Ever heard of GSM Outdoors? They just bought Cold steel.

Oh wow, this thread is still going on strong :D

There seems to be a lot of opinions on this, but let's remember LT could have just decided to retire completely, close the business, liquidate the machinery, location, remaining stock, any materials anjd the intellectual property piece by piece and told employees "thanks, good luck, today's your last day" and taken off to parts unknown. He took the offer he could get which isn't always the offer you want. I know we'd all like to see the animated corpse of LT still running CS 50 years from now and dodging rebounding machete swords but the man gets to retire when he wants.
I totally agree with you.

But I think he could have handled this better than what he did to his now former employees. He took their jobs away prior to Christmas in the middle of pandemic.

I also got booted from my job because of this COVID thing, and I know how hard it is to get something else.

Also, not only he did that, but he actually stayed there as a puppet of his new owner...

Now, our current knives we have that are produced prior to transition are Old Steel.

And new ones produced after GSM transition are Sold Steel.

Even tri-ad lock will be questionable when made out of questionable materials.

4034 is cheap, easy to machine, grind and polish, they however market it as something good...

First thing they did was gut the warranty, then they made some word play to make it look good at first, but then you realize it's still useless.
Then they made Lynn read good things about them from some script.

They don't want to keep making quality, they want to cash in...

Probably same brand of frozen burritos that I nearly burnt my house down with when I put them in the toaster oven and then passed out.
I'm pretty sure they came 10 to a bag, (different colors for different flavors) and they would stick together like crazy. At the time, I was like, this is genius...whoops!

I can't remember the details but the scar and numbness is a constant reminder to stay sober and be careful with knives. Those original Voyagers are so great. :)

The video was likely written by a metrosexual for a metrosexual; at least for someone who likes to makes choices based entirely on emotional appeal. If you are like me, that is not how we view knives. We see them mostly as tools, perhaps as weapons, but in no way as a thing that we want to build an emotional bond with. A good knife for us is simply a good and reliable tool.

n2s

Well, I mean, I can get sentimental sometimes, but such marketing always distastefully cheapens the whole thing. If you really bond with such a tool, it's always for emotional reasons that are unique to you. Because of the circumstances. Because you've been through something with that knife. Because of your memories.

For me, it's the old military issued Victorinox I got as a gift when I was a wee lad. That knife went through most of the boyscouts and school with me. I still have it, and it still makes me smile. I have more knives than I care to admit now, but I still keep that knife in tiptop shape and I still take it out of the cupboard sometimes. For a company to try and artificially replicate that feeling in a short video inevitably really misses the mark. It just feels fake and childish somehow. And it almost makes me throw up a little.

Well, I mean, I can get sentimental sometimes, but such marketing always distastefully cheapens the whole thing. If you really bond with such a tool, it's always for emotional reasons that are unique to you. Because of the circumstances. Because you've been through something with that knife. Because of your memories.

For me, it's the old military issued Victorinox I got as a gift when I was a wee lad. That knife went through most of the boyscouts and school with me. I still have it, and it still makes me smile. I have more knives than I care to admit now, but I still keep that knife in tiptop shape and I still take it out of the cupboard sometimes. For a company to try and artificially replicate that feeling in a short video inevitably really misses the mark. It just feels fake and childish somehow. And it almost makes me throw up a little.
Agreed. I have memories and experience with one of my Griptilians. I like keeping it around to remind me of those times. Another Grip doesn’t really work the same way.

Now, our current knives we have that are produced prior to transition are Old Steel.

And new ones produced after GSM transition are Sold Steel.

Even tri-ad lock will be questionable when made out of questionable materials.

4034 is cheap, easy to machine, grind and polish, they however market it as something good...

First thing they did was gut the warranty, then they made some word play to make it look good at first, but then you realize it's still useless.
Then they made Lynn read good things about them from some script.

They don't want to keep making quality, they want to cash in...
True. I’d hate to see a substandard Tri-Ad lock. If I can’t hang a couple of bowling balls on my 5 ounce knife, it ain’t Cold Steel.

If GSM wants the trust of knife guys, they gotta maintain the quality and toughness the brand was known for. And do something about the sheaths too.

I think it would be hilarious if due to future lowered QC standards some other manufacturer sued CS for making substandard knives.

True. I’d hate to see a substandard Tri-Ad lock. If I can’t hang a couple of bowling balls on my 5 ounce knife, it ain’t Cold Steel.

If GSM wants the trust of knife guys, they gotta maintain the quality and toughness the brand was known for. And do something about the sheaths too.

I hope so too, but...

My thought is that GSM (or more likely, the bigger group that owns them) doesn't give a crap about knife guys. In my experience with these big buyers, they are about one step above day traders in terms of their emotional investment. They tend to cut, trim, and polish up efficiency to the point profitability goes up a couple of ticks. They take a few years to make the books look better, get the numbers up, and flip it to ANOTHER group for a profit who thinks they can make it even more efficient and profitable through either more cuts or some sort of brand synergy.

I have never run into one of these big buyers that actually makes the product better than it was. The cost for the end user tends to go up or MAYBE stay the same while the product quality goes down to the point where it will still sell but not get sent back under warranty yet make the most amount of beans for the mother ship.

Once again, im an admitted cynic.

I hope so too, but...

My thought is that GSM (or more likely, the bigger group that owns them) doesn't give a crap about knife guys. In my experience with these big buyers, they are about one step above day traders in terms of their emotional investment. They tend to cut, trim, and polish up efficiency to the point profitability goes up a couple of ticks. They take a few years to make the books look better, get the numbers up, and flip it to ANOTHER group for a profit who thinks they can make it even more efficient and profitable through either more cuts or some sort of brand synergy.

I have never run into one of these big buyers that actually makes the product better than it was. The cost for the end user tends to go up or MAYBE stay the same while the product quality goes down to the point where it will still sell but not get sent back under warranty yet make the most amount of beans for the mother ship.

Once again, im an admitted cynic.
Amen to that. Well, at the end of the day, they're businessmen. Can't really fault them for cutting costs and maximizing profits. If they go the cheap steel route though, for the safety of the user I hope the choice of steel makes sense at least. For choppers, at least get 1095 or 5160 or something.

Now I realize I don't really mind the steep asking prices of Spyderco. Better to have a pricey knife designed by someone who cares than an uber budget knife with a questionable warranty.

Just ordered a Cold Steel Special Forces Spetsnaz shovel. Been wanting one for a while and figured I better get it while I still can.

It’s these neat items that Cold Steel does so well. I hope they continue to make all the kooky stuff, and in the same or better quality.

Those are one of the best camping shovels I've ever used. I need to order a spare, and maybe a spare handle or two myself. Good purchase! I'm also interested in that new one they released with the slightly longer handle.

Amen to that. Well, at the end of the day, they're businessmen. Can't really fault them for cutting costs and maximizing profits. If they go the cheap steel route though, for the safety of the user I hope the choice of steel makes sense at least. For choppers, at least get 1095 or 5160 or something.

Now I realize I don't really mind the steep asking prices of Spyderco. Better to have a pricey knife designed by someone who cares than an uber budget knife with a questionable warranty.

Meh, I think you kinda can fault them, to a degree. I love the world of business from a societal and psychological perspective. Capitalism cannot be "pure" lest it become clinical. If only numbers matter, then why even have an entire field on Business Ethics. How touchy-feely one gets about how business is handled will ultimately come down to a balancing act between understanding how the transaction of goods and services are weighed from a monetary measure of profit but must also viewed through the lens of what is "right".

I have found brand quality to by cyclical if it makes it past the first purchase/handover. They are usually successful, passed on or sold, then fold or become shells to fold or be sold to someone who doesn't really understand the specifics of the business, then if the brand is known well enough, someone with private capital who may have actually be inspired by the business steps in and elevates it again as an homage. However, no one can match the passion and desire of the founder. They were the one to put in the time, effort, sleepless nights, phone calls to the bank, put their kid's activities on the backburner out of necessity. Even when handed to a family member, this level of skin in the game cannot be matched. Hell, I am living proof. My old man build this company with my grandfather's financial backing. He missed ball games, broke promises to me, fell asleep on the couch before eating warmed up dinner as soon as he staggered in after 16 hours, and worked so much from before sun up to long after dark that there was a time that I asked my mom if dad was ever coming back home not realizing that he was, every night, he just was getting in after i went to bed and left before i woke up. Now, I'm actually a tick older today than he was in those times, but he made me promise not to do any of that at the expense of his granddaughter. In his mind, he paid a price for building something. The cost of success was missing the precious things that we do not get back. He paid that cost and learned his lesson so that I could be the dad that drops his kid off at school every morning, never misses her martial arts practice, is home before 8pm and usually by 6, and can put in the time to assure my daughter that I am present and engaged and that what she does matters to me more than work. I honestly don't know HOW to sacrifice like my old man did.

This is why I take issue with the whole "just business" way of things are spun. In this case, GSM is fine, LT is fine, the workers are NOT fine, and I feel that we as consumers will be left with a stable of products that will be of lower quality (and most certainly void of any child-like LT passion) where we as knife khuts collectively shrug our shoulders and pine for the good ol' days until we pass on from the hobby and the next generation has no clue about the big manic dude who filmed hacking up pig carcasses with his products on DVD and shipped it with every order as proof of how tough his knives were. Time marches on, I guess.

Due to the current GSMO shenanigans, I just thought to myself, maybe you should buy now that sword cane you were circling around for the giggles. Now, I remember a year, or so, ago, it was offered by one of my favorite retailers and the steel was 1055 (a good steel for swords). When I checked in to the site, they still have it in stock but the steel is 420. Not a problem by itself, it will do the job, but for Bob's sake can't you honestly state exactly what steel you use ? 420HC ? 420J2 ? Unspecified 420 something from China ? It feels like the quackster information you get on an EB sale (blade : stainless, handle : plywood...). Won't buy. It seems the demise of CS didn't start yesterday.

Last edited:

That'd trully be the end of the brand.

As things are - it's still theoretically possible to see the twist to the better...

Just... it's very unlikley.

Cold Steel’s success was in finding numerous, underserved niches and filling them with decent product. They are the first company that comes to mind for extra large folders, hard use canes, blowguns, throwing implements, and polypropylene tools, for example. The various items they brought under one roof will still be available, but I wonder how hard it will be to track them down.

This is the best suggestion but I have to show off how old school CS I am by mentioning the White Wax Wood Staff.
Long unavailable, I reckon.

I still have one that I picked up from a parking lot sale a long time ago. You can't find WWW staves that thick on the internet sites, and it is the product I miss most about the CS lineup.

You might (or not) miss these fine (?) items in the future. Thankfully, you have your Boar Spear. I also regret not buying their Naginata when it was available. That was a clever product (hiking staff + spear). Well...

LMAO , oh hell I don't think some people here could handle it . We'd need an intervention with mental heath professionals. :)
We are in tough times. But soooooo much energy directed into a defunct knife company. Good Lord, maybe I should get into motorcycles, metal detecting, hunting, fishing, primitive outdoor survival skills, reading a decent book, etc. Wait a minute....... I already do all that........ I suspect that much of the directed negative energy is a by product of underlying Covid and economic stress, which is real.

Just a random thought, from me.

I never cared too much for Cold Steel's knives. They're great knives, just not for me.
What I will miss, are their tomahawks. I had the Trail Hawk and the Norse Hawk at one time.
Honestly, and especially for the money, those were awesome 'hawks. Fun to modify, easy to sharpen, and they worked with fire prep fairly well.
I wish I had kept them. I have a bad habbit of giving away good tools to people I know would like them. Hopefully Sold Steel keeps making their Hawks.

Back