credit $$$ for CS, is it a matter of a poor (or non-existent) ERP system at CS, or is it a matter of a poorly configured sales channel?

CS HQ has been out of several models for a while now, yet some online retailers seem to have stock. Is that stock they have bought and paid for, or is it product in the sales channel? I'm sorta curious about that.

A thought:

If Cold Steel, in it's most recent past life, was REALLY dependent on one man, then this transition was bound to happen eventually.

If LT got hit by a bus, then the new owner would have been, for example, some distant nephew who probably also had no interest in knives(?) So, he'd sell it to whoever would give him the most money....

In this case, there are two advantages: 1) A coherent transition that allows at least a fighting chance that the brand continues with some qualities similar to the CS you know and love....maybe. 2) LT has a chance to enjoy the fruits of his life-long labors.

Guess you could wish that it was sold "inside" the knife community, if you want. But who knows what diligent attempt was made?

Anyway, whether sold or willed, we are stuck just where we are now: Hoping for the best.

T TiCKed
Great post and one glossed over by those not versed in the family business way of doing things.

Mine is an interesting one. My grandfather started the business, but really, by the time he had started it my dad was the golden goose doing the work and making the business grow. So while we are a 3rd generation business, its more like a 2.5.

I am the one filling my dad's leadership shoes, and I can tell you without a doubt, this business will NOT be as grand as it is even right now. It's can't be. I brought up in it, groomed for it, and have by all measures made sure it has prospered on my watch. However, the growth and success was due to savvy and strategy not raw passion and talent. I can job cost us into a profit. I can negotiate terms and supply chains with the best of them. However, I simply don't have the skill set to just down in the mud and do it the way my dad does it and has done it for 45 years.

The greatest level of passion will almost always follow the founder to his grave. Im just incredibly blessed to have a younger brother 20 years my junior who has my dad's technical skills so that I can concentrate on the back end.

LT is Cold Steel at its heart. Thats not what is on paper, but the life blood of that company flowed through his veins.

T TiCKed
Great post and one glossed over by those not versed in the family business way of doing things.

Mine is an interesting one. My grandfather started the business, but really, by the time he had started it my dad was the golden goose doing the work and making the business grow. So while we are a 3rd generation business, its more like a 2.5.

I am the one filling my dad's leadership shoes, and I can tell you without a doubt, this business will NOT be as grand as it is even right now. It's can't be. I brought up in it, groomed for it, and have by all measures made sure it has prospered on my watch. However, the growth and success was due to savvy and strategy not raw passion and talent. I can job cost us into a profit. I can negotiate terms and supply chains with the best of them. However, I simply don't have the skill set to just down in the mud and do it the way my dad does it and has done it for 45 years.

The greatest level of passion will almost always follow the founder to his grave. Im just incredibly blessed to have a younger brother 20 years my junior who has my dad's technical skills so that I can concentrate on the back end.

LT is Cold Steel at its heart. Thats not what is on paper, but the life blood of that company flowed through his veins.

Very nice discussion of family businesses. Cold Steel is this type of business. With no one in the family to take over the business, the alternatives are to fold the business or sell it. The good business move is to sell it.

My father groomed me to take over the family business. I didn't have his skill set, and went in another direction. He sold his business and ten years later it folded.

Lynn Thompson, while unconventional, was the "magic" behind Cold Steel. It may continue with success of a different kind, or it may not.

Back