Everything Lefties thread

Hi everyone, another lefty checking in. I'm the only left handed child in a large family and my only access was cheap liner locks or slipjoints, so when I started carrying pocket knives as a late teenager ~15 years ago I would keep the knife in my right front pocket, take it out and open it with my right hand, transfer it to my left hand, use it for whatever and then transfer it back and close it with my right hand. Took me several weeks to adapt to left handed open/close and carry.

I experimented with most of the lock styles on the market but after selling off most of my collection during the recession I've lost interest in right-handed and non-ambidextrous designs. It did take me a while to finally give up on SAKs, I really like the knives but got tired of fumbling around trying to use them. Still carry the torch for Leathermans, even though the Wave/Signal are both hard right-handed tools their usefulness makes up for it.

Right now I'm mainly using Spyderco mid-locks and the Lefty Military but keeping an eye out for mid-2000s ambi/lefty designs like the Kershaw RAM, ZT Mudd, CRKT M-21L and so forth. I think the sliding dead-bolt style locks were some of the best unintentionally lefty friendly locks ever.

dscf1715.jpg

spoonrobot spoonrobot check out the Spyderco Smock. It's left handed friendly. My nephew really liked it when I showed a brand new one, never used, that I just got in.
Anyway, some horse trading on his part, mainly his time to work it off and he now has it. No doubt, it's a popular model.

I think I fix it? I don't know how to work that box. But I leave well.over half the conversations I was in. So if that means i cleared them then i have cleared them. Give it a shot.

20191009_154357.jpg

Did double duty today. The right pocket toted the bailout. Poor right hand had to feel the pain the left hand normally has to feel. Ha ha left hand pay back.

On a positive note, a lot of refrigerators are assembled for left handed people. I might be wrong here, but this is the way I see it. If you look at a fridge and the door handle is on the left side, it's left handed. Think about it.
If you go in your bathroom, stand facing the tub, if the drain is to your left, it's a left handed tub, if it's on the right, it's right handed. Now, that's free plumbing 101 right there.

On a positive note, a lot of refrigerators are assembled for left handed people. I might be wrong here, but this is the way I see it. If you look at a fridge and the door handle is on the left side, it's left handed. Think about it.
If you go in your bathroom, stand facing the tub, if the drain is to your left, it's a left handed tub, if it's on the right, it's right handed. Now, that's free plumbing 101 right there.
When I remodeled our bathrooms I put the shower heads and drains on the left hand wall so when you walk into the bathroom looking into the bathroom it's on the left but I didn't think of it back then. I just figured it looked better. Who knew I was automatically setting them up left handed. Thanks I'm not gonna tell my wife. But I will smile tonight when I shower

When I remodeled our bathrooms I put the shower heads and drains on the left hand wall so when you walk into the bathroom looking into the bathroom it's on the left but I didn't think of it back then. I just figured it looked better. Who knew I was automatically setting them up left handed. Thanks I'm not gonna tell my wife. But I will smile tonight when I shower

Sometimes, even electricians get it right :D:p

Just checked all the tubs and showers in our house. All left handed....

Never thought much about refrigerator doors because I figured it had more to do with the layout of the kitchen and which way you want it to open. Also many people have the side by side style now too, so it doesn't really matter with those. I disagree about the tub though. If the faucet is on the right you can reach in and turn it on with your left hand easily before getting in.

As far as knives go, I can operate pretty much any lock with my left hand. The only thing that matters to me for a folding knife is the clip being easily reversed to the other side. When it comes to fixed blades I've mostly stuck to custom knives because it's easier to get a lefty sheath.

I don't complain about the lack of specific lefty knives because we already have it better now than any other lefties that came before us. Considering how small of a percentage we are, it doesn't make a lot of business sense to produce a large number of dedicated left handed knives and smaller production numbers often ends up in a higher cost per knife. I would like to see more ambidextrous knives from other companies though.

Never thought much about refrigerator doors because I figured it had more to do with the layout of the kitchen and which way you want it to open. Also many people have the side by side style now too, so it doesn't really matter with those. I disagree about the tub though. If the faucet is on the right you can reach in and turn it on with your left hand easily before getting in.

As far as knives go, I can operate pretty much any lock with my left hand. The only thing that matters to me for a folding knife is the clip being easily reversed to the other side. When it comes to fixed blades I've mostly stuck to custom knives because it's easier to get a lefty sheath.

I don't complain about the lack of specific lefty knives because we already have it better now than any other lefties that came before us. Considering how small of a percentage we are, it doesn't make a lot of business sense to produce a large number of dedicated left handed knives and smaller production numbers often ends up in a higher cost per knife. I would like to see more ambidextrous knives from other companies though.
I have been upgrading alot of my knives to left hand only carry. There is actually alot of aftermarket companies that many scales with the holes on the left side only. So in a way you are right. But if given the choice I'll buy a left handed knife over a ambidextrous one any day of the week. But that's just me. We also live in a time where 90% of knives are cnc-ed and it takes no time at all for them to mirror the software to produce a left handed model. So in reality there's no reason every company shouldn't many them.

Last edited:
Just checked all the tubs and showers in our house. All left handed....
I had always thought it had to do with proximity to the master plumbing stack—or maybe just a coincidence.

All of our fixtures —incl toilets and sinks—seem to be on the walls requiring the shortest plumbing, speaking as a non-plumber.

OTOH, the fridge “handle” is on the left and I open with RH—seems awkward to open across my body. This handle location is mainly to preserve space in the kitchen when opening the fridge, otherwise the door would block countertops and cabinets.
(Probably a RH kitchen haha.)

I had always thought it had to do with proximity to the master plumbing stack—or maybe just a coincidence.

All of our fixtures —incl toilets and sinks—seem to be on the walls requiring the shortest plumbing, speaking as a non-plumber.

OTOH, the fridge “handle” is on the left and I open with RH—seems awkward to open across my body. This handle location is mainly to preserve space in the kitchen when opening the fridge, otherwise the door would block countertops and cabinets.
(Probably a RH kitchen haha.)

Yes, most stacks/vents are plumbed in close proximity to the fixture, so it stands to reason it would be in the closest wall to the fixture. To tell the difference between a right handed and left handed tub or fiberglass tub/shower combo, is to look at the drain, if it's on the left side standing facing the tub it's a left handed tub. Typically, the faucets are installed on the same side as the drain. Unless it's a center drain and then it doesn't matter where the faucets are mounted.
It does matter on the lay out of the kitchen which way the door opens for reasons you've stated. On most refrigerators that are single door, you can swap the orientation of the way it opens.

Back