Ever heard of GSM Outdoors? They just bought Cold steel.

I had previously adopted the “John McClane Back Glock Lifestyle”.

Can you fashion a duct tape sheath that can accommodate a Back Machete and my Back 19?

“Back Machete-Glock” could be a game changer for me.

Back on topic: I’ve been carrying my CS Kiridashi the last couple of days. I’m always amazed at how solid even a small CS feels. Still waiting for my Kahn to show up!
I still don’t know how he managed to tape a gun on a sweaty back. Movie magic I guess, lol.

While I've never been a giant fan of Cold Steel (albeit I've owned a handful), I certainly empathize with those who are over this news. I felt the same sort of disappointment when Al Mar Knives went through this not too long ago. At the very least, it's cause for concern about the future of the company and its products.

I don't have any criminations or recriminations to hurl, but to lighten the mood, here is a picture of my old Mini Shinobu in VG-1 San Mai steel (with my daughter investigating a hole in the background):

[img]

Yep, and those were decent prices for those.

If this kind of stuff in that kind of price range was to continue, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Having the option of the upgraded steel or the more affordable AUS-8 in the Lawman seems like it would be a smart move.
I’d prefer that as well, but it feels too optimistic. Budget steels will probably be the name of the game now, which is disappointing.

So, I see at least two potential issues with this:

1. How many times in life, when discussing hobbies, knives, etc. and things outside our personal lives, do we get confirmation directly from a "first hand source"? And does that mean we shouldn't have or voice any opinions or thoughts that can't be attributed directly to a "first hand source"?

2. Who gets to define "first hand source"? In this case, Cold Steel / GSM themselves is obviously a first hand source. What about current employees, not giving the "official" company line? Former employees, who may have an axe to grind? or who may be getting compensated or under contract to give off only "positive vibes"? What about knife industry insiders? Does their position make them a first hand source? Are knife reviewers a first hand source of information about the knives? Does that mean you can watch or read a knife review and become a provider of someone else's first hand source information? Again, who gets to decide who or what is a "first hand source", and who/what isn't?

There are some great facts and wonderful information presented here on Bladeforums, but in my experience, in the forums I frequent, there is a lot more "opinion and preference" stated than "facts".

All I asked for is confirmation of the stories from a first hand source, and was met with hostility.

God help these forums if Spyderco or CRK sells :rolleyes:
Those are family businesses, much different than the one man show Cold Steel was. Plus, Lynn built his business on his bravado (all be it silly, IMO, but he did back it up), Spyderco and CRK on the reputation of the product and they are invested more in the sense that they actually make their own product. Remember, Cold steel actually makes nothing, owns no factories, employs no manufacturing work force. Plus, CRK is doing just fine without the C...

I posted this in the GB&U but I'm at 30, 19, 15, and 11 days waiting on my last 4 packages. The 30 and 11 just showed up this morning.

I cannot in good conscience "like" this post. My delays are much less at current (knocks on all wood within reach) but yeah, it's the worst I can recall in recent memory. :(

Remember, Cold steel actually makes nothing, owns no factories, employs no manufacturing work force.

This. Cold Steel makes nothing. They've been sold out from the beginning. Honestly find all the hand wringing over this pretty funny. But I guess I just haven't been seriously interested in any Cold Steels for about a decade, so that's probably just me.

Well, Lynn has always been unapologetic, and he had special kind of energy in his videos.
It's gone now.

He's now dancing how GSM is playing, and they even put that other guy in "What you want back" video instead.

From boss to fiddle... well he cashed out and fired his crew right before Christmas, and he slapped his fans in the face with his actions (crappy sheaths, 4034 stainless...).
This is the price he has to pay now.

I'm not going to lie, there are things about the cold steel ad15 that I like better than the custom one :oops:

They did a REALLY good job on those:thumbsup:

Just be careful of clones. They were pretty easy to spot before when they were selling for like $50, but now I'm seeing them listed for what the real ones go for, so harder to tell. Some are still easy to spot cuz they claim CF scales, have blue lockbars, and/or M390 blades.

This. Cold Steel makes nothing. They've been sold out from the beginning. Honestly find all the hand wringing over this pretty funny. But I guess I just haven't been seriously interested in any Cold Steels for about a decade, so that's probably just me.

I've never understood this logic. IP creation is the main engine for many industries, of which Cold Steel has been one of the tops in the knife sector for several years. They pay someone else to stamp/grind/heat treat/assemble, to their specifications. What they create in IP, design, and technology is a tangible asset as much as a company that stamps blanks or heat-treats those blanks. They may not manufacture knives, but they certainly make them. Lynn is a titan of this industry and his helmsmanship of Cold Steel will be missed.

I've never understood this logic. IP creation is the main engine for many industries, of which Cold Steel has been one of the tops in the knife sector for several years. They pay someone else to stamp/grind/heat treat/assemble, to their specifications. What they create in IP, design, and technology is a tangible asset as much as a company that stamps blanks or heat-treats those blanks. They may not manufacture knives, but they certainly make them. Lynn is a titan of this industry and his helmsmanship of Cold Steel will be missed.
They don't make knives. Sorry.

You are conflating a lot of things that are true with one thing that is not true.

Last edited:
Back